When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC DWO V4 Review

tc670207

Some members have reflected to me about the dial centering issue on the TC Sub V5. I have also explained the whole relationship between the DWO, date window, and the dial alignment in my other article earlier this month. While TC DWO V3 works flawlessly on a 3135 clone due to its exact transfer of date, font, and position of a gen date wheel, it does take a bit more time and skill to have it on the 2824 movement during assembly. In the past, I do a light tab of the dial to center the date window and DWO. However, the slight trade off is the dial will shift a bit to the left by 0.05 (+/- 0.02) mm.

Originally I did not think this is even an issue since this variance exists in gen Rolex as well. If it isn't an issue to Rolex, then it is not an issue to me. This is an iPhone shot of a gen Sea-Dweller. Gen minute markers don't necessarily 100% touching the rehaut.
not-touching-rehaut-small_zps2f9ba178.jp

RSH, a key contributor to TC DWO V2 has reported in the past that BK's DWO does not have the left justification issue on 2824 movement. This tells me that the golden ratio for dwo on 2824 has been discovered and is achievable.

Each modder has their own secret formulas and tricks. I can't just ask for the golden ratio from BK. My parents were farmers in Texas; they've taught me - don't just ask for it but to earn it.

Driven by the perfectionist devil in me, I decided to give the DWO adjustment another try this trip to Asia.

When I passed by Japan, I told my printer again about this. She told me to leave her with a 2824 movement, a DWO, a KH 16610 dial, and the gen date wheel. She provided the DWO V4 sample when I returned to Japan. I picked up the sample after landing in Narita. 

TC DWO V3 vs TC DWO V4.
TC-DWO-V4-01_zps087f9a95.jpg

TC DWO V4 assembled into TC Sub V6. These are close up macro shots. The dates are perfectly centered in Date window. Although you can still notice minute markers not touching the mid case rehaut, it is an improvement from the V3 DWO.
TC-DWO-V4-02_zps11cc652d.jpg

TC-DWO-V4-03_zpsc74a79be.jpg

TC-DWO-V4-04_zps0ad45d9d.jpg

TC-DWO-V4-06_zpse76d5fc9.jpg

TC-DWO-V4-08_zps8e3a8fe7.jpg

This is the same TC Sub V6 shot with 12 inch (30 cm) of distance. That's about the distance we check time on our wrists. Tell me if you can still notice the gap.
TC-DWO-V4-09_zps19dccab7.jpg

TC DWO V4 provides a fine tune to the dial centering issue. I assembled a few V4 DWO on 2824 movement and I'm pleased with the result.

However, I do not promise the complete 100% center of the dial in each assembly. The minute markers on the dial may appear to be touching the mid case rehaut with naked eyes but they are not under the loupe or looked very very closely.

So for those who are extreme perfectionists, extreme purists, I would recommend to look for a modder to have it adjusted to 100% square on. It can be done, but the labor won't be cheap.

Putting on the DWO is a very fun but crafty aspect of rep watch making. If you are new to this hobby I can assure you will screw up a few times before getting it right.

Adjusting the DWO V3 takes more time and patience than the V4. But when you can handle the V3, V4 will be a piece of cake for you to install. For members who are new to this hobby, I would suggest to practice with V3 before working on the V4.

Thanks for reading.

TC

3/12/14
Edited by tc670207

You are right TC.  When you put a movement in the watch with an enlargement ring to make it fit there must be some free play, otherwise you would never get the movement in.  When you screw down the crown the spring in the crown then pushes everything to the left and holds it there, (depending on how tightly the case clamps hold the movement in place).  I have, successfully, shimed this with thick aluminum foil...to, at least make it better.