When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBK '5512' with 1570

automatico

I had an MBK 5513 case that I got from Freddy333 and decided to stick a 1570 and Yuki 5512 dial in it. Here is what it took:

Drilled lugs out to 1.3mm, they were close to start with.

Installed GS PA 462-66 domed crystal along with a Clark bezel kit.

Used a 31.6mm x .8mm O ring between case and crystal holding bezel...it's what I had and it worked Ok.

Used a 31.6 x .9mm O ring on the case back...oem spec 1.0mm thick O ring was too thick. Needed 32.0 x .9 but did not have one.

Installed TC 7mm case tube with a 6.0mm case tube gasket between the tube and case. The TC case tube has a flat mounting surface so an O ring works Ok and fits into the groove already cut in the case.

Cut stem to size and mounted into TC crown with Loctite.

Removed all date works from 1570/75 movement and left the calendar spacer in place. You have to leave the calendar spacer on the movement because MBK 5513/1680 cases are both machined the same and they will only accept a 1570/75 date movement. You also need to use a dial washer to take up the slack between the hour wheel and dial. 

Installed Yuki 5512 dial and ST hands.

Mounted movement using case clamps and screws instead of the original casing screws because there was not enough space for the screw between the movement and groove in the case. 

Nothin' to it. 

Conclusions...

If I wanted another '5513' with 1520 or '5512' with 1560/70, I would go with a Yuki case as the MBK case is not very close to a 5513 internally...but it's very close to a 1680. MBK and Yuki cases cost close to the same now but you get a 'free' movement, dial, and bracelet with the MBK. The MBK cases have 25.6 date windows.

DW cases have a 26.0mm dial window and 5512/13 spec dials are 26.0mm so that project fell through (pun!). In other words, DW 5513 and 1680 cases are the same and made close to a 1680.

Would not go for expen$ive Phong, etc cases on these projects because they simply cost too much.

Imho...

Dive watches do not need dates. I do not like date divers very much and I never could get used to a 1680 etc.

Date divers?

Real divers have acrylic crystals! 

...and wear rubbers aka 'wet suits'.   :snorkel:

no case is perfect, but for the money the MBK watch is not the best value when compared with yuki.

MBK cgs are terrible, lug holes need doing, bezel teeth arent the greatest either. also with the MBK you DONT want the "free movement", or bracelet (terrible bracelet). dial is so-so.

get the yuki, over all better piece to begin with. my main gripe is the price and the crown guards are a little funky at the case bezel part

if you can get the MBK, just the case set for 1/3 the price go with that instead.

IMO

I agree with hiho.

Lessons learned the hard way...

After my MBK projects, I believe MBK 5513/1680 cases are probably better suited to higher grade Eta builds...higher grade = a couple steps above cartel cases. The MBK 1680 case that I put a 1575 and Yuki dial in did not accept most of my aftmkt 127 crystals and I did not want to waste a genuine crystal on it...so I ended up using a Best-Fit crystal that worked on the case with the Clark bezel kit just fine but since it was made in a lower profile, the second hand lightly rubbed the crystal causing it to lose time so I took the 1575 out and will stick an Eta in it later. With a lower cp and hour wheel than the 1575, the hands on an Eta will clear the crystal.

The hands on the 1575 were properly spaced and I did not want to lower the hour/minute hands and shorten the sweep second hand tube to lower the ss hand.

Hate to say it after bashing DW cases but they are well suited for a 'bargain build' 1680 using a Yuki etc dial and 1575. If you take the time to drill the lugs, bevel the lug tops, and use a Clark or ST bezel kit (both are exactly the same) with Clark crystal they make very good lower $$ project cases. If you flatten the case sides they are even better but it is a LOT of work. The rounded case sides are really not much of a problem and I have seen quite a few genuine submariners at watch shows with the bevels worn/polished away and the case sides slightly rounded from wear and polishing.

If you make an Eta 5512/13 using a DW case you will need a 26.5mm dial.

The two MBK 1680 I bought were both new from Narrika/MBK and one had a pretty good bracelet with hollow mid links but the other bracelet was not too hot with solid mid links.

Both movements were swiss Eta 2836 but they did not look brand new and need c/o.

Both dials were Ok except for the rough edges caused by grinding them down to fit the case when they were assembled.

If I wanted to move my MBK 1570 powered '5512' up the Frankenstein ladder a few steps I would use a DW case back with engraving instead of laser etching and have the case band engraved where it is now lightly laser etched. All my MBK cases are laser etched.

Any future Frankenstein vintage submariner projects will use no date 1520, 1560, or 1570. No more date/dial/crystal headaches for me. Not ever.

Yuki case beats MBK case for Frankenstein projects.

DW cases are not as bad as I thought.

I think I'll just keep saving up for one of Phong's midcases. It's a gen movement, dial, bezel assembly, crown and crystal build so I think I'll just bite the bullet and spend a couple hundred more...

Thanks anyway, very informative posts you two.