When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss movement

Mark Whinn

Hi, the only do´s and dont´s would be to go with the cheaper Asian ETA instead, opinions are divided. Factories seem to fit Asian moves anyway in 90% of the watches as swiss are becoming rare. "Real" swiss moves often are older ones or recycled/dirty so might need a service.

On the bright side I think the "best" parts selection (dials/hands/lume/casesets/aligned pearls etc.) go into the more expensive "swiss" so it´s much easier to get a better overall watch.

Personally I avoid winding on any autos be it A7750 or any other to avoid wear and stress on the stem and winding mechanism, as there is no need for it, they start running when I pick them up, but everybody handles this differently. Nice pick, it´s a sturdy watch.

I doubt that your "ETA" is a real 100% ETA and if it is, more than likely it is and old movement taken out of another watch. I would not worry too much about winding and setting the ETA 2824/2836 movements, they are pretty bombproof, unlike the 7750 movements. I would factor in a service if the watch was going to be a keeper.

Whomever you take it in to service will be able to tell!!  This sounds like one of those modified movements that are supposed to superficially like a Rolex movement, but only to those who have never seen a rolex movement. There is no interchangeability between ETA and Rolex movement parts.

I'm beginning to lean towards what a member said a few weeks back, buy the watch with the cheapest movement available and when the movement craps out, replace it with an ETA or a good ETA clone like  a Seagull.. Contrary to what these guys are telling you (Dealers) you ain't getting 100% pure as driven snow new ETA movements. There were a couple of really good threads on RWG.bz about some of the shenanigans that are going on with movements.
Here are a couple of links http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=79561&hl=&fromsearch=1
http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=79847&st=0&p=1306467&hl=+eta%20+clone%20+swiss&fromsearch=1&#entry1306467

I'm beginning to lean towards what a member said a few weeks back, buy the watch with the cheapest movement available and when the movement craps out, replace it with an ETA or a good ETA clone like  a Seagull.. 

There's just some problems in this: the hands will not fit, you must change the stem in the crown, the movement spacers will be different etc... So it's not an easy task at all...

Good luck on the purchase. Last one I received was an eta clone even though it was sold as "Swiss eta". My watch smith verified it as a clone and I sent pictures to the seller but they still claim it's Swiss...lots of threads about this on all the forums. However it is running good so we are going to use it....for now:). We will see if she holds up.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.