When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

A little venting

droptopman

Hi All,

Thanks for being here, love the forum and the hobby.

I posted some of this previously, not really complaining here, more just venting and providing information to the forum that may be useful to someone. I purchased a donor watch from one of our TD's back in May for a Franken 16750 build. My first real build since joining the forum. I have been sourcing information and parts since I joined the forum back in December as this is one of my grail pieces. Anyone that has gone down this road knows it takes a lot of time, research, $ and patience. The watch was the "1:1" 1675 with upgraded "Swiss" movement ($333 model). Several emails back and forth between me and the TD about the movements as when I ordered this was about the time all the treads about wrong and/or broken movements were being discussed. Assured it would be a Swiss ETA several times as I read all the posts and was concerned it would be a clone movement. Point being I would have ordered the stock movement (cheaper) and sourced my own ETA. Was assured again it was ETA several times...Of course when it arrived and was opened up, it is a clone. Even after verifying with well know WS and sending pictures, the TD and factory still claim it's an gen ETA. No need to beat the story anymore. At this point anyone who spends a little time reading here will know that it is unlikely to get a gen ETA in a rep these days...

So that gets me to today and why I am posting this. Case was sent to France to Rolex Addict for mods. RA informs me that the case is a 1680 sub case not a 1675....Now I am a little frustrated. The movement issue I somewhat expected based on information on the forums, but the wrong case. C'MON man.

RA says it is not big deal as the mods are the same and the case is the same but it is engraved 1680. So if I want to wear it on a NATO I will need to remove the 1680 and have the correct engraving put on. Just more time and expense. I know this may seem trivial, it just gets me thinking how often does this happen? And for new people or people who do not send their watches to a WS to be checked.....How often are the parts different than what was sold. I guess the message here is to check you pieces carefully or have a good WS check them to ensure you get what you paid for and wanted.

OK done whining...thanks for listening and providing a place to discuss.

So on the positive note, case on it's way back to USA and that means this time piece will be on my wrist sometime soon. This has definitely been a test of patience, but I did learn a lot during this process and want to thank several members for helping this NOOB out.

Funny story. I ordered a 2015 S5 Audi about the same time I bought the donor watch. I kept telling Matt that the car would be ordered, produced and delivered before the watch was on my wrist. It is going to be close. Car arrive at port of Seattle yesterday so couple of weeks to process and get to the dealer, then their processing, then go take delivery. Going to be close as to what piece is ready first. Leave it to the German's to build a whole car before I can build a fraken rep watch...

Mark

Sorry to hear it. That's why I stopped buying from the dealers directly. The M2M is a great place to buy and you can get stuff already modded. It may take a little longer to wait for the exact watch you want but at least you get hi-res pics and as many as the seller can provide!

• Like 1

Yes I made a pledge to not buy from dealers but patience ran out looking for a case. Of course right after I bought it a used one came up for sale.....

RA thinned the case. Says it looks gen. Just have to wait and see.

Stock bezel assy was not good so Matt found one that fit the gen crystal and insert perfectly and rotates correctly. I will post up pics and details once she is finished.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.