When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best 5514 to begin with (Puretime best?)

John71

Hi

I've ordered this PT5514 : http://puretime-asia.com/product/vintage-comex-submariner-5514-best-edition/

which I'm planning to mod by RolexAddict. My budget is not that big (that why I chose this model, it has decent dial I think and ETA low beat)

First of all I now this case is a 1665 case right? So it too thick... can this be modded or do I need to source any new parts to get it decent or can RA pull it of with this stock watch? If new parts needed, which ones do I need :) 

Oh btw he doesn't respond to my mail, any info on that?

Thanks!

This is the best 5514 to begin with:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/170689-ultimate-rolex-5514-pre-comex-submariner/

....Oh wait... I guess you said something about a budget...nevermind :)

You are right, this is one of the best 5514 I have seen so far. I have just bought this nice gen 5513 MK3 insert for my 5514 build. Hope mine will end up just as nice.

On topic, I started my hunt for a vintage Rolex with a nicely modded (and not so expensive) cartel 5513 (modded by Dutchguy), sold it a while ago, but still miss it.

post-51669-0-27309900-1402608624_thumb.j

You are right, this is one of the best 5514 I have seen so far. I have just bought this nice gen 5513 MK3 insert for my 5514 build. Hope mine will end up just as nice.

On topic, I started my hunt for a vintage Rolex with a nicely modded (and not so expensive) cartel 5513 (modded by Dutchguy), sold it a while ago, but still miss it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Wow Nice Fat Font MK3 insert. 

let me know if you grow tired of it and plan on selling it.  :)

You would have been best off hunting down a case set from the run that HH above made a while back. Although few, they do come up for sale every now and then.

RA is a very busy man and although he can do wonders with cheaper parts, I know he doesn't like thick cases :)

Your best bet with the PT 5514 is to trim the crown guards and enjoy the watch. You could age the dial or put a new one in there if you feel like spending the money. You're not going to be able to do much with the thick case except age it also

But it's not a bad rep for the price- and it's got the 2846 in there which is a good movement (but it might need to be serviced). It's a good place to start.

Sure, it's possible. But you get the PT for $288 + $20 s&h.

Then you send it to RA and spend another $500 maybe! Or more. Best to check w/ RA and see what it's going to cost.

Maybe you could thin the case and bezel, relume the dial and trim the cgs for $200-250- it would stil be a nice watch and no one will know it's a rep anyway!

But RA did this with a thick 1665 case... : http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=109155

so it's possible right?

yeah tremendous job, probably took him a long while to get to that outcome.

the problem is the case back and bezel are still too thick for a 5514.

GEN

Rolex-COMEX-Submariner-ref-5514-Crown.jp

so either accept it with its flaws and enjoy it or find a different starting point, if this is your 'grail watch' eventually those flaws will bother you, imo

either accept it with its flaws and enjoy it or find a different starting point, if this is your 'grail watch' eventually those flaws will bother you

Truer words were never spoken. I'm wrapping up my third go at a Big Crown; the previous ones were very, very good. But this will be a Holy Grail piece and it has to be perfect.

I have a small stable of watches that are intended to be abused, so the requirements list is small. They MUST be waterproof and cheap enough I don't care if I smash it. :Jumpy: If they look pretty good, that's good enough for me.

The others are long term keepers so they get more respect, fewer mtn bike crashes, and they have to look "correct". Gouges and dents are encouraged.

Then there are the gens. They get better treatment, hard use, good maintenance, and they are the Nemesis ... unfortunately they look so good, everything else looks bad.

So they make me up the ante with the other pieces, but I have to remember what they are: disposable fun pieces. I try to keep them in their categories and that helps.

thick case cant be fixed, youre better off modding a 5513 case with an he valve, but once you start modding and adding parts from here and there it ($) adds up quickly

Puretime also has a 1665 Comex... is this watch easier to mod?