When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how to fit a new crown

coffindodger

Open the case back, unscrew the crown and depress the little button on the movement plate by the stem with a 1.2mm screwdriver and pull the stem and crown out. People do this from different positions, winding or time setting, I've just found as long as you don't depress the release  button too much and mess up the keyless, you'll be ok.

With a pair of pliers, hold the stem tightly and unscrew the crown. Then screw the new crown on the stem to the same place where the old crown was screwed into and you're ready to put it back in the movement and away you go.

Def loctite the stem once you make sure it's the right length. It might take a couple of tries to get it perfect.

Be very careful with the stem release button. Don't use a pointed object to push the button. You're likely to push it in too far.

As suggested, use a flat head screwdriver and press down parallel to the movement and not at a pointy angle.

If this is your first time, you may wanna practice on a cheapie if you have one. Removing the stem is tricky even for people who have done it before.

As for putting the stem back in, I always insert while slowly turning and it locks in place.

Good luck. I hope I don't see a how to fix keyless post from ya.

Open the case back, unscrew the crown and depress the little button on the movement plate by the stem with a 1.2mm screwdriver and pull the stem and crown out. People do this from different positions, winding or time setting, I've just found as long as you don't depress the release  button too much and mess up the keyless, you'll be ok.

With a pair of pliers, hold the stem tightly and unscrew the crown. Then screw the new crown on the stem to the same place where the old crown was screwed into and you're ready to put it back in the movement and away you go.

It's a better idea to hold the stem with a pin vice rather than pliers. 

Be very careful pressing that button down. It's pretty easy to mess up the keyless, I made that mistake once. I've since had luck the other times removing stems, but with my newest watch, also a TC, I had a watch smith replace my crown for me.

I wanted to fit a new crown on my TC because the crown slips when i try to wind the watch up. Will fitting this new crown stop this slipping?

TC told me to send it back to him for a new crown and tube set but it will take another 2 months to get it back> Thats after I just waited 58 days to get the bloody thing  :wounded1:

I wanted to fit a new crown on my TC because the crown slips when i try to wind the watch up. Will fitting this new crown stop this slipping?

TC told me to send it back to him for a new crown and tube set but it will take another 2 months to get it back> Thats after I just waited 58 days to get the bloody thing :wounded1:

Yes, a new crown will stop your problem. Problem was caused of a bad batch of TC's crowns. They are fine know.

well done it after making a case opener out of masking tape lol. Took the back off and set about changing the crown reading all the great advice all you guys gave me. Took me about 15 mins being careful and now its done.

My TC V6 Submariner

now wearing her gen insert and gen crown

now whats nextl got the bug now  :)

Thanks guys

photo_zps88620708.jpg