When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Advice :) Please help me decide on a replica time piece :D

omegasix

Hi, guys!

I'm a finance major at university who is looking to purchase his first and only replica watch till I can afford a gen. I have landed a great finance internship this summer and am looking to purchase a replica watch for no more than <$600 (and is not a rolex).

I need your advice!

The following below have peaked my interest, if you have other suggestions for me please link me <3

My criteria for choosing watches are:

- Will be recognized among other college students
- Reliability 
- Closest to Gen

KW Patek Philippe Aquanaut Rose Gold
KW PAM 312
KW PAM 388 O Series
KW Audemars Piguet Royal Oak OFFSHORE 

Thank-you for your help,
any help/opinions are greatly appreciated.

I know my opinions, I am looking for YOURS!

Edited by omegasix

Recognized by other college students .... certainly none of those if you are talking about brand recognition.

Rolex, Omega, or Tag Heuer would probably be the only brands recognized by most college students. Most wouldn't know anything else, except perhaps the women also knowing Cartier.

Personally, I would go with a TC Rolex Submariner, an Omega Liquid Metal Planet Ocean (or the UPO or v4 or v5 42mm Planet Ocean in an M2M sale), or a Cartier Santos XL Ultimate if you want to make sure people recognize it.

Would have a completely different recommendation if you were just looking for someone to think it looked good.

I interpreted his question differently ... I think he was asking, "Will other college students recognize it as a fake."

If I were a college student  (Lord was that ever a long time ago), I'd just find the watch I liked best and say it was a graduation present from my parents.  I have a bunch of college students of my own now, and that's what I suggest they say if asked.

Now, bearing in mind that everyone has opinions, I'll answer the question the best I can but first I'll try to steer you in a different direction.  My advice for the guy wanting to spend <$600 who doesn't need problems and issues would be to buy a nice Seiko - they have some exceptionally nice mens sports watches in that price range.  Then, when you can afford it, I'd buy their top of the line spring drive ... that watch is (IMHO) a really incredible piece.  That MarineMaster with the power reserve indicator is on my list!

If you must have a rep, keep in mind that you can lose your money entirely if customs takes it, it may show up dead on arrival, or it may have other problems, no matter which trusted dealer you buy from.  That being said, I'd go for a rep with a REAL SWISS MOVEMENT, and I'd stay away from the complicated designs with sub dials, push buttons and such.  Check to see what the rep watch you like would cost as a gen - a college student wearing a $50K watch is not very believable.

Something like a Tag or a basic function Breitling might be a good choice, and there is always the ubiquitous Submariner, but when people see a Sub on a college student, expect them to assume it is fake.  There are also a number of nice Pams available with Swiss ETA movements.

Don't overlook the possibility of M2M (Member to Member) purchases.  A well known member is unlikely to take advantage of you (we have some truly incredible people on here), and a purchase that doesn't have to clear customs is one less thing to worry about.

Good luck to you.

Bill

Glade Raider "go for a rep with a REAL SWISS MOVEMENT" that is a crap shoot you have seen the threads right?

Yes, I have seen the posts, I am sorry to say.  

On the other hand, the posts about the garbage being sold as Swiss movements are not consistent with my personal experience, but that may be because I have bought a few reps over the years, mostly from the same TD, and I would be very surprised if he sold me anything that was not as he described it to be.

In addition to these Rolexes, I have Pams, Omegas, Breitlings, etc.

post-223-0-25168000-1403187325_thumb.jpgpost-223-0-62467200-1403187345_thumb.jpgpost-223-0-02474700-1403187361_thumb.jpgpost-223-0-08477100-1403187386_thumb.jpgpost-223-0-91104100-1403187398_thumb.jpg

Over the years, I have developed good reason to trust my "Trusted Dealers."  I've had many of my watches worked on and I've yet to be told my "Gen Swiss Movement" was actually some sort of cloned junk.  The GMT 2893s, ETA 2836s, Lemania, and 6497 movements have always been legit.

We also have guys who hand build their products, many of whom have come and gone over the years.  It would be hard for me to imagine them risking their reputations by pawning off junk as Swiss.

I've never dealt with TC (Thomas Caddell), but I have read much of his published work, and I suspect that the recommendation by someone responding previously was a good one.

Still, sad to say, many of our members that I consider to be perfectly credible have complained that they have not gotten what they paid for from dealers on this Forum, so a newbie may very well have something to worry about these days.

Bill

• Like 2

TJ what an awesome collection. You have excellent taste. Love all those Rolexes.

And the man said, "I'm no alcoholic, I'm a drunk."

The other man responded, "Well, what's the difference?"

To which the man replied, "We don't go to those stupid meetings."

The line between passion and pathology can be a fine line indeed!

;)

And the man said, "I'm no alcoholic, I'm a drunk."

The other man responded, "Well, what's the difference?"

To which the man replied, "We don't go to those stupid meetings."

The line between passion and pathology can be a fine line indeed!

;)

That's funny you chose that quote. I have been in recovery for a long time. I have worked as an administrator in behavioral health for 20 years. I conquered the drug and alcohol demons but man this watch addiction is a beast:). Hey love your collection but how about a dress Rollie...jump out there with some gold.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

That's funny you chose that quote. I have been in recovery for a long time. I have worked as an administrator in behavioral health for 20 years. I conquered the drug and alcohol demons but man this watch addiction is a beast:). Hey love your collection but how about a dress Rollie...jump out there with some gold.

Personally, I don't like gold watches, although there are a couple of the wrapped 18K gold/stainless subs in that collection from back when the really good wrapped versions were available.  I'm often in questionable places with nefarious people ... I don't want to get shot over a watch, especially some counterfeit that got some punk confused.

The watch on my wrist at the moment is a classic (lug holes in the case) Rolex GMT Sub with a gen Swiss 2893 GMT movement ... just try to find one of those these days.  The watch smythe who serviced my other one told me that the 2893 is a better movement than Rolex used in the gen back in it's day.  I can tell you that they both keep perfect time.

For dress, I have two gens, a Pam 088 GMT and an Ollech and Was Mirage T3; I believe that both have some version of the venerable Valjoux movement.  They go quite well with other fashionable mens accessories by Colt, Kimber and Springfield Armory!  

Bill

this is a nice piece, comes with a nice strap too :p

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/170790-fs-panerai-390-noob-modded-finalprice-drop/

There you go real nice custom strap 44mm Hmmm maybe doable.

Gladerider imagine you got most of your stuff a while ago. I think the recent crunch on ETAs w/ Swatch cutting back outside sales to next to nil has made this more prevalent.

Sorry droptop no bling at the MOAB house either. :partytime:  This being said really like TT sub but will wait till I can buy Gen :whistling: or not going there, as Gladerider knowingly states they aren't wrapped these days. I would need an extra bracelet  to damn short anyway. :frusty:

hey omegasix,

It depends on what you will be doing and for what company; i work for an IB and trust me you don’t want to come day one as an intern with a Patek or a AP ROO. Also, if you work in a high paying environment a lot of the guys will know something about watched and will be able to pick our the Patek as a fake fairly easy (if thats something you care to avoid).

I would suggest a Panerai or a high end Rolex  if your looking for something you would be able to pull off. Alternative, the Tudor BB

Avoid rose gold, as an intern ppl will know you cant afford it.

Hope that helps

Edited by AndyFors

Yes I get that I am somewhat different liking the gold. I tried to get away from it but keep going back....it's a character defect. I'm a flashy ******. TT 16613 blue my favorite watch of all time. Had 2 gens in that model and my rep is from way back and actually has sold gold links bezel and crown. Not a very good rep but it is real gold:). I do have a grail 16750 almost done. Love vintage gmt's. We will see if that takes the throne. That is really the only Rollie I have always wanted but for some reason never bought. Gen or rep.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.