When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Next project, a Franken Yuki 3135. Am i mad?

netniet

I want to Franken a Yuki 3135 movement as my next project to improve the quality of the movement, and I am curious to see what is possible. I have seen examples in the last month and this triggered me to do something similar for my Franken Sub.

The list I came upon to of the gen parts that can be added are:

1.) Rolex winding pinion (3135-204) 
2.) Rolex sliding pinion (3135-205)
3.) Rolex winding stem (3135-201)
4.) Rolex main spring (3135-311) 
5.) Rolex Yoke for sliding pinion (3135-240) 
6.) Rolex setting wheels 2 pcs (3135-250) 
7.) Rolex date jumper part (3115-614) 
8.) Rolex mechanism cover (3135-268) 
9.) Rolex minute wheel (3135-260)
10.) Rolex cannon pinion (3135-270)
11.) Rolex hour wheel (3135-280)
12.) Rolex date disc (3135-16200)
13.) Rolex Automatic device module (3135-145)
14.) Rolex winding bridge (3135-130)

Maybe there can be added more gen parts, but I don't want to make it to expensive.
The last two parts can be added to the movement, but I don't see them improving the movement in any way, I guess they would let the movement look more like a gen movement then imrove it. And they cost an extra $700.

What do you guys think? Could this be a fun project, or should I go for a gen movement? Main goal for me is to learn more about movements, and to see what I can do myself.

I think your research has already taught you alot about movements.  However, this hobby makes no economic sense at times.  I say go for it and enjoy the ups and downs of this project.  Anyone can go to an AD and buy a gen.  The next question is, in what case would you be putting the finished cal 3135?  TC?  ST?

Projects such as this rarely turn out very well. The Yuki '3135' is not too hot to begin with and to throw good $$ and good parts at one is not a real good idea imho. I do not like to discourage anyone with their sights set on a special project but since I have not read many good comments on the 3135 clones, I have a low opinion of them.

Add up the cost of the Yuki '3135', all the genuine parts, the case, dial etc, plus any labor cost involved and see how much it turns out to be.

Probably not much less than a genuine AK, DJ or OPD. I bought an all genuine black dial 14010M AK with 13 link oyster a while back for $1275.

I would always go with a genuine Eta 28xx in a rolex project because of cost and reliability. A few steps up would be a Frankenstein with high grade case and dial with a genuine movement in a vintage project.

For a modern submariner I would go with TC and be on the lookout for a fresh genuine Eta to go in it later.

A carefully assembled project watch with a genuine Eta or rolex movement is a 20 year watch.

A mix of Yuki '3135' and genuine parts might turn out to be a one weekend a month watch.  :pimp:

Other than the sheer fun of working on a movement, unless you are replacing the pillar & rotor, I cannot see any real benefit to be gained. The result will still look like a non-gen movement & its function will be a mystery, at best. If you want to upgrade a rep movement, just swap it for a gen movement.

Thanks guys, for me this is all about the fun to work on a movement. I want to disassemble it, clean it, put it back together and upgrade some parts with gen parts. And when its finished I want to put it in my Franken Sub, which I will never sell anyway.

Don't know if I am going to add all the listed parts, but I know for sure this is going to be fun. But first I am busy collecting good quality tools to do the job.

In the meanwhile I can keep working on another project together with my younger brother.

post-51669-0-21929900-1404933832_thumb.j

post-51669-0-80679000-1404933842_thumb.j

I have to agree with most of the folks who posted above. It is probably a project that you end up spending a lot of money and time trying to make work, and if it is doable, what do you have? And expensive "mystery" movement as Freddy says.

You say that this is a watch that you will never sell. That's fine now, but how many watches do you see on the sales forums that were the sellers "grail" watch? I can tell you, lots and lots. Many of them started out as lifetime keepers, but over time, tastes change, economic circumstances change and over time, other watches come along that are "must have".

Unless you have plenty of money, and can afford to keep every watch you buy or build, you have to sell one to buy another one. I know this from experience, I have watches in my watch boxes that have not been on my wrist for a year or more. Others that I wear a time or two and then they go back into the box for months. Right now, I can afford to keep them, but at some point in time, I may need to sell, or just decide that I need to get rid of the ones that never get worn. If and when that time comes, it's nice to know that in most cases, I can sell them for close to or more than I have in them. If you stay within a reasonable range, costwise, you can recoup your costs, but if you don't you will have to take a real beating on the sale price to get a sale. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of contemporary Rolex watches out there, that's why if you look hard and shop wisely, you can still pick up a good genuine 16610 for 3500-4500 USD. A franken 16610, no matter how many genuine parts, is still a franken and it will never sell for anything close to what a genuine brings. That's the reason that with watches like the newer Rolex watches, you have to be very careful with build costs, and spending a lot on a genuine movement or even one like you are building runs the build cost way up and it's money you will not get back. Most folks are a lot more interested in a genuine dial, insert, crystal, crown, etc.than the movement. That's just my 2 cents!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have three modded YUKI 3135 with these specs:

• GEN Rolex keyless (setting lever #220; jumper for setting lever #230; yoke for sliding pinion #240; yoke for setting wheel #266; cover mechanism mounted #268; setting wheels 2pcs #250; sliding pinion #205; winding pinion #204)

• GEN Rolex mainspring

One is in my franken Deep Sea and one in my franken Sub-C. I have one spare. Might use it someday. But all I can say: damn reliable now.