When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Member MSM1 for servicing/repairs of watches in the UK (London based)

astonjenks

Hi guys. The guy that started this discussion a couple of days ago has been banned on the other forum solely for causing similar hysteria... He's never even had a watch with us?! We haven't taken on any work on reps nor any money for over 6 months, hence I don't reply when asked to do work via PM (apologies for not replying guys). The comparison between me and this guy that stole £25k watches is harsh, I've purely been getting through problem watches and we're now down to what has to be estimated as a value of approx. £500. We should be all done within two weeks. Yes I now recommend Micky when asked. All the best guys

Edited by msm1

Alan, I wasn't comparing you to MD2020, just that the situation seemed to be similar. I also said that you were communicating, which in both the case of MD2020 and in some cases Rex with completely cut off.

I'm sure that you and your dad found that working on reps was a completely different breed of cats to working on gens. With gen movements, unless the movement is completely worn out, it's mostly a matter of changing out parts that are worn out or damaged to get the movement running like new. Completely different with reps. Some of these rep movements are poorly designed, poorly made, and no matter how much knowledge and skills you possess, it's very difficult to make them work, and even if you get it running perfectly, that is no guarantee that it will hold up. Same with modding, if you change crystals, inserts, crown,tubes, hands etc. on gen watches, it's pretty much a simple parts swap. On the other hand, modding a rep is fraught with all sorts of problems. I have said many times to guys embarking on a modding project, "just because it looks like it will fit, there's no guarantee that it will". Lots of parts are "almost" right, but almost won't work with watches. Another problem is unrealistic expectations by all of us who fool around with rep watches. We want our watch to be 99.99% accurate to a genuine which is unrealistic to expect. Many of the folks who send watches in for repair and or modding want their watches to be "just like the genuine" but are not happy when they find out what it's going to cost and their are no guarantees of long term performance. Rob (Zigmeister) told me that he could do a complete overhaul of a gen Rolex movement in about half the time as an overhaul on a a7750 movement and he could charge twice as much and the owner was thrilled to death, Pretty easy to figure out why there are so few folks who work on reps.

Not true, all work done... even the mods told me to ignore you as there has never been a question about the quality of the work. I'm not getting into this with you on this forum too. I knew you would come over here and do this. I had approx. £30k value on my possession when we decided to finish up on reps and complete what we had. It was at this point that one guy like you who didn't even have 'a dog in the race' found it fun to stuff like above. We've gotten through them slowly. That figure is now down to approx. £500. and will be £150 in a couple of days. Then £0 in 9 days. I find this form of entertainment that you're so fond of to be anything but. Please stop cyber bullying me, I have a family and job and don't have time for this and the drama that you bring. Thanks, Al

The only fact, of which you are entirely over sensationalising, is that I admit entirely that I've often been overly optimistic regarding time frames. I've had some good advice and learnt lots about managing expectations, time management and setting realistic time frames. If I say "your watch should be ready within two weeks" and it materialises that it needs a part especially on complicated movement splicing modifications etc then it takes longer and I'm the messenger. I didn't make any money from this, nor are we doing any work at all rep or gen (he'll just help his mates out albeit sparsely) My father is elderly and did this for fun upon his retirement. I don't think anyone cares about your strange fascination with attempting to create hysteria me. Call me a poor communicator, bad time expectation manager, bad project manager, or even a c*** (self edited) if you like. But there is constant underlying insinuation to the tone of your messages pertaining to thievery what have you. I don't want sympathy just want to be left to continue to get the remaining few watches done. Then I'll just go back to enjoying this forum. I sent you a friendly message but sobeit.

Erock whatever happened at RG and I can check with my counterparts there but taking what you say at face value I have one problem with it. If you've been around awhile you'd know ain't nothing getting done in the rep world/repairs in two weeks period. :bangin:

You are now in my house so keep that in mind if you do reply. :pimp:

For the sake of balance: MSM1, whilst slow to respond, has to date, always communicated with me, albeit slowly.

Personally, I'll not send him any more work, not because I believe that he is a thief or lier, but because I can't stand the anxious wait. He has remained civil throughout this whole debacle.

Al, if you're reading this, I'm not defending you, just giving an honest opinion of the situation. Now, about my Rubberclad???

The only fact, of which you are entirely over sensationalising, is that I admit entirely that I've often been overly optimistic regarding time frames. I've had some good advice and learnt lots about managing expectations, time management and setting realistic time frames. If I say "your watch should be ready within two weeks" and it materialises that it needs a part especially on complicated movement splicing modifications etc then it takes longer and I'm the messenger. I didn't make any money from this, nor are we doing any work at all rep or gen (he'll just help his mates out albeit sparsely) My father is elderly and did this for fun upon his retirement. I don't think anyone cares about your strange fascination with attempting to create hysteria me. Call me a poor communicator, bad time expectation manager, bad project manager, or even a c*** (self edited) if you like. But there is constant underlying insinuation to the tone of your messages pertaining to thievery what have you. I don't want sympathy just want to be left to continue to get the remaining few watches done. Then I'll just go back to enjoying this forum. I sent you a friendly message but sobeit.

You are so full of SH!T the toilet is jealous...How about pi$$ing right off.

For the sake of balance: MSM1, whilst slow to respond, has to date, always communicated with me, albeit slowly.

Personally, I'll not send him any more work, not because I believe that he is a thief or lier, but because I can't stand the anxious wait. He has remained civil throughout this whole debacle.

Al, if you're reading this, I'm not defending you, just giving an honest opinion of the situation. Now, about my Rubberclad???

You're absolutely right about everything here, the balance is spot on. I entirely understand and agree that the wait was too long. As you know, yours is the watch of which I was referring to above, as the one that will be our final watch in our possession. Well, we're very almost finished going through the last handful of watches and I look forward to completion. Thanks for your patience.

• 2 weeks later...

Al you still owe me an email and my two friends watches, I am very dissapointed after personally meeting you and recomending you!

AJ

+1

Al has responded of sorts. My watch is supposedly on it way to SSTEEL, so I'll reserve judgement for when it arrives. However it would do no harm for Al to do the right thing and refund people who have been messed around. He seems to be sat on the fence as to whether to be a good guy or to go full rouge. :(

Guys , this is another bad ending to a watchsmith/modder who got over his head. the only positive thing about this is it may have somewhat of a happy ending. Even if your watch isn't repaired, if you get it back, that's good. You can send it to someone else even if it ends up costing you more money. The other two situations that occurred before this recently, the debacle with MD2020, who absconded with over 20 K worth of watches and parts and Rex over on RG who still has a fair number of watches and isn't sending them back either. Be happy if you get your watch back, because there are a bunch of us out here who lost a pile on those two thieves.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am appreciate of what you do M. I am also grateful that guys like you exist for our benefit.

Repairing and fixing watches that came from the factory is one thing: With those, you at least have a laundry list of 95% things that could go wrong.

Undoing someone else's blunders takes a lot more skills and knowledge, because a lot more could go wrong, depending on the skills(or in this case, the lack of it) of the "watchsmith" who "did the work" before you. Undoing the damage, and then fixing the original problems is starting from negative ground.

kernow's watch does look mangled and I hope that it gets fixed good. 

Well I have to say that I am incredibly dissapointed by Al's behaviour as I was one of the first to meet him an duse him. He still owes a friend of mine his watch back after three months after a repair that went out running + 5 mins a day and here we are two/three months later and still no watch, totally unacceptable Al you should be ashamed of the way you have and are treating regular guys here.

AJ