When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA / TC 2824 Reverse Gear Problem - Troubleshooting

tc670207

In the past couple of months, some members received their TC Sub V6 reported the movement does not hold power reserve normally.

I replaced the ETA part #1488 & part #1530 for the two members whom reported the issue to me. I thought by replacing the two ETA parts would solve the problem and case closed.

However, I received more reports on this issue from members, I know something must be wrong with the batch of movement.

In the mean time, I found the same problem happened in gen world. This man bought a brand new Oris, which is equipped with ETA 2824-2, encountered the same very reverse gear problem right after receiving:

I have read from time to time that members suspect that TC 2824 is a Chinese clone. And is far away form ETA quality. But in reality, ETA has it's fair share of issues from time to time too.

I got in touch with the TC 2824 movement maker in hopes the maker will help me to rectify the problem. Luckily the maker responded rather proactively. But I had to bring the whole batch that is left and pay the maker a visit.

The problem was indeed with ETA part #1488 and #1530. There was a faulty tiny spring inside #1488 and #1530 reverse gears that sneaked through the maker's quality control process and caused the problem.

It took the maker almost a month to recycle my batch as well as checking the other aspects of the movement just to make sure there is no other issue. The maker produced a revised and improved batch of #1488 & #1530 to use on my movements.

One of the technicians working for the movement maker also taught me a quick method to check for this issue during QC:

"Manual wind the movement, and leave it on a flat surface. Flick the stem, if the movement starts to rotate like crazy then the reverse gear is defective and vise versa."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOPcc6XxMz8

So, sorry for the delay to member who ordered TC Subs in the past few months.

In the past month, I ran this test on every single TC 2824 used in the built. I also tested the replacement batch. I am happy to report that all TC 2824s are functioning as it is designed to. The immediate actions taken by the TC 2824 maker to rectify this issue gave me strong confidence. They mean business. I am happy to report that we as community has overcame another hump.

On a side note, a brand new ETA 2824-2 standard grade is now US$235. Check out this eBay link. What does ETA 2824-2 Standard Grade Spec Grade stands for? Here's a great article on WUS - "ETA grades explained".

In plain English, it means when turned to the CH (dial up), and 6H (6 o'clock up) position, the "Rate" has to be within + / - 12 second per day.

After each TC Sub is fully assembled, I test it again on the timer to make sure all is within the proper parameter. Many times TC 2824 performs on par or surpass ETA 2824. This is a TC Sub V6 I just completed the built last night.
TC-2824-accuracy-01_zpsfc226cde.jpg

TC-2824-accuracy-02_zpsf3bb5431.jpg

And I hate to brag, this TC 2824 is qualified not just "Standard Grade", but an US$300 "Elabore Grade" movement! All 3 positions, CH, 6H, & 9H in + / - 7 seconds per day.
TC-2824-accuracy-03_zps4c37081a.jpg

Another important aspect is that besides ETA, TC 2824 maker is the only movement maker that I know which produces the H4 canon stock to the 2824 movement. The H4 canon pinon is paramount to the accuratte representation of a gen unit. Why? Please read: "TC 2824 - An ETA 2824-2 Super Clone".

Once again, I still stand behind TC 2824's performance and reliability. I also believe this US based company is here to stay in the watch world. We might even start to hear its name in the near future.

Thanks for reading!

TC

8/14/2014