When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The famous and unavoidable JEWEL MOD- but how do I explain this to my watchmaker?

Hello my beloved APers,

got my first AP and with it, the infamous problem with the sec@12 movement :(

So now I'm calling out to you guys to please enlighten me with a detailed description of what the Jewel Mod actually is.

I have no intimate knowledge of watch movements, but I do see an advantage here, and I have very good reasons to ask such an extensive question, so please bear with me:

My watch is at my local watchmaker, getting serviced soon. Since he is replica-friendly and is an AD for many swiss watchmaking brands like Breitling, Longines, Cartier, he (and his team of 5 watchmakers, i think) seems to be quite the professional.

Now the advantage that I see in this situation: "Why not try and ask him whether he can pull off a jewel mod?" I figured it neither would hurt nor would it cost anything to ask, plus it would be a great advantage to all of those that are thinking of doing the jewel mod or those still to encounter the sec@12 problem, to know that there is yet another watchmaker capable to do it.

Now to the problem: I have only a very vague and faint idea of what the problems with the sec@12 movement is, the most frequently used word being "!!!!!!!FRICTION!!!!!" to describe it. And something with "gears". -Yes, I'll glady take the smirks and grunts those of your reading this, because I myself am amused about how little I know about the watch i spent 500$+ for. :D

For me to be able to ask him, therefore, I would like to ask you if you guys could explain to me what, exactly, the problem is, and what, exactly, the jewel mod is and does.

For those of you patient enough to answer this question, I am very thankful :) And for those that are tired of seeing this topic AGAIN, I am very sorry!

I seriously doubt that a "standard" watchsmith (especially one that works on gens) will be able to mod your rep.

They works relying on spare parts to change, not on drilling plates etc... I may be wrong, but very few persons are able to do such kind of activity.

I seriously doubt that a "standard" watchsmith (especially one that works on gens) will be able to mod your rep.

They works relying on spare parts to change, not on drilling plates etc... I may be wrong, but very few persons are able to do such kind of activity.

True. But this is also Domi's "invention"....

If it is a watchmaker just ask him for a way to reduce the friction of the running seconds and transfer gears so that it has a stable amplitude. He knows what to do. You don't instruct your car mechanic on how to change the pistons in your engine do you?....

If it is a watchmaker just ask him for a way to reduce the friction of the running seconds and transfer gears so that it has a stable amplitude. He knows what to do. You don't instruct your car mechanic on how to change the pistons in your engine do you?....

No, I do not. But I do tell him to change the pistons in my engine. Just not how to. 

True. But this is also Domi's "invention"....

That explains a lot, thanks!

I forgot to mention that he makes his own watches too, upon request, and of course under extensive financial agreement.

Francisco did an extensive write up with pictures on some forum. Pretty sure it was repgeek. And yes a just because some guy is a watch Smith doesn't mean he can service reps. Servicing reps is a lot more complicated and requires creativity and skill. Our reps come from factory all dirty with fragile, brittle parts. To make them reliable and working takes some imagination.