When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Seamaster PO LiquidMetal from Noob - Short review

GenTLe

So nice that I simply couldn't resist... So I catched an Omega POLM.

Some details about the gen model (from http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/watchmaking/liquidmetal):

Swatch Group researchers collaborating with OMEGA’s product development team created a striking ceramic bezel whose numbers and scaling, made of the Liquidmetal® alloy, appear in stunning silvery contrast to the black ceramic background. The colour of the ceramic dial perfectly matches that of the bezel. The result is an aesthetic wonder only made possible by several new and innovative processes.

The Liquidmetal® alloy is an amorphous metal – a metallic material with a disordered, non-crystalline atomic structure. Its fusion temperature is half that of conventional titanium alloys but when it is cooled, its hardness is three times as great as that of stainless steel. Its amorphous structure allows it to bond seamlessly with the ceramic bezel.

A bulk metallic glass like Liquidmetal® can, by virtue of its low critical cooling rate, be formed into a structure with a thickness of more than a tenth of a millimetre. Zirconium is an important constituent part both of the Liquidmetal® alloy and of the ceramic material which is made of zirconium dioxide (Zr02).  

The final, perfectly smooth bezel is particularly resistant to scratching and corrosion because of the hardness of the two components.

The OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean Liquidmetal® Limited Edition, which has a stainless steel case and bracelet, is driven by OMEGA’s revolutionary Co-Axial calibre 2500. These movements, which have been heralded for their long-term chronometric performance, are perfectly complemented by the robust, corrosion-resistant ceramic and Liquidmetal® alloy components.  The result is pure OMEGA: a design premiere which will retain its appearance indefinitely, blended with innovative Co-Axial technology.

The Noob rep:

Can't say a lot: it's one of the best super rep I've ever seen and this it's execution is just perfect.

It's just quite problematic to properly size the bracelet as the links are VERY tight and definitively not easy to deal with.

Let's the pictures speak for me.

Cheers, GenTLe

post-63910-0-35273300-1403971085_thumb.j

post-63910-0-59747300-1403971116_thumb.j

post-63910-0-10044100-1403971123_thumb.j

post-63910-0-87369200-1403971129_thumb.j

post-63910-0-54407600-1403971134_thumb.j

post-63910-0-62685700-1403971145_thumb.j

Wow... You like scratches :D

Just because I've a perfect way to get rid of them ;)

How is the AR coating? Looks good in the first few pics but not so much in the second to last one

I don't have real terms of paragon since I don't own any high level gen with AR coating, but out of the 3 it's the best one.

• Like 1

What's your scratch removal trick? I'm a scratch magnet myself!

For shiny areas and if the scratch is superficial I simply use a dremel (at minimum speed) with a pressed cotton tampon soaked with finishing professional abrasive fluid.

post-63910-0-77779700-1404045046_thumb.j + post-63910-0-02257900-1404045045_thumb.j

If the scratch is deeper then I pre-treat the part with fine wet sandpaper (nr 1500) until the scratch is gone, and then dremel + fluid

post-63910-0-09581700-1404045271_thumb.j

For matte parts I simply use the 1500 sandpaper, taking really care to use it in the direction of the original brush marks. If the brushed part is more rough then I select a different sandpaper (but never below 1000).

Also that black and Blue GMT looks awesome. :)  You have great taste.

Thanks! :)

It's a good one, Pro-hunter version, sourced from TrustyTime, paid for the A2836 and instead got a gen ETA inside :D Took away the PVD bracelet as I prefer it with a Nato strap.

The Cartier instead needs some work: 1st AR coating and 2nd relume (this last thing I'll do by my self at some point).

Now waiting for a Gran Carrera Cal 36 and (hopefully) an IWC St. Exupery my 2006 (like this http://iwmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/The-2006-special-limited-edition-IWC-Pilots-Watch-Chrono-Automatic-Edition-Antoine-de-Saint-Exupery.jpg )

Edited by GenTLe