When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 1966 Gilt Explorer

ogladio

Unfortunately due to time constraints, I wasn't able to write more in my first reply.  This franken clearly deserves a lot more, so here goes:

I know you asked for suggestions, but I wouldn't change a thing.  Even drilling the lugholes seems to be a lot of risk for an uncertain amount of improvement.  I am curious, though, about the depth of that display caseback.  How much thicker is it than the standard 1601 part, and how does the watch sit on your wrist?  

I'm still amazed and impressed that you acquired a genuine gilt dial.  It's gorgeous, and really sets your 1016 apart from projects that preceded it.  Now, if only you could find a longer minute hand to go with it...  OK, that's my one suggestion!  Great job finding a superdome T22, by the way--especially one with the paper envelope.  (Mine came in plastic, courtesy of a certain Mr. Mulholland.)

Lovely, lovely build.  Well done, and wear it well!

• 4 weeks later...

Was a while since visiting this thread, thanks you all so very much all for the comments!  :notworthy:

Unfortunately due to time constraints, I wasn't able to write more in my first reply.  This franken clearly deserves a lot more, so here goes:

I know you asked for suggestions, but I wouldn't change a thing.  Even drilling the lugholes seems to be a lot of risk for an uncertain amount of improvement.  I am curious, though, about the depth of that display caseback.  How much thicker is it than the standard 1601 part, and how does the watch sit on your wrist?  

I'm still amazed and impressed that you acquired a genuine gilt dial.  It's gorgeous, and really sets your 1016 apart from projects that preceded it.  Now, if only you could find a longer minute hand to go with it...  OK, that's my one suggestion!  Great job finding a superdome T22, by the way--especially one with the paper envelope.  (Mine came in plastic, courtesy of a certain Mr. Mulholland.)

Lovely, lovely build.  Well done, and wear it well!

Great feedback above M, very much appreciated!! :good:

Re the display caseback height, yes you're absolutely right about it being noticably higher - thus making it melt in on the wrist just a little bit less:

fuqb.jpg

Gen 1016 caseback on left, 1601 on right:

m3jh7.jpg

a2l1.jpg

I started out switching between these options - but have had the display back on for a long time now. Not that bothered by the extra mm:s. Have however looked a bit at the new model from CWC - might just ask I'm about its height and switch:

32_0.jpg

And you're absolutely right about the minute hand, missed that! Didn't notice earlier that there was a difference between a 1966 gilt 5513 hand set and a 1016. Will maybe keep my eyes out for a 1016 minute hand then...  :play_ball:

Gen shots:

p2dp.png

Rolex1016_C00821-860x860.jpg

Mine:

y73t.jpg

Was a while since visiting this thread, thanks you all so very much all for the comments! :notworthy:

Great feedback above M, very much appreciated!! :good:

Re the display caseback height, yes you're absolutely right about it being noticably higher - thus making it melt in on the wrist just a little bit less:

fuqb.jpg

Gen 1016 caseback on left, 1601 on right:

m3jh7.jpg

a2l1.jpg

I started out switching between these options - but have had the display back on for a long time now. Not that bothered by the extra mm:s. Have however looked a bit at the new model from CWC - might just ask I'm about its height and switch:

32_0.jpg

And you're absolutely right about the minute hand, missed that! Didn't notice earlier that there was a difference between a 1966 gilt 5513 hand set and a 1016. Will maybe keep my eyes out for a 1016 minute hand then... :play_ball:

Gen shots:

p2dp.png

Rolex1016_C00821-860x860.jpg

Mine:

y73t.jpg

Looks like the dial is slightly crocked to the right?

Beautiful piece! It's my birth year too!

Appreciate the info and knowledge. Now I am more tempted than before with knowing the "path of least resistance" to a 1016 via 1600, etc.

How does one go about sourcing the dial and it is an easy swap out?

Beautiful piece! It's my birth year too!

Appreciate the info and knowledge. Now I am more tempted than before with knowing the "path of least resistance" to a 1016 via 1600, etc.

How does one go about sourcing the dial and it is an easy swap out?

Great to hear! Dial swap is straightforward, 1016 dials fit right into 160x. Dial feet positions are the same for Rolex 15xx movements, so gen spec dials fit in without cutting feet. If using eta, just get movement ring from eg rafflestime and preferrably use better rep dial (ev have it relumed/aged).

Service gen 1016 dials pop up every now and then and are not that expensive. Also on our forums, scan sales sections. Earlier gilts are much more $$$$, shoot me a PM if you need some contacts to try out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Not crazy at all, problem is what he meant by early explorer was 6610 with a 1030 or 10xx series. Yours is a 15xx series and so the hands wouldn't fit.

Thanks cc! You saved me both time, effort and funds there (even though it seems those hands are sold now). Kind of hope that a 15xx series don't show up in the future - think and pray I can live with the minute hand not touching the minute marker :)

Out of curiousity - could you care to explain a bit about the evolution of explorer hands and compare to say sub hands?