When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the ultimate rep?

positivitony

So this will probably end up being a controversial topic, but somebody's gotta ask... If you could only choose one rep, and one only, which rep is the be-all end-all of reps? The one that's either a dead match to the gen, or if not, SO close that nobody would ever be able to tell. (with or without mods)

It doesn't matter if the gen is unobtainable either, in your opinion, which rep out of every single rep you've seen/owned could stand up to scrutiny from even the most skilled set of eyes?

I think the most convincing rep is the one you wear most confidently to be honest. If you had a $7,000+ Watch on your wrist would you be proud or embarrassed? I'd be proud so would act accordingly and not hide it but also not rub people's noses in it. Most people won't know or care but if you are trying to impress then wear it with pride without getting in faces and it will be gen.

• Like 1

i,m with Dusk , the best rep is the 1 that you enjoy most at the time.a rep will never have the same appeal as paying lots of money for a gen as you know yourself that you bought it cheep and it will always be with you that its a rep. You can spend $1000,s putting gen parts on it but at the end of the day its still a rep watch. If you want total satisfaction  reps will never satisfy you IMO

IMHO unless you have a super franken that you can completely utilize just as a gen i.e. never worry about that "rep" feeling because you can wear it in the shower, rain, diving, washing dishes etc.. Then I think you guys hit the nail on the head, if it's a typical rep, but I know there are awesome amazing builds on here that come pretty darn close to the real thing which is why we're all here, the passion and appreciation for great horology

Got it: I found his blog. If I got it right he is a rep builder / modder with a high level - low production pieces, and his nice products are not identical to gen ones, correct? 

In which part of the world is he located and, if you know, how his products are in comparison to good ones like the last Noob version?

Tnx!

So, to answer op´s question we seem to have a winner in the below $600 range with 8-10 weeks waiting time.

Hands on TC´s products are better assembled and better looking, the probability of getting a bad one is very low (unlike Noob). The TC dial quality standard is fantastic and gen-like, the date wheel overlay as well, the bracelet is assembled in a totally different way etc. He only builds the classic 16610 model with all engravings removed (rehaut and between lugbars). It´s the details and the caseset that make it so good - specially if put side by side. The best about the TC (apart the dial) is that the case is thinner and sits lower on the wrist - looks and feels better.

see how TC´s (the one on the left) bezelring sits flush to the caseset - unlike the 2-3 mm distance on all other ro-reps

TCCRvsSeadweller_1328.jpg

There are some pretty good Reps out there but for the most part does it matter? I can wear my 116610 Submariner next to someone wearing a 16610 or even a gen 116610 and 95/100 of them would not be able to spot that mine was a rep. Were I to swear up and down that mine was genuine, any differences they were able to spot would likely just make them wonder if theirs was a replica, and this is an out of the box, goodish Rep, not even a super rep.

Someone mentioned PAM's, if somebody can spot your 111 as a fake while its on your wrist or in their hands then they are either a member of this forum or they personally designed the watch for Panerai.

If you show the average person your 21j TAG Heuer Carrera with non functioning chrono they won't know it's a rep. I know because I showed my boss an early rep that I had purchased and he said, how can you tell that it's a fake? are you sure it's fake?

To answer tha OP's actual question though, in my experience, my PAM 111 is the ultimate rep that I own and I own it because I think it might be the ultimate rep. It's level of accuracy to brand recognition/pervasiveness ratio is through the roof. No one where I am from has ever even seen a Panerai in person so for them it's 100% gen.

" No one where I am from has ever even seen a Panerai in person so for them it's 100% gen."

The only Pam I have ever seen on the wrist in person is on mine LOL and I go to NYC couple of times a week.

That's a bit odd to me. I live in NY, and other than a friend owning a 111, i have seen about 4 on people's wrists in the past month.

" No one where I am from has ever even seen a Panerai in person so for them it's 100% gen."

The only Pam I have ever seen on the wrist in person is on mine LOL and I go to NYC couple of times a week.

That's a bit odd to me. I live in NY, and other than a friend owning a 111, i have seen about 4 on people's wrists in the past month.

I'm in Boston most weeks and also have never seen one on anybody I've encountered.   My Bronzo gets a lot of attention though.   VERY few people seem to be aware of Panerai as a luxo brand, however.

I confirm, here in Italy (where the Panerai Company is supposed to be) I've never ever seen them around. As like for U-Boat...