When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decided on a IWC Portuguese Chrono but...

amv8

Being a newbie to the RW game I've been trying to read up on everything about quality, movements, etc... The issue for me is that I'm not sure what information is up to date or if the website stays a movement is new, if its really new... I was mulling between a couple of brands and decided on the Portuguese Chrono from Trusties. This seems to be the most up to date version as the 4 is correct as opposed to the older versions. What is freaking me out is that the movement is the 7750 which from what I've been reading is a time bomb, even the newer 29j version. Is this true still? Also can someone explain the 6 second hand issue? I can't seem to get a clear understanding on what that is. Thanks in advance   IWC0203 - Portuguese Chrono RG/LE Grey A-7750 New Improved $348.00

MOVEMENT:  Asian 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph Movement, 28800bph, New Improved 29J Version

CASE DIAMETER: 40mm

THICKNESS: 12.5mm

DIAL COLOR: Grey Dial, White Subdials, Gold Numeral Markers

CASE MATERIAL: Polished Solid Stainless Steel 316, Thick 18K Rose Gold Plating... 5 Mils

BRACELET: Leather Strap with insignia buckle

FRONT GLASS:  Sapphire Crystal

BACK GLASS: Closed Caseback with Detialed Engraving

CLASP TYPE: Deployant Buckle

OTHER REMARKS:

Water Resistant 

Functional Chronograph

6:00 Subdial - Running Seconds

12:00 Subdial - Minute Counter

2:00 Pusher - Start/stop Chrono

4:00 Pusher - Reset

post-64132-0-98438100-1400762874_thumb.j

There are lots of posts on this topic. You may be lucky an get good version. Basically the standard 7750 movement has the running seconds at the 9 o'clock position these though have the running secs at 6 o'clock. This has been enabled by the edition of some right dodgy cogs. The addition of the extra jewel May or may not be of use or real. I've seen members who have these and are fine where as others last a week. Apparently it's a good idea to hack it when it's not being worn. Good luck and keep us posted

There are lots of posts on this topic. You may be lucky an get good version. Basically the standard 7750 movement has the running seconds at the 9 o'clock position these though have the running secs at 6 o'clock. This has been enabled by the edition of some right dodgy cogs. The addition of the extra jewel May or may not be of use or real. I've seen members who have these and are fine where as others last a week. Apparently it's a good idea to hack it when it's not being worn. Good luck and keep us posted

hack it meaning? removing the sec hand movement?

No, the sec@6 problem isn't fixed by the 29-jewel version. Actually there are only 2 good fixes: Domi's "additional jewels fix" (which he does not offer anymore) or a gen 79350 movement. The chinese "watch makers" kept it a little bit easy on modding the A7750 movement and transmitting the running second from 9 to 6. They build in 5 additional gears, but these gears don't have a jewel bearing. So many of the power is lost by friction of gears laying complete plain on a watch plate... A time bomb. It may work for years, but also only for hours. Also these friction problems can be seen if you look at the running second, it sometimes seems to stop or run slower, not continuos and smooth.

No, the sec@6 problem isn't fixed by the 29-jewel version. Actually there are only 2 good fixes: Domi's "additional jewels fix" (which he does not offer anymore) or a gen 79350 movement. The chinese "watch makers" kept it a little bit easy on modding the A7750 movement and transmitting the running second from 9 to 6. They build in 5 additional gears, but these gears don't have a jewel bearing. So many of the power is lost by friction of gears laying complete plain on a watch plate... A time bomb. It may work for years, but also only for hours. Also these friction problems can be seen if you look at the running second, it sometimes seems to stop or run slower, not continuos and smooth.

thx! Are there any dealers on here that provide a better movement up front? I just emailed Domi to see what the cost would be for a gen replacement so we'll see if its worth it for me to buy and replace the movement right away. Also would a swiss 7550 work?

Edited by amv8

No, a swiss 7750 has the running seconds @9. That's the problem. Only a gen 79350 (hard to source) with the correct IWC "sec@6-module" (be careful, there are many 79350 sold on ebay without this module!) would work. And sure, the dealers promise a better movement... Let's call it "marketing". ;-)

Edited by higginsd

Well tendencies (users' reports) show that more recent versions/releases of the portuguese reps tend to have a little bit lower rate of failing movements.

If You plan to wear this watch 1-2 days a week, and hack it when not wearing - I wouldnt call it a big trouble and buy one expecting at least 1 or 2 years of life ;)

Edited by Prancuzas

No, a swiss 7750 has the running seconds @9. That's the problem. Only a gen 79350 (hard to source) with the correct IWC "sec@6-module" (be careful, there are many 79350 sold on ebay without this module!) would work. And sure, the dealers promise a better movement... Let's call it "marketing". ;-)

thanks everyone... i think i'm going to order and worst case if it fails I'll source a new movement...

Higginsd do you think this would work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=301186225028

Great watch. I get lots of compliments with mine. The seconds do seem to hesitate but mine has been running since January with no issues. I figure I'll get another one if it dies.

My recommendation is to replace the strap right away though. The one it comes with is pretty bad. I got a gen blue alligator strap and it made all the difference!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a franken with gen movement, but I was unhappy with the case. My advice, either save up for a geneinstien, or get a timebomb. or just save up for a used gen. Costs about 5k usd while geneinstien about 3k the last time I was offered one by concepta.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a franken with gen movement, but I was unhappy with the case. My advice, either save up for a geneinstien, or get a timebomb. or just save up for a used gen. Costs about 5k usd while geneinstien about 3k the last time I was offered one by concepta.

when Concepta offered you a genstein?

really at that point I would rather get the gen for 5 as opposed to the 3 by concepta. Sucks they can't get the a7750 with the running sec at 6 to be more realiable

really at that point I would rather get the gen for 5 as opposed to the 3 by concepta. Sucks they can't get the a7750 with the running sec at 6 to be more realiable

how about getting 5 reps for 1.5k? And You dont have to spend it at once! 

Me myself just ordered 3714 rep and I am ready to pay the "300usd subscription fee each year" taking into the account that it will fail after one year (anyway i'm planning to wear it 1-2 times a week and hack it when not using so I'm pretty much sure it will last more than one year as theses later versions really improved in reliability). Also the watch is traveling to modder for a dial swap so at the same I will ask him to service the movement so neither the 5k gen option, neither the 2-3k concepta's version does sound as appealing as clean maintained rep for 300usd :)

But only a maintanance does not solve the sec@6-issue... The watchsmith has to build in 3 additional bearing jewels - and the problem is fixed. Domi did this for a while and he asked 250€ for that.

Why choose a complete Genenstein? 3k is too much for this! 300 the watch, 700 the movement, 170 the dial, 150 the hands. And some dollars for a gen case and a gen crystal if you really are unhappy with the case. Something below 1800$ I think. 

Edited by higginsd
  • Like 1

But only a maintanance does not solve the sec@6-issue... The watchsmith has to build in 3 additional bearing jewels - and the problem is fixed. Domi did this for a while and he asked 250€ for that.

Why choose a complete Genenstein? 3k is too much for this! 300 the watch, 700 the movement, 170 the dial, 150 the hands. And some dollars for a gen case and a gen crystal if you really are unhappy with the case. Something below 1800$ I think. 

Would be surprised if you can source a gen case, if you can let me know!

The minimum you want for a good franken is gen movement, dial, hands and crown and a modded case (not the bezel machined mod). Add to that a gen bezel and gen index ring and you are nearly gen. Parts alone will run up a good few $ though if you can find a source now. If you can do all the modding yourself and find used gen parts you can get under $1800.

I've PTFE dry lubed a couple of rep movements and they run very smooth but I don't where my rep 3714s very often, like to stick to my frankens :)  

I'm quiet sure I can source a gen case. But I won't because the 3714 is too small for my wrist. And I'm also quiet sure I can source all gen parts new for below the 1800$ you mentioned. But hey, let's stop this useless discussion.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

I'm quiet sure I can source a gen case. But I won't because the 3714 is too small for my wrist. And I'm also quiet sure I can source all gen parts new for below the 1800$ you mentioned. But hey, let's stop this useless discussion.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

No offense intended only stating what I have found building a few 3714 frankens