When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Real ETA 2824 clone?

HaydenM

Check this thread out:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/how-do-seagull-hangzhou-compare-eta-depth-look-216945.html

A serviced clone is thought to be comparable to a base model ETA, IMHO it would be silly to swap one clone out for another clone unless there was no way to get the first one up and working. In your case since you don't seem able to find a watch guy to work on it for you then it might be reasonable to get a new movement to swap out and tinker with the first. If you get it to work then you'll have two movements one could be sold. If I were in your shoes I'd tinker with the watch after you get your tools, and if you screw it up let it be a lesson on how deleicate movements are then get a second movement and drop it in and be done with it.

What tools would be recommended to take the movement out and replace it? I know I'll need a set of screwdrivers obviously but I'm just wondering if I'd need anything to remove the hands (and replace them after) as well as the watch face. 

Thanks again to everybody :)

If this is the BB Tudor rep, I have had a few in for repair due to the movements stopping, and they all turned out to be the seconds hand touching the underside of the crystal.

Thanks for confirming this, i have two that are exhibiting the same behavior and i suspected that the seconds hand was touching the crystal at around 1-2 o clock. Now I know its an easy fix!

What tools would be recommended to take the movement out and replace it? I know I'll need a set of screwdrivers obviously but I'm just wondering if I'd need anything to remove the hands (and replace them after) as well as the watch face.

Screwdrivers, latex (with no talco) gloves or finger covers, dial protector, hands remover, pliers (good sharp ones), duct tape (or case opener).

Go with the tool set from WatchBitz, decent quality and at a good price. There are better tools out there but not all together and not at that price. If there was one tool in that kit that I'd replace would be the case back opener, it works and on many types of case backs, but it slips easy and would prefer it if it had three contact points instead of three.

seagul makes decent enough clones, they are also a watch producer. as of 2013 a watchsmith review of the seagul vs the eta, the eta still come out on top for quality

i have the same BB watch and movement as you mine has been fine for a couple weeks now, running +6/day

but i will agree the BB rep does have some QC issues, mostly on the dial, case is solid, my movement hand winds like butter.

alternative swiss movement

sellita sw200

and there is one more swiss supplier lesser known who reps the eta line i can not recall their name at this time

TOOLS:

screw driver set (or just a 1.20mm does most jobs) -removes the stem, movement tab screws

soft watch pad cushion, the black coaster like kind, -for de-casing the movement and dial from the case easily

spring bar tool -removes the bracelet gives you easier access to the case

caseback opener (oyster tool or LG open all) -self explan

finger cots or if you decide on gloves id avoid ones with the talcum powder inside -cleanliness is next to godliness

movement holder, makes removing hands and disassembly more secure

presto hands remover OR the double lifter kind

you could buy a dial protector or use a small plastic baggy

rodico -for picking up small parts, cleaning off fingerprints, holding parts

air blower bulb -for dusting off the dial and cleaning out the case before recasing

nylon hands press (plunger kind) -for reinstalling the hands properly

tweezers #4 or #5 - for grabbing pieces and reseating small screws

toothpicks -for moving pieces around with out damaging the finish or surface (aligning hands on the pinions)

loupe 5-10x or a magnifying glass -for final inspection before closing up the case, you can find debris before it is sealed inside, for inspecting a piece that may not be fitting back properly

silicone grease -once you open the case, grease that caseback gasket and crown gasket

i own all these tools and have used all these tools several times for exactly what youre looking to do, theyre worth having if you plan on buying more watches and diy stuff

anything else i am missing here?

Thanks guys, I've just ordered the tool kit from watchbitz which will hopefully be here soon. The movement is just being inconsistent for me more than anything. It is often working well and winding well but then will suddenly stop (as has happened literally as I have been writing this message). This makes it unwearable for me as as much as I love a watch to look at it must tell me the correct time. One also looks like a bit of a [censored] with a watch that tells the wrong time, or isn't moving :p

So once my toolkit has arrived I think I will open it up and ensure that the second hand is in fact positioned correctly as the problem has been identified by others. If the watch is still problematic after that I will look at another movement (though it is an expense I would prefer not to have).

So I have essentially pulled it apart and then put it all back together but not I'm a little stuck as the stem is not securing back to the movement.

It will wind the movement but if I pull it any further out it simply comes out. Am I doing something wrong or have I broken something? Haha

For a replacement movement I would go with the TC 2824, they're about $125 plus P&P.

I've got four, one in my Omega PO 45.5, two in two Rolex reps and the other is a spare. They work like butter and are better than the asian movements.

So I have essentially pulled it apart and then put it all back together but not I'm a little stuck as the stem is not securing back to the movement.

It will wind the movement but if I pull it any further out it simply comes out. Am I doing something wrong or have I broken something? Haha

Congrats on the toolset!

Also, congrats on the courage to open the watch!

Lastly, congrats on fouling up the keyless works!

It is a simple repair however will require the further removal of the dial and hands to get to the other side of the movement. There are several tutorials out there and my favorite come from Cybee on the other RWG.

Part 1:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=4295

Part 2:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=4315

I expected it would be the keyless works just from hearing about it so much around here. Time to dive back into the watch soon then. Thanks you all for the continuing information. It's really valuable, but I fear will definitely be making me start a project after I (hopefully) fix this watch.

20140813_zpse385927d.jpg

Update: I have fixed my first keyless works (after screwing up my first keyless works. Is there any advice on correctly reattaching the seconds have as I am having a bit of trouble doing so.

Thank you all :)

P.s. what is the best thing to do if one is clumsy enough to have sheered the feet off of a dial?

Edited by HaydenM

Okay, an update to the epic quest of never ending failure (and thankfully a little bit of learning) I have gotten the dial connected to the movement again, I positioned the hour and minute hands and then as I tried to set the second hand again (which I was having problems with at an earlier stage) I looked at it under the loupe and I think in my inexperienced hands I have damaged the point in which the seconds hand attaches to the movement (Seconds wheel? I think it's called). I have ordered a replacement for this part but it will take a while to arrive. I think this will be a bit of a drawn out project, but at the very least I am learning what to do and putting together a set of tools that will allow me to undertake my next project (which will hopefully be entered into soon).

Hayden, I'm going through the same experience :)

Isn't it amazing? And also a great patience exercise :)

It's a nice release from university study to be perfectly honest. I like knowing how things work and a complex mechanism like this is even more fun. I just seem to be damaging more than I fix :p

• Like 1