When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Sub jungle

Ezio

Hey guys i cant stop thinking about a vintage Sub but im totally lost so guys Would appreciate all the help you guys can give me and how to proceed with Mods and how to age the dial and etc and most of all a good watch to buy to start out with the Mods

Again thanks for this great help and great forum/members

Best regards Simon

And of course good weekend :)!

I have a nice DRSD that I'm starting on. All vintage reps will need at least the following in my opinion. First, I will work on aging the current insert. Ideally I would like to find a gen and may do so later down the road. This can be accompished with a little bit of bleach and 3m pad. Next you will want to buy one of Athayas 702 crowns. They are so close to gen that it's throwing away money to try and find a gen.Then you can move on to case and bracelet aging which is hard to get authentic. There are several threads on RWI on aging cases and dials. This one is really comprehensive: http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=92860

The best suggestion is to read, read, read then look at pictures of what you think the ultimate piece is and aim for that. Ask questions and most of all, be patient. Figure out your budget is, then multiply it by 2.5 to be safe. It adds up quick. You will get it wrong at first, but the rewards are always your knowledge gain and the pursuit of what perfection is to you( which more often than not is subjective). Enjoy!

I have a nice DRSD that I'm starting on. All vintage reps will need at least the following in my opinion. First, I will work on aging the current insert. Ideally I would like to find a gen and may do so later down the road. This can be accompished with a little bit of bleach and 3m pad. Next you will want to buy one of Athayas 702 crowns. They are so close to gen that it's throwing away money to try and find a gen.Then you can move on to case and bracelet aging which is hard to get authentic. There are several threads on RWI on aging cases and dials. This one is really comprehensive: http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=92860

The best suggestion is to read, read, read then look at pictures of what you think the ultimate piece is and aim for that. Ask questions and most of all, be patient. Figure out your budget is, then multiply it by 2.5 to be safe. It adds up quick. You will get it wrong at first, but the rewards are always your knowledge gain and the pursuit of what perfection is to you( which more often than not is subjective). Enjoy!

Almost like this was my first post i do read and still do im not just a Big rolex guy so looking for the Experts for some knowledge ;)

• Like 1

My advice is to figure out which decade you want,, and that helps you figure out what shape you're looking for.

Do you like the 50s? Then you're looking for a no crown guards submariner or maybe an early explorer, or GMT.

If you like the 60s, then you're looking for submariners with crownguards, like the 5512 or 5513, or maybe even an early GMT with square guards.

When you reach the 70s or 80s, then you're starting to look at early sea dwellers, more submariners, and getting into the transition model subs.

From the 50s up through the late 70s and early 80s you're looking at plexiglass crystals, then the transition models of subs ushered in flat sapphire crystals.

That's a high altitude perspective, but it might help you narrow it down.

• Like 1

My advice is to figure out which decade you want,, and that helps you figure out what shape you're looking for.

Do you like the 50s? Then you're looking for a no crown guards submariner or maybe an early explorer, or GMT.

If you like the 60s, then you're looking for submariners with crownguards, like the 5512 or 5513, or maybe even an early GMT with square guards.

When you reach the 70s or 80s, then you're starting to look at early sea dwellers, more submariners, and getting into the transition model subs.

From the 50s up through the late 70s and early 80s you're looking at plexiglass crystals, then the transition models of subs ushered in flat sapphire crystals.

That's a high altitude perspective, but it might help you narrow it down.

Nanuq thanks helped alot im looking for that 50s look :)

• Like 1

Ezio modding is a expensive but rewarding undertaking, pic up a few try out before you go all out on a certain one/model

I tried but its hard to come by it seems :)

In general terms these are the "looks" from those decades. This is from the late 50s:

yhu7adu6.jpg

This is from the early 60s:

evapyju7.jpg

This is the early 70s:

ezujugeg.jpg

This is from the early 70s too:

my9emabu.jpg

And this is from the late 70s:

a2amyteq.jpg

Sorry I don't have anything from the 80s.

I believe that one suggestion would be to go over to the Rolex forum, lots of real experts there.

The 50's are the hardest, primarily because genuine parts from that era are scarce and incredibly expensive. It is possible to build a fairly credible late 50's era Rolex without hocking your plane, but you got to know what to look for and what to pay, because while there is good stuff out there, there is lots of trash as well.

If it were me, I would jump forward to the 70's or probably The 80's as that time frame is still recent enough that lots of gen parts are available at fairly reasonable prices. But if you want the 50's here are a couple. Rolex really began producing dive and sport watches in earnest in the mid to late 50's, before that most were not what we would consider "sport" watches.

Here is a Rolex 6542 GMT, case is from 59, so it would qualify.

post-327-139734369439.jpg

And next is a Tudor Big Crown

post-327-139734375396.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pan, your 6542 is my favorite watch of all time:). Every time I see it I go back to reading threads about how to build one. Unfortunately there are many opinions about this process which leads to more confusion. Someday my friend, someday....

I may do as the OP and start with a more simple sub build for my first one. For sure big crown no date though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding to Nanuq's comments - I would spend time researching some gen watch sites until you can narrow things down to a model (or 2) that you want to pursue. Then, spend more time researching that particular model. Google is a great place to find pics, as are the gen sites. If there are watch or estate dealers near you, visit them to see if theyh have the gen model you are interested in. If so, try it on, wind it, set the time & get a feel for how the watch operates & feels on your wrist. Remember, if accuracy is important, before you click any buy buttons for reps/frankens, it is best to learn as much as you can about the gen version.

Knowledge is your best tool when choosing a rep.

• Like 1

when you get it finished put it m2m for me  :)

Has been a looooong search to get this. Still need hands lumed and the case profile tweaked a bit. Still waiting to finish the 9315 strap.

@OP,

Takes time indeed. As you have read, aim for a particular model/look/sample and go for it. You will be soooooooo tempted to buy parts for a "similar" watch (but not the ones you really want to get) and the trick is staying focused on the end goal. 

Enough hijacking. 

E

Lovely watches and good info here.

Anyone got a link to a good site with a timeline of these watches, when they were built, images, explanations of the differences? (I don't wish to appear lazy but I know there's rather a lot of info out there of variable quality)

Damn beautiful watches all around me so was thinking my birthday is coming up

So send me some watches People hahahaha :p

Pan wasnt that 6542 i wrote to you about some time ago :)?

In general terms these are the "looks" from those decades. This is from the late 50s:yhu7adu6.jpg

This is from the early 60s:evapyju7.jpg

This is the early 70s:ezujugeg.jpg

This is from the early 70s too:my9emabu.jpg

And this is from the late 70s:a2amyteq.jpg

Sorry I don't have anything from the 80s.

Nanuq i cant come visit you now after seing this you will turn me Into a kleptomania hahahaha :D

Damn beautiful watches all around me so was thinking my birthday is coming up

So send me some watches People hahahaha :p

Pan wasnt that 6542 i wrote to you about some time ago :)?

No, the one you wrote to me about was my genuine 16750. it's a 94XXXXX Serial which dates it to 1984. another worthy project watch, although the genuine models are not crazy priced

This one:

post-327-0-43143300-1397397452_thumb.jpg

Nanuq i cant come visit you now after seing this you will turn me Into a kleptomania hahahaha :D

Oh not to worry, they live in my WWII underground concrete reinforced bunker. Bear proof too! :tu:

Oh not to worry, they live in my WWII underground concrete reinforced bunker. Bear proof too! :tu:

Hahahaha remember nanuq i bomb things for a living i can crack it open i just remember to take my bunker Buster with me i just take it in my carry on bag through airport Security shouldnt be a problem hahahaha :D