When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Look Ma, new hands!

JoeyB

I take terrible pics, but the watch turned out so good I had to share. I replaced the hands on my 6204 to be as gen. The minute hand is 13mm from Helearou, and I made the hour hand longer to 9.5mm. Looking straight on both the minute hand and the second hand go right to the chapter ring (not past it.- bad angle in my pic).

I removed the silver plating using 400 grit sandpaper, then smoothing using 1500 grit. All in one direction - not back and forth, that bends hands. Judging from the pictures of old Subs, I think the 'gilt' hands were actually brass. That makes sense for a diver's watch. So brass they are. 

post-16926-0-48286800-1407806455_thumb.jpost-16926-0-98523700-1407806593_thumb.j

Very nice. Can you give more details on the hour and second hands, where they came from/how you made them please.

Both are pieced together, the second hand from 2 other 'regular' hands. The hour hand was made using a rep Rolex 'maxi' hand pieced to a miscellaneous ETA sized 'base'. Both finished by very gently sanding using 1500 grit paper.   

• Like 1