When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are you going to get an iWatch, Check out my Nixon, is this a good watch?

icoopernicus

So today was no different than any other day. By that I mean I was asked if I would be getting a smart watch, cause I like watches and that's a watch. 

Another one that comes up fairly regularly - "I have a nice watch but I don't wear it much, it's a Fossil and it was like $200 I should show it to you sometime."

While wearing a Cal. 1887 Carrera a coworker said "You like watches huh, check this out." I just looked over at his watch and said "yeah, that's pretty nice" it wasn't though, it was some 50+mm Nixon in gold and it was not nice. The assumption being that 55mm Nixon > 41mm Carrera

I'm starting to get the feeling that people really don't understand my interest in watches. Does anyone else get questions like this? Do people expect you guys to rush out and drop your cash on an iWatch? Do they show you their 55mm monstrosity of a centre running seconds chronograph wondering why someone who likes watches is wearing such a small watch? I mean can't you afford a big watch?

• Like 2

Just to be clear, I'm not asking anyone here if they are getting an iWatch, just asking if others ask you that :p

All I can think when asked this question is "to what would a affix my actual watch while wearing this iWatch?"

Yes i get asked weird watch questions a lot. Staff come in with pics all the time. Would you wear this? No....how about this one? No...

I have an iPhone so when the news hit a couple asked about the iwatch. Again not my style. And several co workers are rocking Nixon's...

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

yep i know what you mean about the expencive fossil watches, i used to get it lots in my last job, Andy can you change a battery for me in my best and most expencive watch?

me- what is it?

Them- A fossil, quite expencive, have you heard of them?

me facepalm!

Definitely deserves a palm to the face, I get it from my family, friends, heck my wife even showed me a cheapie POS on Amazon and said "I know you like watches, look at this..."

But is it really any different than with any other hobby? From the inside looking out it's hard to explain to an outsider. If they don't share the passion then to them it's just a watch. I get the same thing with my cycling. It also goes with if someone looks at it as a utilitarian device to mark the passing of time or as a fashion accessory or as a piece of horological history. Probably no different than a typical guy looking at a woman's shoe collection, "she's only got two feet, why does she need 50 pairs of shoes?"

I do get these kinds of questions often since everyone I work with and around knows of my watch addiction and while my initial internal response to the Fossils and Nixons and whatever else they have is similar to some of those posted above I try to step down off the horological horse a bit and put myself in their shoes.

Along the lines of jpz comment, a "nice" watch is a subjective measure and is relative to the perspective of the observer. What is not a nice watch to me may very well be to someone else. Similarly, how nice a watch is really is dependent on what it is compared to. For example; a $200 Fossil is a much nicer watch then say a $40 Walmart no-name or a $10 flea market digital. So for me the fact that someone likes what they have and are proud to show it to me in acknowldgement of my interests I think is very nice so I return comments in kind. Not everyone is a WIS so why would I expect them to be?

:)

As it's a real chore to take my phone out of my pocket every time I want to check a text, email, etc I find myself wondering how I would go about wearing an iWatch or similar.

My best guess is mechanical watch goes destro and iWatch goes on the left wrist (I am right handed).

I will let you all know if this happens ;)

OP hang in there you are bound to run into a proper WIS at some point or other.

Cheers!

He can pick up a Seamaster for $200 on amazon? I'll take 10!

My Tissot PRS516 is always assumed to cost more than my Speedy and Cal. 1887 due to size and trendy styling and if I owned a Nixon or Fossil (gave the Fossil to a coworker) they would also garner far more attention than any of my higher end watches or even my reps. 

I like watches and I manage an IT department. That means every second question is "are you getting an iwatch?".

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who use binary and those who don't.

Oh man, how much I understand you... But we are IT, so we MUST (in their minds) stick to all new trashnology that comes out, know all the functions of ALL the smartphones around, and, obviously, be ready to fix "that PC I've at home, which is not working fine but it's only 7 years old and I'd like to have W8 on it" :/

If only DEAD people understand hexadecimal, how many people understand hexadecimal?