When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Franken on VRF?

davids100

Movement says 1570?

When a seller mentions "correct this" and "correct that" - to me that's a flag that says the watch was assembled from genuine parts. Nothing wrong against that but it's a nice way of saying it. As opposed to a watch that says "all original".

Explorer movement is not appropriate to this watch. Either the dial has been changed or the movement but both of them are from different eras

I disagree.  The dial is correct for the early 1970s, as is the movement.

Is there something I'm not seeing?

Ok I admit I was fast on my judgement regarding the 1016, I was comparing gen 1971' ones with his and his one is a 1972' so next subtile generation. Altough I maintain the point on the DD, sure the case is a fake. It´s possible that the seller didn't even noticed it himself but he should had to.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

What makes you think the DD case is a fake?

The only thing I see is that the case is over polished, engravings look fine to me.

I'm not sure about the movement plate saying 1570, it should say 1556, but there's probably no difference between those two plates anyway.

What makes you think the DD case is a fake?

The only thing I see is that the case is over polished, engravings look fine to me.

I'm not sure about the movement plate saying 1570, it should say 1556, but there's probably no difference between those two plates anyway.

Iirc, this watch does indeed have a 1575 movement (1570 with date) - but the stamping is still 1570 on the movement for some odd reason. Edited by ogladio

The Day-Date is a 1555 or a 1556 movement (of this era) so it would be the 1575 with the added Day feature- somewhat similar to the 1575 GMT movement. It's a day-date movement but it shares many of the same parts with the 1575 date movement.

alligoat is right in the 1555/56 being mostly a 1575. I have a 1556 and it is almost the same movement as a 1575 except for the date parts and DD at the beginning of the serial number.

DD = Day/Date

D = Date

numbers only = no date

no numbers = not a certified chronometer

I would bet most Day/Date watches had 1555 or 1556 stamped on the rotor plate because this was their top of the line watch and they wanted everything to be right. 

1055 D/D = 18000 bph with 1030 type escapement

1555 D/D = 18000 bph with 1560 type escapement

1556 D/D = 19800 bph with 1570 type escapement

1055 D/D introduced 1954

1555 D/D introduced 1959

1556 D/D introduced 1965

Not many 1055 runners left because of No Parts 4 U.

"All 3 sitcks from the "E"s are the same lenghts. It´s never the case on rolex engravings."

I think you're taking a minor Rolex idiosyncrasy and trying to make it apply to all engravings- that's not the case. especially with vintage Rolex. Also, the engravings are done by hand on this case.

I'm not sure what a Minerva stamp is- Minerva was the Roman goddess of wisdom.

If you're referring to the 18kt stamp, I will admit that it's hard to see from the photo.

The caseback stampings all look good to me.

In generel you could say: long E middle strokes -> no no.

With the Day Date I don't see issues, it is very common with gold watches that their engravings wear out, especially with the Day Dates since a lot of

them were/are worn with a leather strap with rubs between the lugs. On these watches some watchmakers try to reengrave by hand which looks a

bit sloppy, but I've seen that very often.

The Explorer is absolutely fine, dial and movement are period correct, engraving is correct for 3.5mil. Only thing; I don't think that 7836 came with

the watch.