When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

About to purchase a Rolex

Ge0rge3boy1122

I'm also relatively new, still.    I had the same concerns and my first few buys were all Swiss ETA's.   I have a Rolex Sub, DSSD and Breitling Seawolf, all from Andrew, which have performed PERFECTLY.    However, learning from the more experienced members here, I finally took the leap and bought an Omega LMPO with an Asian movement.   I received the watch Tuesday and it has been running perfectly since.   Runs as smooth as the ETA and has kept perfect time.   

If this unit holds up well over time, I'll make it my go-to movement for future purchases.   It's save a lot of cash, for sure!

I know you can save money with Asian movements, but personally I'd rather have Swiss.

Then if it ever needs servicing down the road, parts are much easier to get and work on.

More Swiss ETA experienced modders than Asian movement guys.

Just my .02 cents!

Dave...

Guest REPPIN

Let me let you guys in on a little secret. 

ETA hasn't been selling movements to the open market for quite some time now. 

So...MOST of the ETA "Swiss" movements you see aren't really Swiss...or at least they aren't 100% Swiss. If the dealers advertise this...well they are just lying some of the time...plain and simple. 

The Asian copies these days are almost as good as the Swiss in terms of reliability. And when they are properly serviced, they can really be as accurate as well. 

Save the cash and get the Asian, because that's probably what you are getting anyways with the so called "Swiss" movements. The last 2 reps I had bought that had "Swiss" movements in them really had a mash-up of parts. My watchsmith said that at least 40% of both movements were made from Asian replica parts. 

It's true. All of the so called swiss that I have seen, and thats quite a few, in the last year have ALL been asian. Not a gen in the lot. The stamps on their main plates is almost perfect. But, when you do as many gens as I do, its easy to see the difference.

Before you spring for and ETA Swiss movement go over to RWB.bz and read the two threads in their repair forum about all the watches that are coming with movements that aren't even Asian copies of the ETA's ! Lots of unhappy folks who are finding out that what they are getting is not what they ordered.

There is a current thread here in General Discussion about movements as well.

What Mymanmatt is saying is true, and I believe him, he's been working on watches for a long time, and I guarantee you he can tell the difference between the movements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For some reason, all of the silver asian 2836-2 or 2824-2 with the decorated plates, have been horrible movements. If they do manage to run for more than a day, they loose or gain anywhere from 30 mins to 7-8 hours. Still haven't figured out what the problems are. I've had some smiths a lot better than me look at a couple, they can't figure it out either. I think I may be jacking the thread.   No, just go with the gold Asian

I know you can save money with Asian movements, but personally I'd rather have Swiss.

Then if it ever needs servicing down the road, parts are much easier to get and work on.

More Swiss ETA experienced modders than Asian movement guys.

Just my .02 cents!

Dave...

I have 5 or 6 asian 2836 clones and so far gen parts go right in.

For some reason, all of the silver asian 2836-2 or 2824-2 with the decorated plates, have been horrible movements. If they do manage to run for more than a day, they loose or gain anywhere from 30 mins to 7-8 hours. Still haven't figured out what the problems are. I've had some smiths a lot better than me look at a couple, they can't figure it out either. I think I may be jacking the thread.   No, just go with the gold Asian

my gold 2836 clones work great

• 2 weeks later...

They have clearly put Asian 2813 Highbeat movt in the SOSF V2 "asian clone 2836-2" and the PO Ceramic "Asian Clone 2836". Just study the pictures and you'll see it is the same movements as in the budget Rollies with "Asian 2813 New Breed Highbeat 25j 28.800". The Budget Rollies selling from around 150USD, the SOSF and PO Ceramic around 270-300 USD! Of cource they can charge this and sell it, since an actual clone would justify the price, but not the 2813 highbeat!

Study the pictures! Do not buy anything with silver centered rotor ball bearings assembly. Only go with the ones with golden center.

Sometimes claimed as Swiss ETA, but probably that is the actual Asian 2836 clones.

Hangzhou and Sea-Gull make good ETA clones. Who made this 2813 Highbeat stuff I have no clue. Major issues, described over at RWI and RWG.BZ.

Edited by Smab