When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first PAM arrived from Trevor...but... :-(

DiverDoug

Hi all,

After breaking my "rep cherry" with Trevor last year, I thought it was time to get my second. I decided to keep with Trevor (as sticking with a single TD was always advised) and decided that I would spend a bit more money and get a Noob v3 PAM 111 (I know it's very cliche, but I like it's simplicity). Unfortunately, it hasn't gone as planned :cry2:

I ordered with Trev via email on the 13th and it arrived today (the 23rd). The communication was really straightforward (mostly because I wasn't asking any dumb questions like the first time!) , the QC photos were great (and showed on the timegrapher that it was a great watch), so I thought everything was going to be sweet.

So, this was what arrived today :

20140523_185818.jpg

and

20140523_185728.jpg

After winding the watch and seeing it run for about 30 mins, it stopped three times. I know the watch was fully wound (or at least close to it), as there was an increasing amount of resistance on the crown and it's pretty tight now as it is. Now, after the third time, it has stopped completely and will not go at all (ie the movement, a A6497, isn't moving at all now). I don't want to wind it any more because I'm worried it will break completely. I wasn't worried about it stopping twice, as the first watch I purchased from Trevor (an Omega PO) stopped twice, but it has barely missed a beat since.

Has this happened to anyone else with a PAM? Does anyone have any advice?

I'm not going to scream foul (yet), as Trev was pretty good with the whole process, and I've emailed him about it (hopefully I'll hear back from him soon). I figure that I'll have to send it back, but I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone else has experienced that with a Noob v3 PAM.

Any advice would be appreciated.

DD

Lots of guys get their 'New' reps serviced once received, it is not uncommon and by many considered the Thing to do.

Hopefully it is no more than that, the PAM 111 is a good watch so not usually a problem, however the movement will always benefit from a service.

Regards

AJ

Lots of guys get their 'New' reps serviced once received, it is not uncommon and by many considered the Thing to do.

Hopefully it is no more than that, the PAM 111 is a good watch so not usually a problem, however the movement will always benefit from a service.

Regards

AJ

Service will indeed probably do the trick. Luckily servicing an A6497 is not that expensive if I may recall...

Thanks for the advice. The only thing is, I don't want to spend a lot of money getting it serviced only to find that it's a much bigger problem where I should have just sent it back. From the watchmaker I've spoken to, servicing costs in the hundreds of dollars. I would have thought that a new watch (even a Noob rep) woud run longer than 30 mins, especially since my PO is still running great with a 4813 inside. If getting it serviced is recommeneded first, I wouldn't have bothered spending the extra money for quality that supposedly comes from the Noob factory and just gone for the cheaper option.

Anyway, I'll take it to a guy I know here in Brisbane (hopefully he's still working at the shop) and see what he says. Thanks again for the advice! :-)

DD

Doug - the overwhelming response is going to be fix it locally don't send it back! If one watch guy is quoting you several hundred then try to find another watch guy because as mentioned, shouldn't cost much to service and a new movement would only cost about the same.

The more I read through other threads, the more I tend to agree. I've heard back from Trevor and he thinks that the problem is with the balance wheel. Regardless, I'll take it to a watchsmith I know and see what he says.Trev offered an exchange but it may not be worth the hassle. He has been pretty good with his communication but if it's better to get it done locally, well...

DD

Ok, now THIS is weird. Immediately after writing my last post, I looked at my watch that was sitting on my bedside table after ir was sitting there for a few hours. To quote a Mary Shelley novel, "It's alive...IT'S ALIIIIIIIVE!!!" I've seen people write about Frankenreps, but I thought it meant a different context ;-)

Don't ask me how, but it suddenly started working. God knows how long it will work though. I'll see if it lasts overnight. Oh well, it might be an idea to take it in anyway.

Edited by DiverDoug

The spring has a light coating of oil.

In transit a sharp shock to the package can cause the spring to jump and stick to itself due to the oil coating.

This is the cause of 90% of arrival issues.

A sharp slap into the palm can fix this easily.

Yup Mike, will still take it in to get it looked at. The lume is pretty good, so I don't think it needs to be relumed. Will be interesting to see what happens. Regardless, I'll still write up a full review of the process. Trev has been really good about and apologetic, even though I doubt he personally had anything to do with it not working.

Stay tuned y'all...

Update :

Took it to a watchsmith and was told that it would cost at least $600-800 to service, as they only deal with real parts :-( ....Bummer.

So, any reliable Aussie members here who would be able to service it for the above mentioned price range, or would at least open it up for me?

DD

PS

The jeweller who looked at it said that in terms of being a rep, it would be extremely difficult to tell it from a gen, so another thumbs up for Trev and the Noob factory !

Edited by DiverDoug

Any quote over 80 dollars is robbery.

Agreed, this is a very simple manual wind movement that I believe is based on a pocket watch. It's low beat with minimum parts and service should be well below $100. You could purchase a brand new, ETA 6497 for a couple hundred dollars! I would get looking, yellow pages, online, etc. and find a watchmaker that is will to work on your movements and stick with him. Stay out of jewelery or watch stores that are Authorized dealers and stick to a local guy who happens to be a watchsmith.

Nice watch by the way.

I agree, this is a really simple movement. Any competent watchsmith can work on these. the guys quoting you 600-800 Dollars weren't wanting to work on it, they just shot you a sucker price to get you out the door or be stupid enough to spend lots of money. How can the parts cost that much when the movement alone is around 170.00 USD for an ETA Factory sealed movement. you can buy a SeaGull 6497 equivalent movement for around 45-50 USD.

Find a local independent, if it looks like the parts are not available, drop in a new A6497. If you get a SeaGull sealed from the factory, it should be serviced and ready to go.

I agree, this is a really simple movement. Any competent watchsmith can work on these. the guys quoting you 600-800 Dollars weren't wanting to work on it, they just shot you a sucker price to get you out the door or be stupid enough to spend lots of money. How can the parts cost that much when the movement alone is around 170.00 USD for an ETA Factory sealed movement. you can buy a SeaGull 6497 equivalent movement for around 45-50 USD.

Find a local independent, if it looks like the parts are not available, drop in a new A6497. If you get a SeaGull sealed from the factory, it should be serviced and ready to go.

Final update: A screw inside the watch finally came out to show itself and it would jam up the balance wheel. I took it back to the watchsmiths agreed that it would be a much easier fix. $40 to put the screw back in and check the rest of them (the $600 - 800 was the advertised price for servicing luxury watches, including complications). Now, I have a perfectly working watch and keeps great time and looks good enough to make at least one co-worker jealous that I own a Panerai (sort of ;-) ).

Not only was the watchsmith impressed with the quality of the rep (in terms of looks and function), he wants to buy one himself from Trevor! He had a few reps himself even. And the good news for people here (particularly for Aussies), he may likely sign up to RWG, so it may be another rep-friendly Swiss-trained may be in our midst!

I'll be posting a full review soon of the purchasing process from Trevor. Some interesting findings that newbies might be interested in reading...

DD