When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 1016'd 1601

DVNE

I have a oyster problem.. I am addicted to them. So far in my watchbox I have a Seiko SARB033, franken Tudor Day-Date, franken Tudor 74000, franken Rolex 5500, 1680 & this 1601 that I converted into a 1016. Thanks to lhooq for inspiring me with his many threads for 1016's (especially the SPACE DWELLER build :clap: ). This one here is powered by a recently serviced swiss ETA2824.
 Special thanks to JMB for the JMB bezel. Couldn't have completed this project without this piece.

20140506_125020_1_zps85c782a5.jpg

20140506_135234_1_zpsdd8cc176.jpg

20140506_140014_1_zpsf44415e6.jpg

and a wristie:

20140506_082045_1_zps0161ebee.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks lhooq! Means a lot coming from the 1016 king :inverted::clap2:

It took me a week to decide on which dial from Yuki I was going to buy. I decided on a yellow patina'd "white" Submariner 1680 dial for my 1680 project and this monochrome service dial looking dial for the 1016. With the number of case sets JMB sold, I am sure plenty more 1016 threads will pop up soon (I hope!). I can stare at those threads all day long. :play_ball:

I'm another one of those 1601 case/1016 build folks!

24-600 crown

relumed yuki dial courtesy of LHOOQ,

jmb bezel, 

2824-2 Swiss eta

stilty space ring

Clark T-22 and hands

photo-4.jpg

I think these are cool builds- yours looks good with the white lume 

The slightly raised lume on yours is the finishing touch :air_kiss: The only thing that bothers me on these cases is the pin hole spring bar holes but that is definitely something that I overlook

Thanks for the kind comments everybody!

Mendota, Alligoat, Lhooq's SpaceDweller and I used genuine 1601 Datejust cases (with JMB bezels) for these builds.

Cool.  Yours looks fantastic.  The gen 1601 case shape must be better and more closely resembles the 1016 case then the rep Datejust cases, is that correct?  There is a thread on here right now where the member had to go hardcore on the rep case to get the lugs and overall shape to match.  The end result is gorgeous, but if the gen case solves that issue then that's a heck of a lot easier!  :)

So he sent a gen 1601 case over to Phong to redrill the lug holes?  Or did he buy a Phong case and have him redo the holes?

I'm not entirely sure, but ubi's was a gen Rolex case that was drilled out by Phong at his request.  I found that remarkable.  Drilling a 1601's lugs is considered a risky procedure since you have so little metal to play with.

Drilling a 1601's lugs is considered a risky procedure since you have so little metal to play with.

This is precisely why I never drilled mine out. No room for error and the lugs are already thin enough after 40+ years.

Thank you! For the price, the Yuki dial isn't bad at all. I had a hard time deciding on the matte or gloss, gilt or monochrome and white or aged yellow lume. I'd probably build another later if I find decently priced parts

I have "drilled" one of these cases.  If you drill them the standard way you basically uniformly enlarge the existing hole which quite often will get ugly on the super thin lugs.  What I did was use .050" carbide end-mills to relocate the hole just a bit to get it away from the top edge of the lug.  It turned out nicely but was somewhat expensive as it took 2 end-mills as they are 1 - very small, and 2 - very brittle.  Even relocated to where they don't break out the thinness of the lug makes 'em look a bit strange, to me anyway...

post-24124-0-08360700-1399922249_thumb.j

post-24124-0-93472400-1399922256_thumb.j

• Like 1

I think DVNE's looks great without it!  As I remember this was rather nerve-wracking...  I used the end-mill, which won't try to "follow" the hole if fed slowly, to effectively move the hole centerline down and inward just a little...

• 1 month later...

I'm another one of those 1601 case/1016 build folks!

24-600 crown

relumed yuki dial courtesy of LHOOQ,

jmb bezel,

2824-2 Swiss eta

stilty space ring

Clark T-22 and hands

photo-4.jpg

I think these are cool builds- yours looks good with the white lume

I so want someone to clone the stilty ring.

With shapeways and thingiverse we just need someone to draw it and then we can print all we need.

Sent from my mobile device

Thanks lhooq! Means a lot coming from the 1016 king :inverted::clap2:

It took me a week to decide on which dial from Yuki I was going to buy. I decided on a yellow patina'd "white" Submariner 1680 dial for my 1680 project and this monochrome service dial looking dial for the 1016. With the number of case sets JMB sold, I am sure plenty more 1016 threads will pop up soon (I hope!). I can stare at those threads all day long. :play_ball:

Well done, DVNE. Well done.

Sent from my mobile device

I'm not sure if LHOOQ was including mine as the 3rd one (I did give him an advance look). It's in transit, but here is PBdad's preview pic ... :)

At the start of May, we had stevedrk, rolojack, then DVNE's build.  A week later, jmb brings kin tama's dream of a white Explorer to life.  Finally, at the end of May, we got ogladio's utterly bonkers and utterly gorgeous franken with a gilt dial. 

Now we've got yours coming up, and I'm still hearing from guys with builds at various stages.  It's the summer of 1016!  :) 

Looking forward to seeing Pbdad's work up close, tomhorn!