When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Proper case refinish suggestion

omgiv

I know that this is a noob question but does anyone know of someone that can refinish a sub case to rolex specs in the US? I am talking about the brushing of the lugs and putting the proper bevels. Looking for a place that can do it spot on. Feel free to pm if you want. Thanks!!!

His pics are from the 80's lol! All kidding aside he's great not good, his work is impeccable when it comes to finishing and making bevels, I have had a few examples and still do. His new style is like factory fresh from rolex and his vintage style is subtle but well done. Just tell him very clearly what you need done and he'll do it.

• Like 1

Very interesting topic. I wasn't aware that independent watchmakers could do that. I always assumed there were some special tools involved to get nice gen spec chamfers etc. Actually I am on the lookout for a Rolex serviced gen 5513 atm just because of that reason. Knowing someone else who is able to do that would save me a few hundred bucks, I suppose. Please keep us posted.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that independent watchmakers could do that. I always assumed there were some special tools involved to get nice gen spec chamfers etc.

Yes, but the tools are pretty much a staple of every professional watchmaker's toolset. & just about every pro watchmaker can - or, at least, should be able to - do the job for you.

Alternatively, you can replicate the same finishes with the appropriate (for your watch model) Bergeon finish or Scotch-Brite pad (for a brushed finish), a Dremel & some green rouge (for a polished finish on stainless steel). Simply remove the bracelet & disassemble the case & mask-off (with masking tape or similar) the sections you do not want to refinish. I would recommend practicing on some unimportant parts before targeting your pride-in-joy timepiece though. ;)

I have tried every Bergeon finishing block, several grits on a emery stick, and two types of scotch brite pads. I can't get the grain to match that of the factory. It could be the materials or the application (block vs wheel).

I have also read that the factory uses lapping machines in order to get the angles precise and even. There are a few sites that do refinishing but they are overseas.

His pics are from the 80's lol! All kidding aside he's great not good, his work is impeccable when it comes to finishing and making bevels, I have had a few examples and still do. His new style is like factory fresh from rolex and his vintage style is subtle but well done. Just tell him very clearly what you need done and he'll do it.

plus he's timely.