When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

QC Pic Question

herdpm

Ordered my first "ever" replica purchase yesterday. Got an email today that it was shipped from Andrew. I never received the QC pics before it was shipped. In your experience is this a big deal? I don't think it is, but I've never bought a rep before. Thanks.

I almost always have to check my spam or junk folders when Andrew is sending my QC pics. No matter what I do, they always seem to end up there.

Is it a big deal? Only if you receive the watch and find a problem.

If the photo email is not in your spam/junk folder, I would email him asking why they weren't sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked all my folders and the pics aren't there. Emailed him and asked about the pics. Guess it's too late now anyway. Also, got an email saying it was shipped EMS, then another email saying mailed UPS. Maybe UPS farms out some shipments to EMS? I should probably relax.

Andrew almost always sends the tracking info first. It doesn't mean that he has shipped yet. I'll bet you that your QC pics will be coming soon!

Yep, and out of 2 purchased, 100% of them the 1st Fedex number (the one in the QC picture) was different from the real one... Boh!

My personal opinion is that it's unreasonable for the TD to ask this.   As a newbie (which I really still am as well), asking this forum for help with QC pics is invaluable!   The experts in here can pick out problems in a heartbeat that I would never catch.   I say post them if you want........

• Like 1

Sometimes they ask this because we may be iper-critical looking at them and push a noob to ask for other pieces without a real reason.

These are reps, so you should compare them with the gen BEFORE to buy, in order to see if their unavoidable flaws are acceptable or not for you.

Once you've chosen your model the QC pics are needed for mainly 2 reasons:

1) to be sure that the watch is going to be sent to you is the model you wanted (and believe me this is important!)

2) to check for real problems like scratches / bad assembly etc

If a newbie doesn't follow this path and post here a QC pic then we can start pointing out that "oh, the second hand is shorter then the gen" / "oh, the font of the date wheel is a bit bolder then the gen" etc, and he is moved to refuse the watch.

All these checks should be done by him in advance, especially with sites like Andrew's one that shows QC example pics, and therefore drive the decision to purchase or not a specific model in advance.

And even in this way it's not always easy: Rolex DayDate II exists in a multitude of dials combinations, also changed during the years. The TAG Gran Carrera cal 36 that I'm expecting from SuperMirrors has black seconds hand while at TAG official site it is red (but then you go on chrono24 to compare and discover that it exists gen also with black hand version)...

I don't entirely agree with @GenTLe on this matter. I don't believe any veteran here will compare the QC pics to a gen. That has been done on review postings when a new model has been released.

We will typically point out issues or sloppy work that the factory or the maker that assembles them has made. I believe it's always smart and prudent to enlist assistance from a knowledgeable community such as this one.

It's also equally important for the buyer to know what they're buying so that they know what they're looking at.

Not so much on this forum, but you frequently get people replying saying that "XYZ" model from TD A.N.Other is better, or "those hands look nothing like gen" and whilst these comments aren't made with the intention of being directed at those particular QC pics, the noob doesn't know that and may take them that way.

It would be far better if said noob made a post before purchase saying they were thinking about buying so and so watch. Thats the time and place where they need the above kind of comments.