When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The question

lilypad

Hi Guys,

So here's something that most people are wondering, but not so many really give an honest answer to.

What do you say when people ask:

"Is it a fake?"

Haha just recently when someone asked if my AP ROO Panda (that I just sold) was real, I just replied with "No, no, look at it, ofcourse it's fake...." with a big portion of sarcasm. No one really knew if it was real or not.

Funny stuff. :)

I've never been asked if my watch was fake, I have the lifestyle to pull of whatever I wear and I guess that's the key, if you are a student driving a Camry and wearing a 20k watch it may not make sense.. I was watching the World Cup the other day when a player was cramping, 2 medics came to his aid, one of which was wearing an ap offshore. I started to think, is that real? Can his salary possibly be enough to afford him a 20k watch? I wouldn't have asked myself that if it was a rolex or something a little more modest. I've only seen 5-6 guys wearing ap offshores in the past few years, and they all looked like they could easily afford them.

If it's a friend I bore them about rep/Franken/gen watches, the definitions and the subtleties which I'm fascinated by, because they are friends they tolerate me and politely wait for me to stop talking!

I've never had anyone else ask me. If it was someone who seemed genuinely curious I may well talk to them in the same way as a friend, maybe even refer them to one of the sites. If someone asked in a confrontational way I would not be polite, whether I was wearing a gen or a rep makes no difference.

I only wear reps that are believeable for me, Rolex and Panerai, stainless steel, a nice strap too I think makes a massive difference. I was recently looking in the window of a panerai ad and mine looked more real than all of them due to my lovely handmade strap! I saw a young lad wearing a full gold rolex datejust 2 yesterday, one glance and I thought GTFO!

Once you cross the 35/40yr old line and dress/act have a compatible lifestyle nobody looks twice (except maybe REP owners). 

Over 60, you can be wearing black socks w/sandels, bermuda shorts and a Hanes T-Shirt wearing a $$$,$$$ Patek Phillpe and no one would notice rep/gen or otherwise...