When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6265 Mayer Dial on eBay

davids100

hi folks,

Found this one on eBay: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/AUTHENTIC-MINT-RARE-ROLEX-DAYTONA-PAUL-NEWMAN-MANUAL-RL-240614-/371090223854?pt=AU_Watches&hash=item5666b372ee

everything seems to be fine but the main question is about the dial. I know it's been debated lots and lots of times here and on the VRF but have a look at this one and tell me what makes it a fake one. Does it look like a refinished dial by some of our franken sellers Phong, Ingod, Minq or others)?

Are there any tell that pump out immediately when you see it besides the ROC instead of RCO?

No, if it is a true Mayer dial then that's the whole problem, they're really, really good. Mayers whole argument is basically who'd make such a good fake dial but then only make a handfull of them and then completely disappear and never make any more or any other similar dials.

Which, of course, is flawed logic for many possible reasons. The author of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo only wrote 3 books before he suddenly died. This dial maker easily could have just begun doing work before he met his demise, or just got tired of it, or ran out of money, or something happened in his life forcing him to quit. Sh#t happens all the time to people.

Mayer is probably right, but his theory could be picked apart and there is no way to prove either way.

Which, of course, is flawed logic for many possible reasons. The author of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo only wrote 3 books before he suddenly died. This dial maker easily could have just begun doing work before he met his demise, or just got tired of it, or ran out of money, or something happened in his life forcing him to quit. Sh#t happens all the time to people.

Mayer is probably right, but his theory could be picked apart and there is no way to prove either way.

Yes all true, the mystery continues. And of course Rolex do not say the dials are fake and we know how carefree they are about declaring parts as fake as Mayer found out on some of his other watches.

How much did Mayer day he would pay for any Mayer dial PN's? Could be money to be made if the one on Ebay is a true Mayer dial ;)

Edited by theblueprince

Enlighten me guys. 

I have a vague idea of what this is about but need some gaps filling.

John Mayor bought some rare watches that later were flagged by Rolex as being fake. Were these only the exotic dial Daytona's?

Did Rolex explain what was wrong with the dials as I understand they were very good. Did anyone else say why they were fake?

The rest of the watch was genuine?

Have many other 'Mayer' dial Daytona's come to light?

How do you know the eBay Daytona in the OP's post is a Mayer Daytona?

Got any links for the story of the dials?

Cheers

Mayer has some "Mayer dial" PN's, named after him by the WIS's on VRF. Rolex do not say these are fake dials (neither do they say they are genuine though) but a lot of vintage Rolex WIS types do say they are fake. Mayer has offered to buy any PN Daytona with a Mayer dial from any collector who has one but thinks the Mayer dials are fake for a high value ($60K springs to mind)....none have taken him up on this afaik.

These are not the watches he bought from Robert Maron that are now part of his legal action - they are different references that Rolex do say have fake parts on.

For info on the dials just search on TRF, VRF etc.....pages of discussion and argument. In a nutshell if they are fake they're pretty much perfect other than them being 3-C-ROC instead of 3-C-RCO. Obviously a lot of debate around this....why make a perfect fake dial but with a reference that supposedly doesn't exist for example.

I haven't looked at the one on Ebay closely enough yet to compare to a confirmed Mayer dial but at first glance it does look like one.

These are not the watches he bought from Robert Maron that are now part of his legal action - they are different references that Rolex do say have fake parts on.

i did not realize that the Daytonas were NOT part of the dispute.

Rolex did indeed authenticate that the "Mayer dial" daytonas were real...speculation is there because so few were made and by a 3rd party dial printer.Rolex does have complete records pretty far back.Do not kid yourself when you hear that thet kept poor records.Rolex knows exactly what they have produced over the years....so the argument that John M. has: if they were "FAKE", Rolex would have flagged his "Mayer dial" daytonas immediately...which they did not... ;)