When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Practical Watch Repairing by Donald de Carle

Hi guys,

I bought this book recently and began reading. It has been great so far. But I have to ask those who are familiar with the book; since it was written decades ago, how relevant is it to watch repairing today? I'm sure there have been numerous advancements in watchmaking since then (I think it was originally published in the 60's), but can this book still serve as a good introduction to the craft?

It has been reprinted as recently as 2008 so I'm guessing It does remain somewhat relevant.

The book is a great reference source and indeed most of the information in there is still relevant. As you rightly understand things have moved on since it's original penning, for instance commercial watch cleaning is no longer done with peg wood and brush, manufacturing balance staffs and to a certain extent poising is very little carried out these days.

Breguet hair springs are all but dead, apart from in collectors pieces, however if you could manage to master the skills contained within this book, then I would call you a watchmaker and not a watch-repairer!.

Hope this helps you

Buy yourself a cheap large hand wind movement (working) and follow the book through using the movement as your sample. If it's still working at the end of the book you've done really well!.

Have fun !!