When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen SubC bezel/insert installation question

dbane883

As many of you know, I (along with a few other lucky members) recently acquired a genuine ceramic bezel assembly/dial combo.

As I understand it, to properly install the (gen) bezel onto a case (gen, noob, or BP), one must perform the following order of operations:

• Install crystal and gasket onto the case/rehaut
  • place the 4 springs/bearings/clicker into the holes in the case
  • align the bezel ontop of the springs
  • ensure the white plastic friction ring is installed 
  • press the thin metal retaining ring onto the crystal gasket with the lipped portion of the ring securing the bezel in place
  • rotate bezel to ensure smooth rotating action
  • lastly, secure the insert onto the bezel using the gen plastic insert retaining clip 

Now if the above is true, then I need to somehow remove the insert from my bezel so that I can safely remove the bezel from the retaining ring.  Can anyone provide guidance how how to remove the insert properly?

IMG_3578_zpsbeaebd59.jpg

IMG_3580_zps4366db41.jpg

bezelconstruction_zps2114f781.jpg

I wish I knew the answer to your question. I am keeping an eye on this this to hear the ideas.

I would think that the retaining ring would be pressed over the crystal and crystal gasket before installing the bezel. I also want to say that I read somewhere that it is best to install the nylon gasket inside the bezel and press that on.

Also hoping someone can help get the insert off. Most threads say that a special die has to be used. I am sure some modded has done it though.

I would think that the retaining ring would be pressed over the crystal and crystal gasket before installing the bezel.

No.. the bezel goes on first.. then the retaining ring...unlike previous generations of subs.   the retaining ring is slightly thicker at the top and has a lip that overhangs the inside portion of the bezel.  it's impossible to mash the bezel over the retaining ring if the ring is installed first

I am no expert and have no first hand knowledge of this but are you sure?  I know that the BP disassemblies I have seen show the retaining ring with a wider upper section that does hold on the bezel.  I also think that this assembly forgoes the nylon ring between the retaining ring and the bezel.  In the diagram that you posted, it looks as if there is a small lip on the bottom of the retaining ring.  I looked a little more closely at the same diagram in my R20 catalog and it shows it as well.  I am wondering if one of the guys that received their assembly disassembled could take some pictures of their retaining ring and also of the underside of the bezel.  

DSC_0366_zpsdd10da21.jpg

BP Sub (pictured borrowed from the web):

pu6ara7a_zpsbdd2fd32.jpg

I've taken apart the BP as well, and yes, there is no friction gasket between the retaining ring and the bezel.. But the construction is otherwise the same as gen, with the exception of the mysterious insert retaining clip.   

I think....  Really cant confirm until I get this f--ker apart

so I stand corrected.. Installing gen bezel assembly is different than the BP.  It would appear that the order of operations is:

1. install crystal gasket and crystal to the case
  2. carefully press on the crystal retaining ring (just like the 16610).  Thicker part on top
  3. snap on the tiny friction washer so that is is flush to the bottom.
  4. install bearing springs and clicker
  5. press on the bezel..  It looks like it can press on with thumbs.. Cant really tell until I try it once the ring is expanded by the crystal gasket.

Now removing the insert from the bezel is still a challenge.. havent figured that out yet.  

Actually. The thin plastic friction washer needs to snap into the inside bottom of the bezel first. Then the bezel is pressed over the retaining ring.

The sides of the washer is "T" shaped and fits into a channel in the bezel. This must be installed before the bezel is pressed on.

edybydu4.jpg

unevasuz.jpg

Now that the retaining ring is off, I think if I had a die that had the same OD as the bezel's ID, I could press the insert off. There's enough of a lip now to push the insert and equal (theoretically) pressure can be applied to release the retaining clip without snapping the ceramic.

I'm getting scared.

e2umu5yt.jpg

Glad you got it off!!!  Sounds like you are discovering and backing up what little I have been able to glimmer off of the internet. Please be careful with the little gasket that goes inside of the bezel.  I have heard that it is easy to crimp and not easily available as a replacement.  I am still unsure how to get the insert out safely.  It has to come out, otherwise there is no way to guarantee that your insert will line up properly.  Rolex lists several dies but I don't have any pictures.  I wonder if one of the dies has a diameter the same as the ID of the bezel (so that the inner lip of the insert is resting on the die) and the other die just barely fits over the bezel.  Thanks for the pictures by the way!!!!

what case is this going on a v3 or a bp?

I have not decided. Most likely neither. At this point, I'm just trying to familiarize myself with how this thing is constructed.

I have mainly been working on vintages recently, so the modern ceramic sub is a bit of a mystery to me. Although I do own a gen 114060, I have not had the balls to dissect it...yet.

I'd rather experiment with a $800 Indian special first before tackling a future project with this bad boy.

Well. It would appear that a 32mm die fits perfectly inside the bezel and one could then put it on a press. Will need to find another die that has a ID that is just smaller than the OD of the bezel though. Might have to mill a custom one.

Will hunt through the tool box tonight.

nadasa8a.jpg

From what I hear though, separating the insert from the bezel is a task that is complicated even for RSC.  Allegedly, RSC technicians snap inserts occasionally, so whatever method Rolex is using, it is not 100% foolproof either.    

My suspicion is that the mysterious plastic insert retaining clip is sacrificial; i.e. one time use only.  So even if I can remove the insert safely, I may need to source a new retaining clip to reverse the process.   Just a guess at this point.

Guest mikemcnair

A 1-1.5" PVC plumbing coupled can easily be "milled" to proper specs with a common cordless drill, some sand paper, and a re minutes of time.

I have often had to make my own tools for things, and if done right you can certainly achieve the desired results.

Do keep us posted, I'm intrigued!

Also, the bezel removal tool is your friend (for future reference)

I will post a pic in a moment of the one I have.......