When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega and Swatch Warning to CousinsUK

jcagara08

Just read this article over at WUS, OMG, I am starting to worry with regards to my franken desires, maybe Omega SA and Swatch also started to worry over our Frankens and almors 1:1 current Planet Ocean Reps, Jeez
Ya'll Omega heads better be hoarding those gen parts soon enough, I hope Frei & Borels will not be affected by this move.

"
Warning - Omega and Swatch restricting parts supply

To those considering purchasing an Omega, or any other Swatch family watch, you should be aware that Swatch have just served warning in Europe that they are going to restrict parts supply.

As quoted from Cousins.co.uk

'Swatch Group advise Cousins that the supply of watch parts is to totally cease after December 2015, this will affect all brands including Omega, Tissot, Certina, Rado, CK and Longines.'

This is terrible news for all Omega owners and independent watchmakers and will have the effect driving all servicing and repairs towards Swatch, which as we all know is overpriced and is often overkill i.e. If your watch merely needs a crystal you are forced to have the whole watch serviced even if has already been serviced relatively recently.

For those who do not live in the EU who don't believe this will affect them, please remember that Swatch and other manufacturers have already implemented this policy in other territories and that many independent watchmakers worldwide now purchase parts from Cousins."

source; http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/warning-omega-swatch-restricting-parts-supply-1030851.html

They're shooting in their own foot imo. They try to follow in the footsteps of Rolex but forget they target a different demographic. I was pondering about purchasing a gen Planet Ocean but I can already say this will influence my decision, and not in a good way.

I never cared much for omega but the modern model parts supply has dwindled down to a few crowns, crystals, bezel inserts etc from many USA supply houses already while nos parts for vintage models are rapidly disappearing.

I saw this coming with rolex 15 or 20 years ago so I stocked up on new and used parts for 1530 base movements plus crowns and acrylic crystals. It turned out to be a good move as the crowns I paid $35 for 15 or 18 years ago are now going for $150 to $200 on eBay (nos gold 5.3 and 6.0 crowns).

I have enough rolex parts to last as long as I'll need any and would advise anyone who is really into watches to decide what brands and models they want for 'keeper watches' and buy a few parts to keep them running before they cut all the parts off. One good thing with omega is they have mostly Eta running gear where rolex was 'in house' except for valjoux and zenith Daytonas.

I resisted selling parts and it turned out to be a good decision because the four boxes of new and used rolex parts I have maybe $5k in is now worth $20k or more.

As for watches...it's too bad I held on to 6605/16xx DJs, 6694, AK, and OPD for 'keepers' because they have not increased very much in value and are probably worth more for parts than as running watches.