When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Rubber Clad Quandry !

Very frustrating problem guys. I bought a Silver dial rubber clad several months ago. in a m2m sale on RepGeek. The seller stated that it ran fine, but the power reserve was pretty low. I got it for a pretty good price, and when I received it, it ran fine. I wore it for several days and the packed it off to a watchsmith from one of the other forums. this guy seems like he knew what he was doing, actually has a real shop, facebook page etc. I sent it to him to have it relumed, crystal AR'ed and the movement serviced. He has a fairly reasonable turnaround, time, sent the watch back, and right off, it didn't seem right. Winding was very rough, like you were turning a stem that was inside a case full of tiny rocks. I didn't think the crown was engaging , but I swirled it a few times, and it started up. I set the time, and set the watch face up on my desk. After a few minutes, I noticed it ha stopped. Shook it a little, started back up and after a few minutes it did the same thing. I contacted the watchsmith and he said that he had never encountered anything like that before, but send it back and he would get it corrected. Well, long story short, sent it back, he got it told me that he took it back down, fixed the problem, and it was fine, good powered reserve and keeping good time. Sent it back, got it yesterday, opened the box this morning and when I wound it, it wound really smooth for the first few turns, and then started the same rough, grinding feeling. I swirled it a few times and it ran OK for a few minutes and stopped again. I tried leaving the crown out, winding more, and it still stops. Interestingly it stops at the same spot every time, seconds hand at about 8 second mark, stops, pick it up and move it just a bit, it runs fine for a few minutes and then stops again in the same exact spot.

Second problem, I don't think he did any lume on my watch, it looks exactly like the photo that the seller posted.  Below are two photos, the first is one of the seller's sales thread photos, the second is one I took today. The seconds hand is in the "Stopped" position, that's where it stops every time.

So guys, what do you think I should do. I'm very reluctant to send it back to this guy, he's had two try's at the repair, and to start with it wasn't a broken movement as it was running when I sent it to him initially. Also I really don't like the way this guy packs a watch to return. Doesn't use any bubble wrap. wraps the watch head in about three USPS mailing envelopes (I suppose this is free packing material!!) and puts this in side a small USPS box. Of course the packing doesn't fill the box so the watch is being slammed around inside every time the package is moved. And we all know how the USPS handles packages. I send the watch to him, carefully wrapped in bubble wrap plus packing peanuts if needed to make sure nothing is moving around inside the box. and get it back with  this crappy packing.

What do you think I should do here. I believe that what I will probably do is send it down to Vac and get it properly lumed and the movement fixed. Problem is, I already have about 400 bucks in to this guy for the lume, service and AR. I expect though that the only way this is gong to come to a happy conclusion is to eat that loss and go  forward from here.

Photos

post-327-0-78922800-1401033633_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-89581100-1401033629_thumb.jpg

most watch smiths don't have the skills or ability to troubleshoot reps. VAC, Domi, The Zigmeister all are amazing at what they do because they know the flaws and know how to counter them. Ive gone to several normal watch smiths and none had the workmanship that vac domi and The Zigmeister have. watches were returned unserviced or with smudges and dust in the dial. In the end I had to send it to one of our trusted service pros.

You are correct, I used Ziggy exclusively until he shut down his operation, since then I have struggled with having things done correctly. If it's Rolex related, I send everything to mymanmatt in Dallas, he has been working on watches primarily Rolex since 1985. Problem is he really doesn't like to work on non Rolex and I can't blame him, at least he's honest about it. He just tells me No!! I've heard a lot about misiekped, but he told me that he won't work on A7750 movements.So that pretty much leaves Vac and Domi. I am very reluctant to send anything to Domi, as German customs is so aggressive toward reps, so that leaves Vac. No problem with Vac, I've used him several times over the years, and his work is very good. Biggest problem is the time frame, he told me 4 weeks on my V5 diver for the slow beat conversion, AR crystal and lume. I believe that it's just now on the way back to me, shipped yesterday. I shipped it to him on January 30th, so almost 4 months instead of 4 weeks. But if he's the only one around that is really skilled enough to make an A7750 more reliable, I suppose he will be the man.

Need to pick you guys brain on another thing with this watch. What is the correct color for the hands/numbers? I see genuine that have numbers that are almost white, and others that are green. I have watches that have very good lume, and the ones that are lumed with c3 are almost white in the watchbox, but exposed to sunlight or even strong room light, they turn green. Is that the case with the Silver dial?

Mate,

Have you tried Rex?  Since Ziggy's departure, I have used both Rex and Vac...yes, Vac will tell you 4 weeks for something which is really code for 4 months...lol.  He does great work but be prepared to wait!

Rex was about 5 weeks for some A7750 work on one of my ROOs.  Maybe give him a try no?

cheers

One if the conundrums of poor workmanship, is the fact that you spend a bunch of money on a watch for service and or mods, the work is not acceptable, but you are out the money! Now, you are faced with spending a lot more to get it fixed right. So, I send the watch to Vac or Domi, the lume will be another 150-175 USD, servicing the movement with a jewel mod will probably be another 250 USD, plus shipping which would add anywhere from 25-100USD. Another 400-500 USD added to the 300 or more that's already been spent on mods/service. Makes for a very expensive watch that I could never get close to my money back on if I need to sell later.

Honestly, this is the second time I've gotten burned by bad repair people, I got taken for around 800 USD when MD2020 refused to send back a Daytona 6265 and Swiss 7750 movement. From now on, I'm going to be a lot more careful with my choice of repair folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why is the lume all pigmented n stuff? The colour in some spots are darker than others.

That's what you get when someone who doesn't know what they are doing, tries to muddle their way though a crappy job!!!

Top photo was factory lume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how many folks this watch has been through, I believe I'm the third owner. The second owner only had it for a short time, and I don't believe he did anything to the watch, but the previous owner may have had someone try to relume the dial numbers. Before was better than now, but only marginally better, maybe better to say less worse. 

I had Rex lume my Rubberclad and the lume looked exactly like this one about 1 month after I got it back. Splotchy, uneven and over the next 6 months degraded to the point of looking so bad I could not wear it. Sent it off to Vac for a relume and although it took 4 months, it came back perfect and glowing like a torch. I won't let Rex touch any watch of mine again.