When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Big Gonzo build - Finished

Nanuq

Gentlemen, after two years sourcing parts, trips all over the world and unlimited patience and help by friends far and wide, and after specific guidance and willingness to part with some extremely rare parts by our own cc33, I can finally call this build Finished. What an adventure!

More photos to come!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks mate, I guess I may as well get rid of the rest of the collection, this thing isn't coming off my wrist any time soon.  ^_^

Let's see if I can remember the details.....

3rd owner Minh Quy case, it had some lovin' when I got it, and I added lots more

ETA 2846 low-beat with custom retaining ring

Case machined to lower stem height a smidgen

NOS 8mm Brevet crown and tube

Ivan gilt dial, made with original pad technique on gen plate

CWP hands, aged and lumed to match the dial, then broached for the ETA

ETA hours wheel hand seat machined to accept the hours hand

Phong bezel with a little lovin'

MK III fattie insert with the world's ugliest pearl

Gen T-17 domed crystal

Minh Quy riveted oyster band.

As always, many thanks to the many people here that helped me finish this puppy!  :tu:

I just updated the pics with some that didn't go thru the Tapatalk "squishing" process.

Now it's started raining here so natural-light photos will have to wait.  But I'll post them when I can!

Thanks!  If I didn't have the camera skills of a drunken baboon I'd be able to show what it really looks like. 

Trust me, it's niiiiiiiiiiiiice.  :tu:

post-32-0-78039500-1403733284_thumb.gif

BAM!!  There it is, cc33 ... the reason I mortgaged the dog.  That's God's Own Dial right there.

Oh wait..... now it's MINE.   :Jumpy:

Thanks for helping with the photos!

You're right Mendota, these dials are absolutely incredible.  They're made with the original technique, with a gilt (brassy) base plate then the black applied over that, to let the gilt shine through.  Then the depth rating (200m=660ft) is painted on top of the black.  The surface texture is perfect, and the hour plots are perfect.

When I first saw this dial on cc33's watch, that was the end game.  I directed my build so someday when the time was right it could slide right into the Big Gonzo.  That dial has been the focal point of this entire project for almost 2 years.  It came together when cc33 got an even better dial for his Big Crown.

What?  He never mentioned it?  You guys need to look very closely at his most recent photos.  It's perfect.