When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who currently builds the best 6542?

BradBMW

Hello all,

I've worn a genuine Rolex GMT II for 18 years now, and I love it dearly. But since there's no way I'll spend $30,000 on a watch, I've considered getting a replica of the 6542 for times I don't want to wear my "real" watch.

I've seen several companies that offer replicas, but it seems like most have issues that don't seem very authentic. In your experience, what's the best option for a watch that seems "right"? I'm no watchmaker, so modding cases and bezels is far out of my range of expertise. At some point, I'd probably add a genuine Rolex movement.

Any recommendations?

Don't buy one from a trusted dealer, they aren't correct, just too many issues. If I were you I would frequent the sales section of this forum and wait for a vintage watch to come up for sale that someone else built.

Phong's are probably the most accurate pre-assembled, gen-powered 6542s. NDT makes something similar, as do other franken sellers. I would recommend that you spend alot of time searching our archives for others' reviews before buying, as these watches tend to look alot better on the outside than they actually are on the inside.

I agree, the TD models are crap. You can get one reassembled as Freddy said, or have one built from parts. I had one built a year or so back, and while it had lots of problems along the way, it ended up pretty nice. Although mine doesn't hold a candle to Freddy's 6542

The parts list for mine were:

Ming Quy case

JoeyB insert

Clark crystal

Gen crown

Ingod44 dial ( I used the white 1675 dial rather than his 6542 dial)

Hands Classic watch parts

Movement ETA 2846

Genuine Rolex Jubilee bracelet and end links

Mine

post-327-139934417736.jpg

post-327-139934419656.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Brad good advice from two that really know. I did not follow that advice and I tired one of the TD 6542's and it was very bad. Sold it a couple days after receiving it. No expert but that is my grail watch and have read much over the last few months on the forums. Now I am acquiring parts for a phong case build as suggested above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll pass on the Phong version. It looks sweet, but they're asking $5500, and I think the only thing genuine is the movement. For that money, I could buy a nice 1675 and add Joey's insert and a small, vintage GMT hand.

Brad, take a look at this site, several folks here say that this is phong's son who has this website. He has a complete 6542 as well as a kit, or separate parts, case, dial, insert,,etc. he doesn't offer the white dial, but his black/ gilt dial looks OK. I like joeyB's insert, for about half the price. Also I would suspect that you would need to factor in a service on the 1030 movement, unless he guarantees that it has been serviced.

Www.vintagewatchmaker.com

Thanks. It looks pretty nice, but I'm not sure the case back looks correct?

Brad, take a look at this site, several folks here say that this is phong's son who has this website. He has a complete 6542 as well as a kit, or separate parts, case, dial, insert,,etc. he doesn't offer the white dial, but his black/ gilt dial looks OK. I like joeyB's insert, for about half the price. Also I would suspect that you would need to factor in a service on the 1030 movement, unless he guarantees that it has been serviced.

Www.vintagewatchmaker.com

Thanks for the replies so far. So for a 6542, can you all offer advice as to where to source the best

Case? Phong?

Bezel Insert? Joey B?

Dial? Ingod44?

Bracelet?

Hands?

I think I'll try and source a genuine movement.

Many thanks,

Brad

I'll start you off and others can add!

Case set including bezel: phong

Insert: joeyb

Dial: ndt or Minh (imo)

Hands: Michael Young

Roulette date wheel? No clue

Gen movement is ideal for a phong case and dial from ndt or Minh with gen feet placement

I would use a gen crown and tropic crystal but you can use an aftermarket crystal if you prefer

Well gents, I've done some number crunching. Here's what I've come up with so far:

6542 Build

Movement - $???

Case set /bezel: Phong $1450

Insert: JoeyB $175

Dial: Ingod44 $135

Hands: EBay $195

Roulette date wheel: eBay $50

Genuine Crown: eBay $100

Crystal: Tropic 25-116 $18

Bracelet: Yuki - $197

The subtotal without a movement comes to $2320!!! I figure a suitable Rolex movement will cost at least $1500. Throw in a cleaning and service (since I'm no watchmaker)' and that's another $500. That brings me to $4320 for a watch with basically no resale value.

But alas! All is not lost. I think the best course of action for me is to find an authentic 1675 in decent running order. All I'll do to that is get a gilt or PanAm dial from ingod44 (can't decide which I like more), a small GMT hand, and a Joey B insert, and I'll have an authentic watch that looks 90% the part, but can be easily converted back to stock if I ever need to sell.

Edited by Brad737

Brad737,

As freddy said, finding a 1030 caliber with date and GMT function in good working conditions is near to impossible

I'll suggest you to stick to a 1675 if you want a gen movement,

Or maybe an ETA movement can do the trick

Cheers :)

Hi Brad

I am sourcing parts for the similar build. Similar parts list but I am going to use an Eta and white dial. Also doing a 1675 at the same time. I have parts coming in almost every day....wife is asking lots of questions/(. I agree resale may not be good but you never see Franken 6542's for sale and if you see gens they are 25k+. I just love pan153's pictured above. Shooting for something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can assure you, even with all the "teething" problems mine had along the way, I sure as heck don't have anywhere near what you are quoting. 'Course I got a pretty good deal on the Ming Quy case set, and I used an ETA 2846 movement. Freddy is right though, if you decide to use a 1030 movement, be prepared to spend big bucks. Remember too, most of the 1030 movements you see are not the GMT movement. About a year or so back, someone had a 1030 GMT movement, and if memory is correct, he was asking 2500 USD for it. Add a service in and you are looking at close to 3k for the movement alone.

• 5 years later...
19 minutes ago, alligoat said:

So it looks like they are part of TS Watch- I've ordered from them and they're basically legit. I had to use a credit card and they slightly overcharged me- might have been in the currency exchange rate so I got over it.

So you have ordered from VP and everything went fine ?