When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

LMPO - First rep in over 5 years, impressions

abat

I haven't bought a rep for about five years and have been away from the forums. When I came back recently I was really trying to assess what might be a good purchase. I'm not really a modder so I wanted something that was good to go out of the box as it were. I'm a fan mostly of Omega (owning a Gen Speedy) as well as Rolex and Breitling. The reps I have are from 2007/8/9 and were all considered super reps at the time so that is what I was looking for. 

I might do a separate post in comparing my experiences from back in the day to now but for now let me concentrate on this watch. I'll also do a separate review of the TD.

Initial impressions out of the plastic were great. I did have a fear that there might be something I missed on the QC pics but nothing I've noticed so far. That dial is fantastic and very "gen-like". Adjusting feels a little "looser" than gen POs I've played with but overall very good first impression. The bracelet though is a bit of a let down. Firstly it was an absolute nightmare to resize and I made the same mistake as others by trying to take the pin out of the half-link. I also managed to scratch the side of one of the links pulling the pin out. Anyway once I'd broke out the glue and a bigger toolkit it is all back together and working. The etching on the clasp is sharper than on my old UPO but still not at the level of my Speedy (although I don't know what the gen clasp on the LMPO looks like in terms of etching "sharpness"). Generally the bracelet doesn't feel very gen-like and I think this is destined to end up on leather (might even spring for a gen strap).

Overall I am very happy with my new purchase the LMPO looks and feels very gen-like. I would say though if this had been my first ever rep, aside from not having a huge set of watch tools to sort the bracelet, I might have been put off by the bracelet experience. That said it did take me back to sizing a UPO bracelet years ago which was equally a nightmare.

Obligatory photos.

Exciting plastic out of the cardboard:

IMG_1066.jpg

All shiny and new still with the plastic protectors:

IMG_1070.jpg

Finally a wristshot:

IMG_1075.jpg

Looking great. So do you have any tips for adjusting the bracelet? A few of us have LMPO watches coming from what I gather. Me included. Would a small drop penetrating oil help?

Edit* Oops I just noticed you were on the other thread so you know who's waiting lol

Looking great. So do you have any tips for adjusting the bracelet? A few of us have LMPO watches coming from what I gather. Me included. Would a small drop penetrating oil help?

Edit* Oops I just noticed you were on the other thread so you know who's waiting lol

My tip on the bracelet is not to try and remove the pin of the half-link. It has an arrow but don't be fooled! If you do the entire end will likely fall off and need fixing. The tube that holds the pin also seems to be a slightly thinner diameter on this link too which limits your options for using one from another link if you lose it.

Edited by abat
  • Like 1

My tip on the bracelet is not to try and remove the pin of the half-link. It has an arrow but don't be fooled! If you do the entire end will likely fall off and need fixing. The tube that holds the pin also seems to be a slightly thinner diameter on this link too which limits your options for using one from another link if you lose it.

Nice one thanks! I know I need two links out from my last PO that I regretted selling but that had tiny little crews holding in metal bars. Is this the case with this model?

Seems to have gained just 11 seconds in the 28 hours since I set it - good stuff.

I have my LMPO. Fantastic watch but I'm not sure of the bezel feel, the clicks don't feel solid like my noob sub? Same with you? Other than that it's fab

Can you tel me is it just pins ie metal rods holding the bracelet? I can't seem to budge with my pushers? Is it just brute force to shift them mate?

I have my LMPO. Fantastic watch but I'm not sure of the bezel feel, the clicks don't feel solid like my noob sub? Same with you? Other than that it's fab

Can you tel me is it just pins ie metal rods holding the bracelet? I can't seem to budge with my pushers? Is it just brute force to shift them mate?

Bezel seems fine to me. Yes just pins in the bracelet I used my small "solid metal big screw" pin pusher as the plastic one I have looked like it would fall apart even looking at the watch. Make sure you are using the arrows but don't be fooled by the one on the half-link.

Oh my god. After walking away twice I have finally resized the bracelet. The bracelet itself is sweet it's the pins. They are made out of some sort of soft cheese alloy and are indeed a pig to work with. If you grip them tight to pull out they flatten and bend. Use a pin pusher and wd40 plus mole grips but don't grip them too tight. A shame for a $300 watch I'm sure some will get trashed in the process.

Anyway it's been worth the aggro. Great watch. Love how flashy it looks on the wrist. Sort the garbage pins out though noob! The worst watch I've ever had to resize by a big margin.

post-62919-0-16149800-1402422365_thumb.j

post-62919-0-87969600-1402422408_thumb.j

AGREED!   I had to take out 4 links and mucked up one pin in the process.   Luckily, the bracelet was so large, that the odds of ever needing all 4 links back in are slim.   It would take someone with Popeye arms to need it that size!

I went into the Omega shop today (no I wasn't wearing a rep Omega!) :)

They had the range of liquid metals on display and the lovely lady talked me through them. 42mm, 45.5mm and chrono. I could find absolutely no difference in feel, finish or appearance to these noob watches. These are bloody impressive watches in the flesh but no more impressive than ours even after a good look at pics on my phone. I really hope the success of this watch is recognised and they apply the same ATD on other makes and models.

The price tag for the 42mm was an eye watering £3,800 or there about. $6,400

I went into the Omega shop today (no I wasn't wearing a rep Omega!) :)

They had the range of liquid metals on display and the lovely lady talked me through them. 42mm, 45.5mm and chrono. I could find absolutely no difference in feel, finish or appearance to these noob watches. These are bloody impressive watches in the flesh but no more impressive than ours even after a good look at pics on my phone. I really hope the success of this watch is recognised and they apply the same ATD on other makes and models.

The price tag for the 42mm was an eye watering £3,800 or there about. $6,400

What were your thoughts on the bracelet. Sizing issues aside to me the gen bracelet is much "smoother". It is hard to explain but it feels of much higher quality although looks the same.

What were your thoughts on the bracelet. Sizing issues aside to me the gen bracelet is much "smoother". It is hard to explain but it feels of much higher quality although looks the same.

Perhaps a few sticky links when it arrived but I spent an evening applying rock n roll gold lube as I have done with all of my ss bracelets so it's super slinky now and seems to give it a depth of lustre. I didn't feel much difference to be honest even in the weight.

The rock n roll lube can be bought off eBay from demon Tweaks direct. Great stuff I've nearly gone through a bottle :D