When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen insert keeps popping out of TC v6

glight2000

I just picked up a TC v6 in M2M with a genuine insert. The insert keeps popping out--not falling out, but it's loose. I tried going around it with a superfine and soft nail file to get it to fit, but the darn thing won't snap in in one place. I'd appreciate your guidance on how to proceed before I resort to a tiny toothpick dab of superglue.

8emuqe5u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You overdid it on that portion of the insert. To be frank, you ruined it. Of course it won't snap in now.

As stubborn as it might be, I honestly don't believe a gen insert requires any filing to fit into a TC bezel. But my sample size of experience with TCs is limited to two.

There's always one small section like that, not specific to the location of the insert. 50 is shown. I can get 50 snapped in, but then another section will be out. I can get 85% snapped in--it's always the last 15% that's out.

Edited by glight2000

If you're going to use a press, make sure the die only hits the outside edge of the insert. Otherwise you'll just flatten it and make it worse.

I would get it 85% in and then turn it over and roll the last bit in on a hard surface like a desk.That's the correct way.

Something else to consider... think of the insert not as a flat piece of metal, but as a segment of a cone. As the cone becomes less flat and more pointy, its outer diameter at its base becomes smaller. You can use that to your advantage.

Try pressing the insert down over the neck of a bottle and you can deform it into more of a conical shape, and it will snap right in. Work with the angle of the cone and the ease of its fit until you get it where you want it.

• 2 weeks later...