When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Moving internationally with reps?

Malkovich

I suppose this would depend on the countries involved, but does anyone have any experience in moving/ relocating internationally (not just traveling) with their rep collection?

Care to share experiences?

I travel internationally a lot for work, and might only have one or two reps on me (one on the wrist), but never with my entire collection!

I believe this was discussed in some detail, but it has been several years back. I think that it would depend on where you are moving to? If you were making and international move, and you were making several trips to the new location, it might be a good idea to take a few on each trip. You could go to a local bank rent a safety deposit box, store your reps there, and add more each time you travel there. That would cost a few dollars to rent a box for a year, but you know your watches are safe.

A lot would depend on the country you are entering, and their laws. Also how aggressive customs agents in that country toward reps.

You might try to search the old threads and see what you come up with. I know that there have been members here who have moved to other countries and taken their collection with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What level of moving are we talking about here?   A suitcase, laptop and new location. -or- Moving furniture, boxes of books, cloths, computers etc?

If you are moving lots of stuff, hide them in other things... Use your imagination.  If it just you and a suitcase, well that makes it difficult.

I´ve read that posting them, 2 at a time is not a bad idea if You have somebody to pick them up locally (or to a store/café something like that) or have somebody posting them to You after You left.

You have to tell from which country to which country, it´s not the same Malaysia to China than Mexico to US

Thanks, Toro and all.

Yes, I recognize that it's very country-dependant. I'm currently CONUS-based, but my work has me traveling a lot (sometimes for weeks, sometimes for months).

So, to where next and for how long, I really don't know. Just looking for others' experience.

I wear one on my wrist and 2-4 in a travel watch case in my hand luggage.

Only once they asked me if the watches are for personal use or if I intended to sell them.

This was Italy by the way, and the customs officer hardly spoke any English at all.

Use your skills and ask him/her what local football (soccer) team the support, and from there you can't go wrong.

That's Italy of course...

• Like 1

I would be very careful about this. It really depends where you are going. In Europe the laws for counterfeits are very in-homogenous. While in Germany usually the worst that will happen is that they will seize the watch, in France you can be fined up to 300.000 € and in Italy up to 10.000 €. You can take it easy of course and just hope that you run into the friendly customs officer mentioned by another poster. But if run into someone who had a bad day or does not have enough sex you can be in a world of trouble. Just think about if this is worth it. I would never ever bring more than the watch on my wrist and one in my luggage at best. Even if the watches are not identified as counterfeits you still have to answer questions whether or not you have paid due tax for them, provide receipts and so forth.

I am not saying that you can't cross borders with 3-4 watches at a time for 100 times without the slightest glitch. I am just saying that [censored] happens all the time.

-Alex

I moved from Australia back to the UK last year mate, stressed about how best to bring my collection back over with me and I needn't have bothered  :inverted:  

I put half of them in my container, the other half (16 of them) if I remember correctly I carried in my hand luggage, went through the usual checks with no worries at all, I might have been lucky but I think you can easily travel with a few in the case and wear one too  ;) just my opinion of course !

look, i am working as export manager since 1998, usually no problems, of course, depend where you go and if you have to pass throughout custom.

If custom stop you and open you bag, most of them doesn't know that watches are reps, some others, will ask for the invoice or property docs, as maybe they can thinks you are smuggling stolen watch, so, brig a couple and that's all.

The real problem is just in France, as they are ass holes, and check for rep things, any time, going to HK via Paris it's really funny, instead fighting against the millions of muslim terrorist they has in their own land, break the tourist balls which got a bag or a watch in Cjina, it's funny to see them checking bag by bag till they founds anything, also, you'll be reported as delict against intellectual property and brands...and of course forget about your gift from China :)

I am Italian, in Italy nobody cares about rep watch, they cares about cocaine....

I live in France and damn i know how hard it is.... I travel a lot and the only thing i can say is never a rep on my wrist when i travel... Risks are too big if seized in some countries such as France... And custom are a real pain, even with a gen they are sometimes very annoying my dad owns a Breitling Gen he travels like 4-5 times a month on long trips like France-china or France-Indonesia mostly asia and he gets asked for the certificate of authenticity almost once every three month....

This is only a personnal opinion !

Tempus fugit, utere.

This was Italy by the way, and the customs officer hardly spoke any English at all.

Use your skills and ask him/her what local football (soccer) team the support, and from there you can't go wrong.

That's Italy of course...

LOL, good that I'm not a custom officer: I think my English isn't bad at all (especially considering middle age Italian people average English), and I HATE football (not that I like a lot of other sports either!) :D

The fact is that here the official foreigner language taught in the schools was (pure useless) French, until 20 years ago...

Funny thing: the custom declaration docs are still Italian and French (only) nowadays...

LOL, good that I'm not a custom officer: I think my English isn't bad at all (especially considering middle age Italian people average English), and I HATE football (not that I like a lot of other sports either!) :D

The fact is that here the official foreigner language taught in the schools was (pure useless) French, until 20 years ago...

Funny thing: the custom declaration docs are still Italian and French (only) nowadays...

No love for football thats it your grounded for a week ;)

Several years ago, I was traveling international quite a bit, always transiting through CDG. I was told on one of the gen forums about French customs. I usually traveled with a max of 3 watches. I got a dealer in my home town to make up invoices for my gen watches. I made up one for the Franken 1665 that I wore a lot. I never got checked, but I felt better that I had proof of purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several years ago, I was traveling international quite a bit, always transiting through CDG. I was told on one of the gen forums about French customs. I usually traveled with a max of 3 watches. I got a dealer in my home town to make up invoices for my gen watches. I made up one for the Franken 1665 that I wore a lot. I never got checked, but I felt better that I had proof of purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, you got a fake invoice for a Franken? LOL! That's pretty hilarious to me.

I too went through France with 3 watches.  They happend to all be Gen, (Breitling, Ball, Rolex)... and not an issue what so ever.  No looks, no questions, no scruntiny.

If you look like you can afford them and walk the walk not an issue.  If you are 22yrs old with the ~equivilant of $80,000 worth of watches, wearing cloths from Hot Topic or Wal-Mart ------ You might get challenged.

You still did not mention if you were truely moving lots of stuff from a household or just doing carry on, simple check bag. 

There are also ways to incorporate watches into your checked bag that could also go un-noticed... 

I will be going to London later this year.  I plan to take both my Gen Breitling Chronospace and a BK Sub.  One will be on my wrist the other will be in my backpack in an Oakley watch vault.  They shouldn't question something like that right?  

Also going to Canada next week gonna go with Gen Breitling and either my Tissot T-touch or Tag GC17 RS2 both Gen.  I am not too worried about Canada though.

I will be going to London later this year. I plan to take both my Gen Breitling Chronospace and a BK Sub. One will be on my wrist the other will be in my backpack in an Oakley watch vault. They shouldn't question something like that right?

Also going to Canada next week gonna go with Gen Breitling and either my Tissot T-touch or Tag GC17 RS2 both Gen. I am not too worried about Canada though.

My experience with Canada is that I just drove into Montreal from the US. No issues, they didn't even look into my car.

But I was there for an F1 race with a gen Tag F1! w00t!

Edited by Malkovich

look, i am working as export manager since 1998, usually no problems, of course, depend where you go and if you have to pass throughout custom.

If custom stop you and open you bag, most of them doesn't know that watches are reps, some others, will ask for the invoice or property docs, as maybe they can thinks you are smuggling stolen watch, so, brig a couple and that's all.

The real problem is just in France, as they are ass holes, and check for rep things, any time, going to HK via Paris it's really funny, instead fighting against the millions of muslim terrorist they has in their own land, break the tourist balls which got a bag or a watch in Cjina, it's funny to see them checking bag by bag till they founds anything, also, you'll be reported as delict against intellectual property and brands...and of course forget about your gift from China :)

I am Italian, in Italy nobody cares about rep watch, they cares about cocaine....

So for you a Muslim is a terrorist ? There are around 7 millions of Muslims in France, are they all terrorist ?

Your comment is just stupid and useless..

So for you a Muslim is a terrorist ? There are around 7 millions of Muslims in France, are they all terrorist ?

Your comment is just stupid and useless..

If he believed "a Muslim is a terrorist" he wouldn't have bothered to even write the "Muslim" part or the "terrorist" part.

As he wrote both parts together he obviously doesn't believe all muslims are terrorists.

It certainly could have been phrased better, but your logic in interpreting his words is flawed.

If he believed "a Muslim is a terrorist" he wouldn't have bothered to even write the "Muslim" part or the "terrorist" part.

As he wrote both parts together he obviously doesn't believe all muslims are terrorists.

It certainly could have been phrased better, but your logic in interpreting his words is flawed.

Anyway his stupid comment doesn't have any purpose here

• 2 weeks later...