When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Servicing a gen is not cheap

netniet

I received today a offer from my AD on a complete service of my 21 years old gen Omega Speedy Reduced, total cost incl. replacing the current caseback will be around €718.

The crystal needs to be replaced, they want to replace the hands, and some other movement parts.and the movement needs to be cleaned and greased again (last service was more then 10 years ago)

Can I demand that they not replace the hands (I want to keep the current vintage look), and can I ask for old parts they want to replace?

This is the beauty:

post-51669-0-82873900-1403295054_thumb.j

Find an indepenent shop.  It should be about 1/2 that price.  Omega parts are not like Rolex parts, and the non-AD watchmaker should be able to accomodate you and your special request to keep the vintage hands. 

I agree with ronin, the AD's always want to make every watch"like new" which is not what you want with a 21 year old watch. Service at a well qualified watchmaker should be no more than half that price, using genuine parts and a complete movement service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I work at a Clock and watch repair shop that is an old family owned business (not my family, sadly). We just repaired an old Speedy for a client, which consisted of upkeep cleaning and oiling, replacing the crystal and gaskets, replacing bent stem, and slight adjustments to the return springs on the chrono, all for just over $475 U.S.

He couldn't believe how expensive it was, compared to what he paid for it when he bought it brand new in the 70's ($500). Then I told him that it could easily fetch around $3000 if he wanted to sell after it was fixed, and he changed his tune real quick. But you are correct, for the cost of a Gen repair, especially a vintage piece, one could easily get 3 or 4 of our reps fixed up.

Edited by Uberscreamer

I did know it would not be cheap to service this watch, I was expecting that it would be around €450 in total, not €714

Replacing the hands is a no go for me, I want the case, dial and hands to be original, these give the watch the character it has.

I will ask the AD if they can specify which parts they want to replace, and why. And then I will decide I if will let them do the service (the AD has send the watch to Omega), or go to an independent watchmaker.

My southern EU AD quoted me between €500 to more like €600 for a perfectly running 2002 Seamaster plus cost of new bezel insert plus whatever was found in Switzerland. (Send in watch for service, estimated turnaround time 3-4 months). This was about 1,5 Years ago. For my part I don´t want a new bezelring and don´t want it polished either, like the looks as is, so I let it be for now. 

General question: doesn´t servicing it with a non-AD decrease the value in the long term (20-40 years)?

Just asking because buyers want a Rolex "with that vintage look" and the recommendation always is "only buy it if it was recently serviced by a Rolex AD" which seems somehow contra-sensual

I would never bring a watch to the AD,... only when it still has warranty or when I've a good relation. In some rare cases it is just nice to have the service papers from the manufacture, but only with special watches. 

In the Netherlands there are so manny great watchmakers who can do the job for a lot less, so,.....??? 

Ferrie Schweitzer

W&V

etc, etc.

Edited by Bidle

I agree abat mate but they do polish and clean and relace parts that you may not want doing if you want to keep the vintage look.Breitling service £480. Tag service £350-£380

I agree if you don't want it to have the parts replaced or come back looking new, especially for a vintage piece.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The only time a had a watch serviced by an AD (Cartier) they didn't seal the back properly and moisture got in. So now it's independent watchmakers all the way... I like to chat with the actual guy who does the work.

+1. Would not bring a vintage piece to an AD. Typically they have to offer a warranty and in order to do so they will want to do a lot more to ensure it lasts. We have the opposite approach - do as little as possible to keep the watch as close to original as possible. I am ignoring the fact that I too find them to be twice as expensive for a given movement service versus a qualified independent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been saying this for 25 years...

The problem is and always will be parts. The entity that controls parts, controls the prices. Basic labor to c/o a watch is not really the problem. Since the factories decided to limit or stop parts supplies to small repair shops, service prices have gone up a few hundred percent because shops that can get parts will charge out the wazoo for service (factory authorized service centers for example). Shops that can not get parts are left with swapping batteries and working on watches that need no parts.

'Parts' = any part that is exclusive to a certain watch...generic gaskets, most crystals, spring bars etc will still be available.

Another sad fact...

Anyone who completes an extensive watch repair course is now faced with working for an AD, factory authorized sweat shop, or working on junk in a hole in the wall shop from now on. Not only are watch owners getting screwed but the future of watch repair as a vocation is bleak indeed.

In a few years, cheapo throwaway watches will be all you see (except on rich fat guys).

...along with a few submariner replicas.  Ha!   :pimp:

I had my Ebel serviced by a independent watchmaker. He had to change a part in the movement so that wouldn't be cheap at an AD. The total job cost me 225 euries. If I had it serviced by Ebel it would have cost me at least 900 euries if not more.

Send with Sony Experia Z using Tapatalk Pro