When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got this panerai dial off the bay... Need ID

Grehale

As above, was told it was original but I don't know enough to judge. Didn't pay too much for it, came from New York. Was told there was a lot of the lume missing, and there is.

Would like any ideas as to wether it's gen or not, and if so, which pam?

Thanks y'all.

Gre

5a5e2upu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sir, the 312 is black. You hold in your paw a 351 dial. I saw that on eBay too, but passed because the lume is bolloxed. Not sure what in the hell could cause that bubbling in the surface of the lume. I would send that to Goin for some magic lume treatment. This plus a KW 351 will get you a nice Franken

I think it is black, the light in my apartment may have made the photo look brown. I have a 351 and this seems darker.

It has ST stamped into the back.

I thought the lume was pasted onto the bottom ply of the dial, hence sandwich.

This is a two ply dial but the lume is in fragments?

Are there any movements that are readily available that will work well with the seconds at 9? Thinking of trying to do my first Franken project with little to no knowledge. Apart from the gruen horological texts book I got from Amazon this week! And probably a lot of silly questions on this forum.

Also thanks for all your help. Is there a difference I'd be able to spot between the 312 and the 111 from the dial alone?

It is simple to relume the bottom plate... If you separate and removed lume you would find the shaped numbers/markers engraved in the plate.... So filling is easy just fill up the engravings..

You need a C1plus C3 mix to match gen... Usually in thirds

The ST on the back refers to steel... It's on all OEM back plates unless of course they are brass ;)

I wouldn't use a KW model as the case and CG are wrong shape and incorrect markings... There are other flaws but overall it's not as accurate to gen as the ZF... The only problem with ZF is consistency so if you go that route be careful with QC...

I say that because I was fortunate enough to have all 3 ... Gen KW and ZF.... I need to get round to doing a review sometime to highlight the flaws and accuracies of both reps...

It is simple to relume the bottom plate... If you separate and removed lume you would find the shaped numbers/markers engraved in the plate.... So filling is easy just fill up the engravings..

You need a C1plus C3 mix to match gen... Usually in thirds

The ST on the back refers to steel... It's on all OEM back plates unless of course they are brass ;)

I wouldn't use a KW model as the case and CG are wrong shape and incorrect markings... There are other flaws but overall it's not as accurate to gen as the ZF... The only problem with ZF is consistency so if you go that route be careful with QC...

I say that because I was fortunate enough to have all 3 ... Gen KW and ZF.... I need to get round to doing a review sometime to highlight the flaws and accuracies of both reps...

Thanks for all that info! I already have a zf 351, and it's really amazing. Beautiful watch even if it's a replica. I'd definitely buy more zf watches. Might look into buying the case, movement and hands seperately and see what happens, and getting the lume sorted is first priority!

Thanks chaps! :)