When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Humble Vintage 6152/1 Luminor Panerai Build

Henio

Greetings RWG family :wave:

I wanted to start a separate thread for this build because of how many hours and the many many obstacles and challenges I encountered with this build before it was finally completed. Normally I like to build the non traditional pieces and express what I am feeling at the time of a build, but for the longest time I have fallen in love with and always wanted to build the Flagship 6152/1 Luminor Panerai.

These are the photos I was studying and referencing for this build:

cc5762d3b5a6fdaedfbec0388e5422a7.jpg

a8b0c43afdbbabd788125af1adc3d577.jpg

What I love most about this piece is its simplicity and smoothness. Other than some patina and age on the case, the dial is very clean and flat and the double pencil hands are lightly aged for a perfect combination.

After almost beating myself senseless and spending endless sleepless night and going to work half dead this is what I ended up with

143cba55bda7ee18b6347468a1add665.jpg

I would like to thank Rob for sending me the case I used for this build. I posted a WTB add for a 6152/1 case and Rob took care of me. Although the case needed some serious work and was in rough shape when I received it, I know it was exactly what I wanted. The case began as a Fiddy case and had the tube tapped and Athaya's brass tube was installed along with an Athaya crown guard with the 8 stamp on the front and the Brev Ital on its rear.

ACDBAE5F-D3AD-4647-857A-9AE574304716.jpg

The case needed a lot of work and I completely reshaped by hand using files (no dremel touched this at all) After about 6 hours straight of filing, as we know the fiddy cases need much work done, I spent an additional 6-7 hours sanding and polishing by hand. I dont think the case set is quite up to my standard yet, so I might go back to it in the near future and sand and polish it some more. I reworked the crown guard, exposed the lever pin and reworked the ridges of the crown with a this triangle file to make the crown ridges super sharp.

I modded the case set by fitting a River T24 tall dome Moulded Plexi and fitted a DSN polished finished OPB engraved display caseback from Night Watch. The brass dial is a Daytona 38mm shaved just a tab with a back plate. I painted using Tamiya Black and touched it a tad with matt black. I resin filled and vintage lumed using Holios T15-4 lume, and this baby glows!! The hands are Nightwatch double pencil hands and the engine is a serviced Swiss ETA 6497 with seconds removed, keeping +2 seconds per 24 hr, power reserve at 57hrs strong when fully wound. I mounted on a Gunny "74" strap with a sewed in buckle to finish her off.

I put a ton of time and dedication in to this piece. what helps me out is that I am undiagnosed OCD and have to make sure that everything is done right, or I wont be able to sleep. I appreciate my wife for letting my be while I was working on this piece and encouraging me to finish it and stop slacking.

Well enough with all the chitter chatter, without further adue, I present to you My Humble 6152/1 Luminor Panerai, My Wife named her "Sleepless Beauty". ;)

4938510a1eaf2953ebbab54516b973f0.jpg

0392bbe4d28de0a0e2d441d5a244d591.jpg

473969802fc6bdd7096ef147e0fb8e02.jpg

Case Reshape

2fd3e589357c634c42d790190902d403.jpg

556927f533889b0963d56e8e2fc3a207.jpg

eafc87d6a43359b7390812256abbb28d.jpg

7163fa6ca26221cbad011b3dce75a547.jpg

Crown guard reworked and crown ridges filed

5e3fadd57e23291d14faf6269df815de.jpg

9334ccc27bb5f5a92594d9d0764bd218.jpg

The Engine Swiss ETA 6497

0d14393d5c26c620a507a312cd2acc2c.jpg

b105a5b195dc3c398686f26c47063438.jpg

6f8d84286bff16ee0d0a2c2aadcd88fa.jpg

2533 RP sneaking a peak....

3c1f3220fce6fd3aea2e2ff634e54800.jpg

Thank you all for looking. I appreciate all of the support and encouragement for the members here who I speak to on a regular basis. Everyone keep building and keep posting, it encourages me to try new things and build better pieces. Peace, Love & Build :wave:

H

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind words and enjoying my humble 6152/1 build :) I have to say that I extremely proud of this build. A lot of time and bad words went into this piece :)

I would like to further mod and use an Athaya or NW brass movt ring and reshape to fit the case for a nice snug fit as well as tap the lug holes and use solid lug bars.

I am currently thinking about building a humble 6152/1 LP with seconds at 9 using a Hamilton 917 movement and maybe a A6152/1 case set, thoughts?

Nicely done!.........but If it was me, I would age the dial and hands a little bit more.....

I actually did that initially, and didn't look nothing like the gen, so I reverted to a clean finish :) and you can barely tell the difference. I prefer vintage and aged pieces if you take a look at my ongoing vintage builds you can see that, but I wanted this piece to be clean :) thanks for looking!!

Edited by Henio

Hi Henio, that is a great build! Congrets on the hard work and superb result.

Do you also have some pictures of during the build, the artisan work?

Hi Henio, that is a great build! Congrets on the hard work and superb result.

Do you also have some pictures of during the build, the artisan work?

Greetings and thank you!

Not for this build, but if you take a look at my ongoing vintage builds thread, I have plenty of beginning to end pictures for many of my projects :)

Cheers!

Greetings and thank you!

Not for this build, but if you take a look at my ongoing vintage builds thread, I have plenty of beginning to end pictures for many of my projects :)

Cheers!

wow! Just checked that thread, amazing! What an inspiration and example for starting my long in the closet 6152/1 project!

Very nice build and great photos!

thank you much brother!

That's a magnificent build. This piece is better than gen--crafted with love and care. Superb work!

thnks glight! reshaping the case set takes the longest by far. its so tedious, sucks. but when you get close to finishing it, and starts coming to life, "its alive, its alive!" then its all worth the battle :)

cheers and thanks!

• 2 weeks later...