When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM GMT's

panerai153

I haven't had any PAM's in several years, not really sure why, but they came, they stayed a while and then they went! I have always been partial to GMT's. The second TZ has real utility to me, as I travel and my wife travels, plus we often travel together but need to check in with the home base. It's not hard to figure out what time it is if I'm at home in the Central TZ and my wife is in LA, but when one of us is at home and the other is 7-8 TZ's away, it helps to be able to glance at my watch and see what the time is where she is. So long story short, I'm looking at PAM GMT reps. I have had two old Eddie Lee's with the 2893-2 movements, but that was years ago. Now those are selling for big bucks. What I would like to know is from the experiences of the PAM guru's here, is which model and maker has the best "out the box" PAM GMT. I'm not really interested in so pending a small fortune on mods, although I have a brand new ETA 2893-2 movement sitting in my parts box ( bought for and I'll fated attempt to transplant into a Rolex GMT IIC. If there is something out there which would accept this movement, I would be interested in that one for sure.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the 00089 E series and it's a very stunning looking watch. I love the Anthracite dial and the fact that it goes so well with very many straps. Now for the bad. Parts for the A7750G GMT complication movement are very hard to come by. Knowing now what I didn't know back then I would send one in for a good service as soon as purchased. I didn't and the GMT hand and date quickset stopped working. I sent it in for a fix and now finding the correct parts have proven painful at best. I love the watch, but for longevity sake, you might forgive any models with seconds at 9 since they will require the 7750 modded movement. Of course mine might have been saved with a preemptive service, so YMMV.

I didn't think about these models that are using the A7750 movement. The only ones I have had in the past are models with sweep seconds that use the 2836 or 2893-2. Probably much more stable and "fixable" movements. Don't need any more watch drama in my life!! I have plenty with a couple of AP's with sec@12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go with 029, best auto rep for sure and quite a looker...some time ago they were selling with Swiss movements but fairly expensive, and since GMT module is still Chinese made, makes little sense to me to spend that kind of cash so just go with Asian clone and swap the movement is it craps, easy;)

Go with 029, best auto rep for sure and quite a looker...some time ago they were selling with Swiss movements but fairly expensive, and since GMT module is still Chinese made, makes little sense to me to spend that kind of cash so just go with Asian clone and swap the movement is it craps, easy;)

Actually that is just what I did, I already had a M2M 029 incoming. I was interested in one with the sec @9 like the 88 or the "ghost" but after reading about potential problems with the modified A7750 movements, I decided that I would stick to the 2836 models. Maybe older models, but less drama!!!

Thanks for the help.

Actually that is just what I did, I already had a M2M 029 incoming. I was interested in one with the sec @9 like the 88 or the "ghost" but after reading about potential problems with the modified A7750 movements, I decided that I would stick to the 2836 models. Maybe older models, but less drama!!!

Thanks for the help.

I've had 237, 088 and never ever had any issues with the movements, but in any case with most reps it is cheaper and easier to buy a new watch then bother fixing those Chinese movements, and most watchmakers wouldn't touch them with a stick, so why all the drama? You are spending $300ish on a fake, wear it while it runs and bin it when it dies, no stress;) most of these Chinese valjoux will run for a few years and some for a decade but you do get a lemon everynow and then, nature of the hobby...

Damn Andy , you are going to cost me more money!!! Lol. I respect what you say my friend, I know that you are a Guru when it comes to watches and movements. I really do like the 237. 088 is nice but not too keen on the different subdial color.

I might start looking for a 237.

I know that rep movements are pretty much a crap shoot. Lots are OK, but there are some lemons it there. Biggest problem that I see with these, is the lack of parts. If you get a bad one, you are pretty much out of luck.

Well I have not heard of an 89 that has had a problem and if there is an 89 owner with a broken one I want to buy it, the nicest thing on the 89 is the dial. Now I have 2 gen IWC, a gen Rolex 1680 and a gen omega, oh and I nearly for got my zenith, and they don't get a look in these days!

Well I have not heard of an 89 that has had a problem and if there is an 89 owner with a broken one I want to buy it, the nicest thing on the 89 is the dial. Now I have 2 gen IWC, a gen Rolex 1680 and a gen omega, oh and I nearly for got my zenith, and they don't get a look in these days!

I have an 0089 with a busted GMT wheel. It's currently at the watchmaker waiting on a non-existent part to show up. I have been trying to source a 7750 GMT for parts to no avail.

That's a shame, I wonder if the Swiss 7750 gmt parts would fit

I'm not sure if they interchange or not. I know that the guy working on it has used some swiss parts so far but hasn't been able to find a replacement for the GMT wheel yet. I may have to end up parting it out if I end up not finding the part.

Well guys, I'm back in PAMs in a big way!! Haven't had a single one in several years. At some point, it looked like Panerai was trending to bigger and bigger watches. The last one I had was several years back, it was one of those giant submersibles, maybe 47mm!! I took it in trade for another watch, and sold it almost immediately, way too big for me. 44mm is pushing my limits, but PAMs seem to wear smaller, thinner cases and flat case backs make them more comfortable to me.

So, in the last couple of weeks, I bought an 029, and 063 (both old friends as I have owned these before), also I have a 237 incoming!! Three GMT's, my favorite watches. All were M2M purchases, the 029 and 063 both have Swiss ETA 2836 movements.

Here is what I have thus far. Excuse the sorry IPhone photos please

post-327-139785939614.jpg

post-327-139785943687.jpg

post-327-139785931084.jpg

post-327-139785937023.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkq