When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Seadweller 16600: Advice considering crystal needed

Ticktick

I'm searching for a gen spec crystal for Rolex Seadweller 16600. Clark's does not look like a gen because the angle of the bevel seems to be totally wrong. What's about the 25-286 crystal from WSO? The picture on the bay does not show many details. Has anyone ever tried this crystal type?

Cheers

Andi

I know about the 16600 construction. I'm planning to mod a SSD V2 rep and installing a gen spec crystal. I know this will be hard work but I've got a lathe and many time, too.

The problem of the rep crystal is the incorrect angle of the top bevel. Also the rounded top edge is missing.

Cheers

Andi

The TC and Clark crystals will not fit if your modding the case to take gen, gen crystal is 3mm thick. The 16600 has a three part xtal assembly, the rehaut being removeable?. Correct me if I'm wrong not handled a genpost-43929-0-49225300-1398248519_thumb.j

Picture courtesy of Sconhead

@Deokhoon Jun: How does the gen SD crystal compare to WSO's? Are there significant differences?

BTW: I've got a BP SD on the way, too. But I bought the SSD V2 from a nice member here. I want to mod it a bit. Especially CGs and if possible crystal. I like the lugs on the SSD. BP has got flaws here considering the shape in the lower end area of the lugs. They are too slanted.

Cheers

Andi

any of aftermarket crystals are nothing like gen shape; height, bevel, and the edge on the top all wrong. you want to save your money so I just recommend you not to buy any cheap one. Just go straight Gen crystal. 

you can put gen crystal on bp or SD by using an adhesive. that`s just putting it onto the rehaut. Cant ensure water resistance. Or if you have a shaving shelf to peel the outer rim of rehaut about 1mm, then you can get a room for gasket between rehaut and retaining ring. I never tried that, but its not impossible story. 

The closest thing I have found to fit in an old SSD case is a gen crystal or a286 crystal.. Can't use the gasket with it and needs to be glued. This always made me nervous. If there can be a group buy for custom made crystal to fit, out of real sapphire with the correct beveling and no LEC as well as being able to fit a gasket for a mechanically sound seal, then we can revive thousands of SSD V1/2 cases. Just saying. May be easier more cost effective as well as physically more sound to do a group buy for a custom crystal. The new BPSD has a great crystal, so the potential is there.

E

Great idea, there are generic crystals available, but the do require the case to be modded to use both the crystal and gasket. As in the drawing posted. I am no expert on the exact crystal chamfers (bevels), and dimensions of these would be a great advantage. Too many times have I heard that the height "looks" wrong, the crystal chamfering "looks" wrong.

IMO These are all subjective views and without the correct dimensions cannot be justified.

Does anyone have a gen xtal they could measure accurately and publish their findings

I'll go with Ephry on this one, let's do a bulk buy, put me down for 5

PS. Post coming on case machining

I would buy such a crystal, too.

But in my opinion Rolex seemed to use different crystals over the years. I watched several pictures of gen 16660 and 16600s. The height seems to differ from model to model. Also the distortion and look of the rehaut. I found a gen 666 in superb condition which had a rehaut looking like a DSSD caused by distortion of the crystal.

Cheers

Andi