When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jeez 1680 is hard to find

Ezio

MenEx...

Your case looks a lot like my unmodified 5513 MBK case (same case as MBK 1680) except for the crown guards and they are very close. After drilling the lug holes out to 1.3mm the holes are not quite as close to the tops of the lugs as yours but that makes no difference as there is still plenty of metal around the holes.

It looks very good!

I did not take time to alter the MBK crown guards and will wait until later or let it go. They stick out a little bit too far but I can live with it. What was important to me was the fit and finish and it is real good. I used a 1570 with date works removed and the calendar spacer still in place with Yuki 5512 dial, ST bezel assembly, GS PA 462 66 crystal, TC tube/crown, and DW case back (better letters).

Since the PT case takes a genspec crystal, all that is needed is a genspec bezel assembly and a good insert to make a first class case.

For the difference in price they are a real bargain.

Here is my 1680. MBW case, gen dial, insert and pearl, crown, crystal on a gen 93150 with 580 end links. 2846 movement. Mymanmatt installed the dial for me a year or so back. It still has some minor DW issues, but much better than before. I bought the watch several years ago from a young fellow in Florida who was trying to raise funds for Dental school, I believe I paid about 350 USD for it, pretty much stock. Ziggy did the original work, relumed the hands and the old MBW dial, installed the crown, insert and the 2846 movement. Like most of us, I have way too much in it, but it's not going anywhere, so that's not a real problem.

udanygy2.jpg

egy5esa3.jpg

Here is my 1680. MBW case, gen dial, insert and pearl, crown, crystal on a gen 93150 with 580 end links. 2846 movement. Mymanmatt installed the dial for me a year or so back. It still has some minor DW issues, but much better than before. I bought the watch several years ago from a young fellow in Florida who was trying to raise funds for Dental school, I believe I paid about 350 USD for it, pretty much stock. The Zigmeister did the original work, relumed the hands and the old MBW dial, installed the crown, insert and the 2846 movement. Like most of us, I have way too much in it, but it's not going anywhere, so that's not a real problem.

udanygy2.jpg

egy5esa3.jpg

This is very nice. And heck, I realize we have waaay to much $ invested in these reps but like I tell my wife, in a way I appreciate them more than my gens because of what goes into them! Lots of trial and error, blood, sweat, tears and finally, joy! Then start on the next one!

I should never have made this topic you guys showing me all of these Nice pieces making me want more

I just leave my adress send the watches and a Price and PP Info i pay everything you want hehe ;)

• Like 1

MenEx...

Your case looks a lot like my unmodified 5513 MBK case (same case as MBK 1680) except for the crown guards and they are very close. After drilling the lug holes out to 1.3mm the holes are not quite as close to the tops of the lugs as yours but that makes no difference as there is still plenty of metal around the holes.

It looks very good!

I did not take time to alter the MBK crown guards and will wait until later or let it go. They stick out a little bit too far but I can live with it. What was important to me was the fit and finish and it is real good. I used a 1570 with date works removed and the calendar spacer still in place with Yuki 5512 dial, ST bezel assembly, GS PA 462 66 crystal, TC tube/crown, and DW case back (better letters).

Since the PT case takes a genspec crystal, all that is needed is a genspec bezel assembly and a good insert to make a first class case.

For the difference in price they are a real bargain.

Thanks for the compliment, Automatico!  I wear mine daily and it just fits perfectly on my wrist.

I see you mentioned getting a genspec bezel assembly.  Who offers a good one and generally what would that run me for price?  With a genspec crystal and then this new bezel assembly, how easy would that be to install?

I have used ST and Clark bezel kits and they have worked Ok for me but it depends on the last few .00mm of the case neck od and crystal retainer bezel id. All my ST/Clark bezel kits have been very close to the same size. As far as I know, ST and Clark kits are exactly the same and both are matte finished and require a bit of polishing.

I used ST/Clark kits on my last two projects (5512 and 5513) only because they were already polished and ready to use. My 1680 MBK case came with a good bezel kit and I used it as is with an unknown brand aftmkt crystal.

MBK 5513 case neck od = 28.18mm

MBK 1680 case neck = 28.2mm

MBK bezel kit...

crystal retainer bezel = 35.45mm od,  30.15 id

rotating bezel = 35.35mm id where it snaps over the crystal retainer bezel and 39.6mm od

ST/Clark kit...

crystal retainer bezel = 35.48mm od,  30.2mm id

rotating bezel = 35.45mm where it snaps over the crystal retainer bezel and 39.5mm od

notes:

1  The crystal retainer bezel will usually expand a little bit when pressed down over the crystal depending on how tight it is. The ST/Clark kit I measured had been r/r a time or two and was a good fit on most case/crystal combos I tried and the rotating bezel was a good fit even when the measurements indicate it might be too loose on the inner bezel.

2  I may have to try 3 or 4 different crystals before getting the best fit and always use good quality aftmkt crystals on these projects. I do not waste genuine crystals on them.

3  Always measure the od of a crystal when it is pushed down over the case neck for comparison and it will usually be bigger down close to the case. If the top of the crystal is bigger than the id of the crystal retainer bezel it will not start evenly and may crack the crystal. This is why crystals are usually made smaller at the top.

ana8uzur.jpg

Here's mine, typical cartel purchased from Andrew at Trusty with a refurbished/reconditioned Swiss 2846 as claimed on the site, lot of work to be done to it that I can't wait to do but in the mean time it's one of my favorites

That's the best looking cgs on a cartel I've seen.

Mine looked like the new sub C crown guards. Short and wide.

Took quite a bit of dremel-ing to get them somewhat pointy.

If PT ever gets them back in stock, they will sell out FAST. So many people looking for one including me.

You could try out the ones intime sells. I'm kinda tempted to. They seem pretty nice. Tall cgs. Decent dial but I have no idea what gen parts it would take.

For now, I bought a cheapie cartel to try out modding. Having a lot of fun with it. :)

It's a pretty nice watch for a $100 bucks

That's the best looking cgs on a cartel I've seen.

Mine looked like the new sub C crown guards. Short and wide.

Took quite a bit of dremel-ing to get them somewhat pointy.

If PT ever gets them back in stock, they will sell out FAST. So many people looking for one including me.

You could try out the ones intime sells. I'm kinda tempted to. They seem pretty nice. Tall cgs. Decent dial but I have no idea what gen parts it would take.

For now, I bought a cheapie cartel to try out modding. Having a lot of fun with it. :)

It's a pretty nice watch for a $100 bucks

They're not terrible, but they're not great by no means can definitely use some slimming on the outer sides and squared off on the inside, it's just the ENORMOUS crown that kills me @_@ but I'll get around to it. I think once that's done it'll be a nice little watch

found some old pics of mine.

D0yO8Bz.jpg

the crown guards take a LOT of work. they start out pretty much looking like SubC crown guards. square and stubby.

cDf0qW4.jpg

YOdVG0B.jpg?1

xplQcEP.jpg?1

after a relume

rnWO8V8.jpg

i wasnt happy with the lume so i have a new dial and vintage lume on the way along with a atheya 702 crown and tube.i think the smaller crown will completely change the look.

its honestly not a bad watch for $118 + $35 for a Atheya crown and tube and + $10 bucks for lume

other than that, i just sprayed the dial with a matte varinsh bc the stock cartel dial looks kinda weird imo. its a brownish/black with bright yellow markers. looks way too new.

the high beat 21j is wrong but im honestly fairly impressed with this movement. date flips over nicely at midnight and doesnt do a slow change like the usual 21j.

all dates are well centered and the right fonts. the cyclop magnifies waaaay too big though. could use a gen spec plexi.

overall, im very happy with it. i wanted to give modding a try and since PT wasnt available, i just picked up a cheapie cartel.

Edited by Bc1221

you spend a lot of time with a dremel, sandpaper and polishing wheel.

a LOT. :lol:

basically, you sand the outside of the CGs. theres a lot of material there so you just sand it to a pointier finish and make the curve a little deeper.

it prob took me a hour or so but i was being extremely slow and careful. sand a little, check against pics. repeat.

i also took the tube out and sanded the inside of the CGs a little bit so it would appear a little deeper. i think once i get a smaller crown in there, itll look better.

turned out decent from where it started i think.

plus, i figured it gives it a "been polished for 40 years" look.

this is my practice watch. :lol: ill eventually get a nicer one if PT ever gets them back in stock.

those have much better CGs to work with.

didnt wanna jump in to the world of modding on a $300 watch.

really not bad for the price and ive had fun with it. 

Nanuq you Always show off Would you mind stop

My best regards from my Wallet ;)

Didnt know you had a 1680 show some more pictures mate you know you love to hear me drool ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Puretime just responded to an email and said that 

http://www.puretime-asia.com/product/vintage-white-submariner-1680/

and 

http://www.puretime-asia.com/product/vinatge-great-white-sea-dweller-1665/

are back in stock. (Those were the only ones I asked about so there may be more). Are either of these the correct case shape and etc. that we have been waiting on?

Puretime just responded to an email and said that

http://www.puretime-asia.com/product/vintage-white-submariner-1680/

and

http://www.puretime-asia.com/product/vinatge-great-white-sea-dweller-1665/

are back in stock. (Those were the only ones I asked about so there may be more). Are either of these the correct case shape and etc. that we have been waiting on?

Very nice!

I saw a post recently that PT went back to using the damn paper clip bezel construction. That kinda sucks but aside from that, those are the best available.

Might have to order one