When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 1966 Gilt Explorer

ogladio

Hi guys,

The 1016 is a special model for me. Have owned a couple of cheap reps earlier, but decided to put in some funds.

Would like to share with you some pictures:

m7s2m.jpg

yccuz.jpg

t637.jpg

e2zu.jpg

6iu5.jpg

y73t.jpg

a2qv6.jpg

qrng.jpg

a923z.jpg

gvyar.jpg

uoe4n.jpg

qrg8y.jpg

And why have a pretty movement if you're not gonna show it off?

yxo6.jpg

645k1.jpg

...and for all you puritans - caseback is still left, no worries ;)

bpup.jpg

i6f3a.jpg

Well, as most of you saw from the case profile and lugs, this is a 1601 based franken.

Full parts list:

*1966 Gilt 1016 Explorer dial (this type was used 64-66, before that chapter ring and after non-gilt)
*Tritium hands (allegedly from a 1964 gilt 5513 sub)
*Tropic 22 superdome crystal
*JMB custom made bezel (thanks mate!)
*Rolex 1601 case, non-drilled lugs
*Rolex 1570 non-hacking movement (recently serviced, date parts removed) - correct for a 1965+ build (before that 1560)
*Display caseback from Custom Watch Concepts (and a 1966 1016 caseback just for show - doesn't fit the case!)
*Yuki 7206 bracelet, fixed endlinks squeezed in

Must take this opportunity to thank others who have gone this path (alligoat and most of all ubi!) for the inspiration - for me the gilt 1016 dial together with the slender 160x case is the perfect combination, heck like it even better than the gen 1016 case! Thanks also goes out to lhooq for helping me along the way and Domi for assembling this. Might consider drilling out the lugs (if I can find anyone with the guts to do it lol!) and upgrading the bracelet and endlinks - but honestly this feels good as it is and I wear it all the time right now.

Thank you for looking, and please do comment with suggestions, questions or thoughts - as always much appreciated!  :good: Yes, even things like "are you sure that superdome is gen?" is good to hear in the long run...  :fool:B)​ 

that 1570 is beauty. which 1570 would i need to throw in there? or should i just buy a 1601 and switch out the dial to 1016?

The easiest path I'd say is to find a 1600, 1601 or 1603 from before 1972 for something like $1500 and have the movement worked on by a trusted watchmaker. After then you just switch dial as you say ;)

Wow what a beauty. Love these just wish they were bigger.

They're no 60 mm EGI:s, that's for sure. For my tiny wrists I think they're quite perfect in size though with their elegant presence.

74xm.jpg

1bg6.jpg

6pvm.jpg

gpr1e.jpg

• Like 1

No doubt man. That is elegant and pure vintage beautifulness. I love simple dials and no date, plus 1966 is my birth year. I have been tempted many times to buy one of these vintage explorers but I have 7.3 wrist and a 36 mm is about as small as I can go these days. Great build and wear in good health:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk