When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen vs BP Glidelock Clasp

dbane883

Not that anyone really cares, but I thought I'd provide a quick comparison of the BP SubC glidelock clasp and a gen clasp.

While it's no surprise to anyone that the gen is superior in every way, the rep clasp is not horrible in some respects.  I expected much worse.  

Unless otherwise stated, gen will alway be on the left.

First, from the outside, the BP (on the right) is just barely passable to the layman.   Apologize for the protective stickers on the Gen subC, but it's a "safe" queen at the moment :).

IMG_3943_zps5b49fa3d.jpg

Upon closer inspection of the fliplock, you can see the obvious tells.  Gen:

The gen fliplock has a beautifully rounded tapered coronet that is slightly cantilevered to extend slightly over the scalloped depression, .  

IMG_3944_zps31629e20.jpg

In comparison, the BP has a rather awkward coronet and little to no overlap.  Also note the mismatched gaps on either side of the fliplock.  The scalloped depression is also a shallower and than gen:

IMG_3945_zps7935b6c0.jpg

Once open, the deficiencies of the BP clasp are glaring..embarassingly so.  The locking hook on the BP is rather wide, the sheen of the emblem background is way off.  BP is matte/flat where as the gen has a beautiful sparkly lustre:

IMG_3933_zpsaa116d99.jpg

The gen has deeply engraved emblems and dark grey in colour.  Nice contrast to the powdered shimmery background.

IMG_3935_zpsbb549143.jpg

The BP is terrible.   The fonts are off, the swirly emblem is too fat, and the muted engraving is horrid:

IMG_3934_zps9aab4818.jpg

The hinged locking mechanism on the gen is matte and not overly impressive:

IMG_3937_zpscf825231.jpg

The BP locking mechanism has a nice gen-like feel in the spring action and I was impressed.  Other than the larger hook, the part is dome very well IMO:

IMG_3936_zps4daf3efd.jpg

The other half of the clasp blade on the gen has the "STEELINOX" engravings and clasp code.  appears to be stamped.   It's not polished, which is somewhat surprising.  Very subtle pebbly surface:

IMG_3941_zps06068709.jpg

The blade on the BP however, is polished very nicely.  But, the engravings appear to be laser etched...not cool:

IMG_3942_zps50dc6c89.jpg

Now onto the glidelock teeth themselves, which, I will admit, is incredibly convenient:

IMG_3938_zps05f405f1.jpg

The differences are obvious.  The gen has a nice platinum sheen and nicely formed teeth that are rounded off beautifully:

IMG_3939_zpsee5215ce.jpg

The BP glidelock clasp looks like a part that was made in some chinese sweatshop that also makes knock off Hasbro toys by child workers (oh wait, it probably was).  Finish is raw stainless and has not been finished in anyway:

IMG_3940_zps384567dc.jpg

When closed, the clasp on the gen has a rather large gap between the first bracelet link and the fliplock.  Also, the clasp blades underneath also protrude a bit, which results in the clasp being a bit elevated from the wrist:

IMG_3946_zps395eb3f9.jpg

The gap on the BP is slightly smaller at the fliplock and the blades lie flatter.  I think in this respect, the BP is superior to the gen:

IMG_3947_zpsa2af387a.jpg

Likewise, on the other end of the clasp, the bracelet is nicely finished on the gen and the sharp corner at the top is slightly rounded. But you can see the gen blades stick out a bit:

IMG_3948_zps12dbffa7.jpg

The BP lies a bit flatter here, but the corners are relatively sharp. Could use some dremel action to avoid unneccesary damage to the skin of your significant other:

IMG_3949_zps0860e33a.jpg

From the side profile, you can clearly see that the gen is thinner than the BP.  The blades of the gen are nicely curved and if not for protruding a tad, it's a beautiful piece of engineering.

The BP is thicker, and it appears to me that the blades are not curved enough to match the top portion.  Definitely room for improvement, but not bad for the price.

a8248d1a-9ccd-4016-ae0f-67a67d59f329_zps

From what I gather, the Noob and/or J12 clasp is "better".  I will do a comparison of those if I ever come across any.

Now back to work!