When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement advice please - 42mm Explorer ii off Josh

Leighleigh

Hello friends

I will be (in the next few days) ordering my 3rd rep, my choice is a Rolex Explorer ii 42mm in white my dealer is Josh (he is the only dealer I have ever used)

The problem I have is what movement should I go for??

Dose the more expensive movement mean better movement ??

Please break it down for me, to help me choose..

Just for the first timers out there thinking of placing your first order, I will update this thread with the whole process of my Oder though to receiving my watch with pics!

Depends on longevity and likeness.

The gen has a 28800bph movement. However, a 21j movement doesn't quite reach than, and therefore is slightly jerkier.

Then there's the fact a more expensive movement will last a lot longer, while I doubt a 21j would last much longer than 5 years without the need for a service

From reading and questioning the same I got this: The Asian 2813 basic movement used in this comes directly with the GMT function. It works well long-time and it is perfectly reliable. It´s built as a genuine GMT movement from factory. (Have not verified this, I´m a layman it´s what I read). Asked about and owners with several said fine to go and they will buy it again.

The other one to go for is the Asian ETA, from what I understood this movement is adapted to the GMT function. I have one of these the 16570 Explorer II Polar, it keeps good time and the GMT works 100%. Can´t wind this (unlike other Asian Eta´s) because I directly hit the setting GMT function when unscrewing the crown. Don´t bother because it´s got a good power reserve and on crocoband it´s one of my most comfortable and preferred watches, use it a lot, works fine just don't like to set the time on it, it´s work as it doesn´t move easy.

My next GMT-purchase will be with the 2813 movement.

As for the swiss - from what I read - it´s a used swiss movement which has been adapted to GMT so problems may arise - and it´s the most expensive so I will avoid this for the time being.

Maybe You read some more along these lines. Please report Your results/decision etc. too.

• 2 months later...

The DG3804B is the GMT version of the A2813. Low beat (so wrong for the watch you are talking about).

It's a reliable movment. Appears to be the go-to movement for 1675 builds because of the hand stack being correct for that model and it being low beat.

For the watch you are looking at, my personal order of preference for movements would be:

ETA 2893 (if it's even available factory direct, otherwise it's a mod to be done later)

ETA 2836 w/ gmt mod (assuming it's a real ETA)

Asian 2836 clone w/ gmt mod

DG3804B

Every ETA 2836 w/GMT mod has failed prematurely for me, or 'drifted'.  IF you plan on using the GMT hand setting a lot, or not using a winder and letting doing a lot of date changes (the mechanism is interlinked) BEWARE.

On the other hand, the DG3804 (aka 21j GMT) seems to be a little more resiliant.  No slippage of the GMT hand.

The tradeoff is simple:  28,800 Beat rate on the Mod-2836 but less reliable (IMHO) vs 21,600 Beat rate, more reliable, and costs $30 to R&R every ~8 or so years instead of servicing.

Edit to add: It is my understanding there is NO SUCH THING AS A SWISS 2836-GMT.  And chances of someone (rep maker) taking a Swiss base 2836 and adding the Chinese Module is slim, and still worthless.

This is the 3804 aka 21j-GMT.  Note the top plate that keeps everything "tight" from slipping... (If you see a 2683-mod, the "bolt on is obvious/sloppy")

post-19479-0-39976400-1404414416_thumb.j

post-19479-0-11694200-1404414418_thumb.j

The 3804 has an actual date wheel carrier.  This translates to NO overlay on top of original ETA datewheel on Mod-2836.  Also, the "stock 3804B" date wheel aligns with most Gen/Rolex 15xx date windows out of the box!  

I had the slipping issue with the first ETA 2836 w/ GMT modification I owned. After getting it fixed I didn't have any problems, and I set the GMT hand often.

I've had it for 6-7 years now, and am sure it is an actual ETA base. I'm also certain the GMT mod was probably done in China. Am guessing anything coming out now is probably a clone, even if described as ETA.

The 3804 is a good movement, but he's looking at a watch that would be high beat so that's why I put it last on my list. If that's not an issue for the OP, then other than the 2893, it would be the best current option if the new clone 2836's are having significant slipping problems.