When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's the currect tap for modern submariner or gmt gen tube ?

db1

Hi friends,

It's been awhile since i've dealt with sourcing parts or trying to mod anything. I'm now feeling like buying a sub or a gmt master rep and mod it with some gen parts.

(Used to have a secs@9 daytona two years ago, which I've wanted to mod - already had the gen crown, tube and pushers, eventually ended up selling all of the parts and the watch due to the lack of time)

What's the correct tap to use for a gen tube fit for a modern submariner \ gmt-master  ?

(they both have the same tube if i'm not mistaken ? and I haven't decided yet about which one i'm gonna get and mod)

and I'd be glad to know if any member of rwg is selling them, I'd better buy from him than someone else :)

Many thanks!

db

Depends on the sub maker.  For example, a TC Submariner case won't accept a genuine tube, and needs to be tapped M3 .25

http://www.thorlabs.de/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=99946

Thanks for the quick response and vaulable info mate, I'll check out the link :)

I also remember that when I've had my parts (for the daytona project which never took off) - I've got a small tool to screw the gen tube with (it was a "T" tool which) - do you know if these are still available ?

Many thanks!

Wish I had known about this yesterday. Ive been using a 3M X .05. While I can get them in, it's just not easy like it should be. Thany you db1 for asking the question and thank you ssteel for the answer. You have just made my life easier

Guys, the Rolex tap is 3.0mm x .35. This is for the 6mm and 7mm tubes. .35 is a somewhat oddball thread pitch BTW.

Also, old GMTs took the smaller crown and tube- the 5.3 mm crown- those holes are 2.5mm x .25. 

Ofrei and Jules Borel sell these tools and well as the wrench to install the 7 mm tubes.

• Like 2

Guys, the Rolex tap is 3.0mm x .35. This is for the 6mm and 7mm tubes. .35 is a somewhat oddball thread pitch BTW.

Also, old GMTs took the smaller crown and tube- the 5.3 mm crown- those holes are 2.5mm x .25. 

Ofrei and Jules Borel sell these tools and well as the wrench to install the 7 mm tubes.

great info ! thanks mate :D

For what it is worth...I put TC case tubes and crowns in two MBK cases and two DW cases and they worked fine. The TC 7mm case tube will also screw into a genuine rolex 1601 case (3.0mm x .35mm case tube threads) by hand with no tools. 

MBK and DW cases are threaded same as genuine...3.0mm x .35mm.

Free advice...always try the case tube in the case before you screw a tap into the case tube threads to 'clean them up'. If the case tube screws into the case Ok, let it go. You can really get into trouble running a tap into these finely cut threads because if the tap is off center just enough to cross one thread, it will chew them all up.

Something else...some case tubes are made out of nickel silver and they will snap off without warning if they bind up while screwing them in or right when they are fully seated. Stainless steel case tubes are a lot tougher but you must be very careful not to get them started off center.

When going with aftmkt oem type 7.0mm case tubes...try to use tubes with the most threads where they screw into the case. Some aftmkt case tubes only have a few threads where they screw into the case and are prone to back out when unscrewing the crown.

"Free advice' is only worth what you pay for it.  :pimp:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dbane 883 is absolutely correct (as usual) TC case is tapped M3 x 0.25mm and will not accept a gen 703 or 704 case tube.

703/704 case tubes are externally threaded M3 x 0.35mm

I fail to see how a 0.25 pitch tube fits in a 0.35 pitch tapped hole, screws in perfectly by hand and is functional.

Listen to Dbane883 he is correct

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update on TC's thread pitch.

After having many discussions with Ticktick (Andi) it now seems that TC's case tube thread pitch has changed or my assumption was incorrect?. I have always been aware that it WAS M3 x 0.25mm pitch. It now seems it is M3 x 0.3mm pitch, Andi has measured his latest TC case tube, with thread gauges and has confirmed this. By the way the WSO case tube is threaded the same as TC's so it wont fit gen case.

Andi is going to do a full post on his SD build and TC's thread sizes in due course, cant wait ! (had a sneak preview of Andi yesterday, very, very nice indeed !!!!

So I guess at present we work of this, I am as sure as I can be off memory that TC's were M3 x 0.25 pitch, anyone care to chime in on this