When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Invicta "Submariner" Buying Review - Mod 9937

childishthing

So I'll preface THIS review with a "Feel free to freak out because... it's not a real fake". I felt like doing a review of this watch, and I felt like this is the audience to share it with. Please enjoy my review of the "ultimate" Invicta Pro Diver.

IMG_3941.jpg

While getting impatient for my first fake Rolex to arrive (a DSSD), I researched and ordered yet another fake Rolex. I'm sure this watch is not new to anyone here; the Invicta Pro Diver. I'm also pretty sure there are literally over 500 variants of the Pro Diver series, ranging from under $80 to over $1000. I took some time and sorted out the "what", "why", and "how much" for the watches which most closely approximate an actual Rolex Submariner. If you're considering getting one, this should be helpful.

These are the key differences I found between the watches in the Pro Diver subset... (feel free to correct any errors I've made in my research) keep in mind there are MANY models I'm not including because I only focused my research on about 5 sub-models.

Major differences:

-Crystal: Mineral [All Models] or Sapphire [Mod 9937, 9938]

-Crown: Screw down [Mod 9937, 8926] or button [Mod 8932]

-Movements (most common): Quartz [Mod 8932], Japanese Citizen Miyota 8215 21J [Mod 8926], Seiko Automatic NH25A 21J & NH35A 24J [Mod 8926], Swiss Movement: Swiss ETA 2824-2 25J [Mod 9938] & SWISS ETA 2824-2 26J [Mod 9937]

-Bracelet: Hollow link [All Models] or Solid link [Mod 9937]

-Clasp: fold-over [All Models] or deployant [Mod 9937]

Foldover

43ea68a785fa.jpg

Deployant

9937OB-clasp-500x500.jpg

-Bezel: Scalloped & Coin Edge (most models)

Scalloped (Omega style)

9937-Pro-Diver-e1288301248974.jpeg

Coin Edge (Rolex Style)

51-NiGd-XGL.jpg

The top-selling and best-reviewed watches are the 8932, the 8926, and 9937, in order of cost. All are water resistant to 200M, and all look nearly identical.  I was between purchasing the 8926 & 9937 initially, because they both have automatic movements and both have screw-down crowns. For snobbish reasons, the Quartz movement had been immediately ruled out. Older models of the 8926 have the Miyota movement, while newer versions were upgraded to the Seiko. If you don't know, the difference between the NH25A & NH35A (besides the number of jewels) is that the NH35A has a hacking feature as well as a winding crown, whereas the NH25A movement has neither of those features. So did I want my watch to say "JAPAN MOVT" or "SWISS MOVT"... I wasn't sure the cost was worth the difference, so I kept researching.

The next thing I found was that there are TWO bracelets available; hollow links or solid links, and out of all the Pro Divers out there only the 9937 got the solid links. As I looked closer, the 9937 also has a nicer looking deployant type clasp. I was pretty much sold. The bracelet is a pretty major part of my decision when buying any watch, and I knew I'd like the heft of this one better.

Everything I read seemed to reinforce that the 9937 was the best choice; the 26 Jewel Swiss Movt was arguably the best movement available, and a sapphire crystal was only available for the 9937 alone.

Okay, so back to price. You can find Invicta watches at Zales, Sears, JCPenney, Kohls, & Macys.... and of course eBay and Amazon. Stay away from Blue Fly... I've never read more bad reviews of a website in my entire life. I don't know how that website is still up.

8932 Quartz: MSRP $195.00 - Can be found for under $80 online, expect to pay over $100 at a store.  I found 2 "new in box" listings on eBay for under $40.

8926 Japanese Auto: MSRP $315.00 - Typical seems to be about $80 - $150. Most sellers don't have info on which movement is inside, and some show the "8926" model # yet describe it as a Quartz watch. From the better sellers I've noticed the cheaper ones tend to have the older Miyota movement.

9937 Swiss Auto: MSRP $1295.00 - Typical seems to be about half. I started my search because I saw this watch in person at Zales, on sale for $849. Most reputable online stores will sell for as little at $600-625 w/ free shipping. I snagged mine for $325 on eBay, new in box (with fingers crossed it would actually show up). It was likely old stock purchased in bulk (watch stamped from 2010), and yes, my watch needed a good wind when I took it out of the box.

So, it arrived... out of the box my first impression was "Wow, this is a gorgeous watch!" Really. The bracelet is beautiful, the case is very highly polished, and the heft of the watch feels excellent in the hand. I actually like this bracelet better than the genuine Submariner. Setting the time and date, the movement feels good and the date rolled over smoothly. Crown screwed back in nicely as well. Wore it around all day and I love looking at it.

20140527_203816_zpsydnnhsgg.jpg

20140527_204025_zps8z16xewx.jpg

20140527_203842_zps9oanmj0i.jpg

20140527_203946_zpsnbbqtydc.jpg

20140527_204214_zpsbhxx80la.jpg

20140527_204339_zpsdzqyo7vb.jpg

About 12 hours since setting it, I think it's running +2 seconds. Atomic clock confirms, we'll see where it's at after 8 hours of rest.

The only thing I find to be poor on this watch is the lume. The lume on the markers and hands are slightly off-white with a slightly yellow hue instead of pure white during the daytime, and the light is dim when illuminating. It is definitely bright enough to read the time in the dark even hours after lights out, but I expected a brighter lume. Also the markers are not as bright as the hands.

20140527_205132_zpsxakpzfxx.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with the watch and will wear it for a long time. If you're going to get one, I advise you do not spend your money on the Quartz, and make sure you get either the 8215 Miyota movement, the NH35A Seiko movement, or the 9937. If the Rolex look is important in your decision, make sure you get one with a Coin Edge bezel as I've found nearly all models are available with both types of bezels, including the 9937.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts, please share yours!

Edited by childishthing
  • Like 2

Guest mikemcnair

Great review! While I am not a fan of Invicta and their pricing practices (EVERY SINGLE WATCH "retails" for a ton, and EVERY SINGLE WATCH SELLS for a significant reduction, everywhere you go, every day of the week, no matter what. Why not just list the price as it should sell and call it a day? Why try to make people feel like they are getting some awesome deal and they are the lucky one, when I reality it's all a ploy? That just rubs me the wrong way. Used car and mattress salesman do that, we don't need it in the watch world!)

Sorry for the rant...

Anyway, this piece is an excellent watch. I have one on my bench at the moment in pieces, and everything about it screams quality. I would have to walk downstairs to confirm the model #, but it's a solid bracelet, coin edge bezel, automatic movement that looks IDENTICLE to an ETA 2824, and the clasp is tight and well executed. So I'll assume it is the 9937 you refer to.

I am unsure what the cost was when new as it is not mine, but I know my buddy loves it, and I can see why.

All in all, a great piece!

Well done sir!

PS: let us know when the DeepSea is in hand, I'm wearing mine right now and all I can say is it is the best overall watch I have ever owned.... All 7 of them (I mentioned in another thread; I have had every version, Franken, and gen DSSD one could get their hands on. It's always been my "Grail")

Wear both in good health sir!!!

Nice write-up.

I think these Invicta pro divers are cool watches for $80-100. I've got 5 of them- two quartz, two w/ Miyota movts. and the last one- an 8926 w/ the new Seiko NH35A.

Problem is that I rarely wear them. I'm more likely to put on a $400 'beater' Rolex rep when I'm doing dirty work.

You could have bought that watch for between $250-$300 on ShopNBC, which is the major hawker of the Invicta line. It's also available on Amazon for $329.99.

The 8926 I always thought was a good value at around $80-$100, especially with the newer movement. It's about like buying a noob Sub, but a little better quality.

I just dislike the company as a whole, especially their uber inflated MSRP's and the way they sell on ShopNBC. Watch one show with the President (Eyal) and you'll feel slimey even through the TV. I'll give them credit for moving away from their initial business model after the company moved to the US (which was producing low quality knockoffs of established watches), but now I don't think they build a men's watch that's much less than 47mm. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't wear much of what they produce.

Vegas, specs:

Brand Invicta Style 9937OB Series  Pro Diver Style  Casual Size  Men's Gender  Men Case  Stainless steel Dial Color Primary  Black Clasp Type  Deployment Band Material  Stainless Steel Band Type  Bracelet Case Material  Stainless Steel Caliber  SW200 Band Width (mm.)  20 Band Length (in.)  9.0 Bezel Function  Black unidirectional coin edge bezel Luminous  Hands and hour markers Water Resistance  200M Movement  Swiss automatic, 25 jewels Crystal  Flame-Fusion crystal with magnifier Case Diameter (mm.)  40 Case Thickness (mm.)  13 Calendar  Date display at 3:00 Case Back  See thru skeleton Material  Stainless steel

Good write up.

INVICTA 9937 - is it worth it?

So you might be wondering what's the difference between this model 9937 and the Invicta 8926. PLENTY! These two similarly styled Pro-diver watches look almost the same - so you might be asking yourself why spend an additional $200 for something that looks like its $100.00 fraternal twin??? Here's why you should own the 9937!

Automatic movements:

The 9937 has a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement in it's stainless case. This Swiss movement is the baseline for automatic watch quality and reliability. This same movement is used in Oceanaut, TAG, Breitling, Omega and a host of swiss watch names with prices into four figures!

The 8926 uses a Japanese Citizen Miyota 8215 movement. Absolutely nothing wrong with this mechanism. A great time keeper. Miyota movements power many great name automatic watches - but it is not Swiss and is significantly less costly to produce!

Crystal:

9937 utilizes a sapphire crystal for the watch face and display back. Sapphire is most scratch resistant - the most desirable watch face material - can only be imprinted by a diamond. The date magnifier (or as Rolex calls it the "cyclops") is much more prominent on the 9937. Not only is the magnifier larger in area and more prominent than its 8926 counterpart - the date magnification seems to be 1.5X larger on the 9937.

8926 finds a mineral glass watch face and display back. Mineral glass is not as scratch resistant as sapphire - but is more chip and shatter resistant. Mineral glass is significantly cheaper to produce for the manufacturer.

Stainless Steel Bracelet:

The 9937 uses a heavier - higher quality stainless bracelet than its 8926 counterpart. Both bracelets are attractive - double lock foldover clasp - the Swiss Diver bracelet is easily worth the extra money.

Swiss movement vs Asian made:

I'm not a watch snob. Invicta Pro-divers - whether Asian made 8926 or Swiss movement 9937 are lookalikes to the Rolex Submariner. Invicta built its' modern reputation on the 8926 - a good solid diver - the Swiss made 9937 was an answer to a demand for a higher quality timepiece from Invicta 8926 owners! I own both models and enjoy the look of both in different situations.

Both are very attractive - are easily affordable and reliable automatic dive watches that will last many years. The 8926 and 9937 are 660ft water resistant, both have screw down crowns - large attractive 316L surgical brushed stainless steel cases 43mm in diameter -unidirectional scalloped bezels - good LUME coming off the dial and hands, date at the 3 o'clock position - and both are quality built.

CONCLUSION:

The 8926 is (IMHO) the greatest watch value for around $100 dollars. It rivals SEIKO in style and quality and is the price leader when you're looking for a quality dive watch.

The 9937 offers a higher standard of material and construction - with quality components that reassure you every day you wear it. For many of us - a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement, sapphire crystal diver for under $300 is magic to the pocketbook and the watch collectors soul.

When you feel the need for a Swiss automatic diver on your wrist - with great looks and quality all around -the Invicta 9937 deserves a special place in your watch collection.

Forgive the hyperbole - it was written two years ago when I was enthralled with the ETA 2824-2 movement - be it Asian assembled or Swiss Made ...

Since this has been written - Invicta has switched to another Swiss movement - also assembled in Asia - the 26 j SW200. Personal taste and better experience will guide you through the complexities of this hobby.

Here are some of the most encountered automatic movements:

Citizen-Miyota 8215 21j date complication. Japanese movement - found in Invicta Pro- divers - solid auto movement

ETA 2824-2 Swiss movement from the SWATCH Group... 25 j the Swiss auto standard. Now being rationed and harder to find outside of Swatch Group brands of watches. Invicta no longer can obtain this movement in quantity. Found in two varities:
1. Swiss Made on the watch dial indicates Swiss parts and Swiss Assembly
2. Swiss Mov't or Swiss Movement on the dial - indocates Swiss parts assembled elsewhere - as is the watch overall

SW200 - another Swiss wmovement 26 j available to the industry in quantity - new to the market - slow QC start but now accepted as a 2824 replacement

The 25 j prodiver from Invicta is no longer manufactured - unless old stock. Despite what it says in the ads - your 25 j prodiver is probably as 26 j SW200. I think it's worth the money - I own both types...

All I can say is. . . Mike, you are the MAN!

Thanks for always getting us the great info bro!

Good write up.

INVICTA 9937 - is it worth it?

So you might be wondering what's the difference between this model 9937 and the Invicta 8926. PLENTY! These two similarly styled Pro-diver watches look almost the same - so you might be asking yourself why spend an additional $200 for something that looks like its $100.00 fraternal twin??? Here's why you should own the 9937!

Automatic movements:

The 9937 has a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement in it's stainless case. This Swiss movement is the baseline for automatic watch quality and reliability. This same movement is used in Oceanaut, TAG, Breitling, Omega and a host of swiss watch names with prices into four figures!

The 8926 uses a Japanese Citizen Miyota 8215 movement. Absolutely nothing wrong with this mechanism. A great time keeper. Miyota movements power many great name automatic watches - but it is not Swiss and is significantly less costly to produce!

Crystal:

9937 utilizes a sapphire crystal for the watch face and display back. Sapphire is most scratch resistant - the most desirable watch face material - can only be imprinted by a diamond. The date magnifier (or as Rolex calls it the "cyclops") is much more prominent on the 9937. Not only is the magnifier larger in area and more prominent than its 8926 counterpart - the date magnification seems to be 1.5X larger on the 9937.

8926 finds a mineral glass watch face and display back. Mineral glass is not as scratch resistant as sapphire - but is more chip and shatter resistant. Mineral glass is significantly cheaper to produce for the manufacturer.

Stainless Steel Bracelet:

The 9937 uses a heavier - higher quality stainless bracelet than its 8926 counterpart. Both bracelets are attractive - double lock foldover clasp - the Swiss Diver bracelet is easily worth the extra money.

Swiss movement vs Asian made:

I'm not a watch snob. Invicta Pro-divers - whether Asian made 8926 or Swiss movement 9937 are lookalikes to the Rolex Submariner. Invicta built its' modern reputation on the 8926 - a good solid diver - the Swiss made 9937 was an answer to a demand for a higher quality timepiece from Invicta 8926 owners! I own both models and enjoy the look of both in different situations.

Both are very attractive - are easily affordable and reliable automatic dive watches that will last many years. The 8926 and 9937 are 660ft water resistant, both have screw down crowns - large attractive 316L surgical brushed stainless steel cases 43mm in diameter -unidirectional scalloped bezels - good LUME coming off the dial and hands, date at the 3 o'clock position - and both are quality built.

CONCLUSION:

The 8926 is (IMHO) the greatest watch value for around $100 dollars. It rivals SEIKO in style and quality and is the price leader when you're looking for a quality dive watch.

The 9937 offers a higher standard of material and construction - with quality components that reassure you every day you wear it. For many of us - a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement, sapphire crystal diver for under $300 is magic to the pocketbook and the watch collectors soul.

When you feel the need for a Swiss automatic diver on your wrist - with great looks and quality all around -the Invicta 9937 deserves a special place in your watch collection.

Forgive the hyperbole - it was written two years ago when I was enthralled with the ETA 2824-2 movement - be it Asian assembled or Swiss Made ...

Since this has been written - Invicta has switched to another Swiss movement - also assembled in Asia - the 26 j SW200. Personal taste and better experience will guide you through the complexities of this hobby.

Here are some of the most encountered automatic movements:

Citizen-Miyota 8215 21j date complication. Japanese movement - found in Invicta Pro- divers - solid auto movement

ETA 2824-2 Swiss movement from the SWATCH Group... 25 j the Swiss auto standard. Now being rationed and harder to find outside of Swatch Group brands of watches. Invicta no longer can obtain this movement in quantity. Found in two varities:
1. Swiss Made on the watch dial indicates Swiss parts and Swiss Assembly
2. Swiss Mov't or Swiss Movement on the dial - indocates Swiss parts assembled elsewhere - as is the watch overall

SW200 - another Swiss wmovement 26 j available to the industry in quantity - new to the market - slow QC start but now accepted as a 2824 replacement

The 25 j prodiver from Invicta is no longer manufactured - unless old stock. Despite what it says in the ads - your 25 j prodiver is probably as 26 j SW200. I think it's worth the money - I own both types...

• 11 months later...

I don't know, something about Invicta watches just makes my soul die a little bit each time I see them. Really dislike the brand, how the company is run, their pricing schema and over-all goofy designs. This is one of their better looking watches for sure, and a decent homage, but something about it just really still bothers me... just being honest.