When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Recommendations for a sub

pt1803

Hey guys,

I'm new to this and have read into this topic for quite a while..

I wanted to get a sub that looks as close to a gen as possible "out of the box". I don't have any knowledge about modding nor do I want to do it. I've been thinking about getting the V3/"V4" from noob. As I've heard that J12 is not as good as noob or bp. 

Plus I don't want to spend more than 400$ on it. So I guess I should probably get the noob right ? 

Another question is: Are there any good tt reps out there ? I'd love the blue TT but I don't think theres a rep that is on par with the noobs right ? Its either the gold fading or the dial is too purplish. 

thanks buddy

Hi and welcome. today I´m just going to answer this in a different way I use to. You are asking for the actual best version of the ceramic submariner 116610. That is the Noob V4. It is not a sub that looks as close as possible to a gen out of the box. The engravings on the rehaut are too shallow, You are lucky already if they are well aligned. The ceramic insert of the rep is painted in white, the gen is platinum - so there is a quite obvious difference and sure tell. The good things are: the lume is good, the bracelet with the glide-lock clasp is comfortable and adjustable, the ceramic bezelring has been improved but somebody still forgot to paint the numbers in the right colour, so "it´s not good otb, it´s less bad". Don´t worry, I have a BP ceramic as well which is worse (and much cheaper) than the noob V4 and still wear it a lot.

On the 5-digit submariners (like the 16600 BP Seadweller or the 16610 TC) starting with the insert 1.) it looks metallic and is made of aluminium (like the gen), 2.) older Rolex models did not have a rehaut engraving so these don´t have either .... You are starting to see the tip of the iceberg for the question "get a sub that looks as close to a gen as possible "out of the box"."

For the looks: Noob V4 = 65% gen (the sold out V3 was better) TC = 90% gen

The TT is better in black, if I could choose again I´d take the full gold with black dial, although normally I don´t wear gold watches or the Tudor Blackbay in blue.

To finish the story: pics of the purple dial - no fading gold

1024_N9784cr.jpg

TT_0022_zps0e598997.jpg

BP Seadweller (starting at $239 with Asian ETA or $188 with 21j)

sd_1023_0455_zps65639e69.jpg

first of all, thanks for the answers guys ! appreciate it especially for your effort nightwatch. So I was about to contact TC but it seems a lot of ppl have problems with the movement atm.. And then I had a change of mind. I'd actually rather get the ceramic bezel. So it is either the BK subc or the noob subc. I don't know but I have read more positiv feedback for the noob. And I think I have read a lot of posts that said the noob v4/v3 is better than the BK. Anyway. Im going to pull the trigger on one of them. Any suggestions ? 

Also.. That TT is gorgeous dude :) ! But I#d rather get the blue one since the insert is not that blueish on the TT and the dial is amazing ! But yes the black one is more subtle and gives a classy feeling even with the gold on it. 

Edited by pt1803

My second rep, bought from Andrew back in April was this one:

http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=Rolsub096&x=34&y=11

Always wanted the two tone blue dial sub and decided to go all in with the eta movement. I feel the watch is terrific and it has performed perfectly.

I've come to prefer larger watches so it hasn't had much wrist time lately, but every time I put it on I marvel at it.

As a newbie, don't hesitate to spend less on your first watch or two. You'll still be amazed at the quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if its worth paying the 250$ extra.. I mean the asian 2836 on the noob is pretty stable right ? I'd still love to get a nice TT but there is no one that offers one that is on par with noob/bk/TC standards..

if you look at BKs feedback, youll see it seems to be worth it to everyone.

perfectly aligned dates with the right font.

aligned rehaut

aligned cyclop applied correctly.

better movement.

in the end, its up to you. if you were capable of fixing little errors like DWOs and rehaut aligning, id say just stick with a noob.

if youre not comfortable fixing these minor tells the factory almost always messes up, id say go with a BK.

i personally am not a fan of the SubC so id prob buy a TC if i got another sub.

for now, im fairly happy with a early noob 16610. i did have to align the dial and date wheel and get a new insert for it though.

read up on BKs section and see what all he does. he actually mods them quite a bit.

he also stands by his products. if you run in to problems, hell fix it for you. you cant do that with a factory noob.

at best, you might get a discount on your next order.

Hey guys, I'm new at the whole replica game and I'm trying to understand all these abbreviations. I notice people refer to "BK" and noon. I have no idea what these are. Basically I'm looking for a 43/44mm black Sea Dweller. I would like a reputable company that will supply a decent quality rep. I know they won't be exact but at least something nice and reliable. My budget is about $500 or so. Any suggestions? Thanx in advance

There's a lot of discussion in these forums regarding that exact question.   Search around, but the bottom line is that the "swiss" movements being sold in reps today are junk.   Old, used, trash of varying degrees.   

Thanx Paul. Question for you... Why would you recommend the Asian movement over the swiss

AH well. So I've made up my mind again. Its going to be either the TC or the BK. Might as well go for the best since this could very well be the only rep I'll get. TC is 545 against the 615 for the BK. I feel like I'm getting more from TC. I mean he's doing a lot on the watch. And the price is way better. 

Also, does anyone feel the difference between the DSSD and the sub ? Do you really need the arm for that ? :D

There's a lot of discussion in these forums regarding that exact question. Search around, but the bottom line is that the "swiss" movements being sold in reps today are junk. Old, used, trash of varying degrees.

Any way surely this in not valid for Sellita movements.

The TC has an Asian etaclone but you can swap the TC date wheel and genuine Eta H4 canon pinion etc over to a genuine Eta 2836 when the etaclone goes south.

The BK is ready to go with a swiss made movement.

I would go for the TC but I can exchange the movements myself. If you are worried about the TC Asian etaclone stopping and would have to pay someone to swap the movement, the BK might be the better choice.

Ceramic bezel inserts are not easy to get or swap out compared to aluminum inserts if one gets cracked or lost.

Try to go with the unmodified Asian movement. The best and first to get is the black 16610 (small marker-dots/green lume) or 116610.

The 16600 classic Seadweller (pictured) is better than both imo and in 2nd place after TC, Trusty has it and Supermirrors can get it, normally this one is also water-resistant and thickness is equal to gen. 

For the ceramic one (big marker-dots/blue lume) choose Toro, this one: http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_115&product_id=1014

There is a whole list of other "must have" Rolexes, so keep the coloured options (blue/green/gold) of the Submariner for later, it´s really a good advice as You´ll notice later.

Hey guys,

I'm new to this and have read into this topic for quite a while..

I wanted to get a sub that looks as close to a gen as possible "out of the box". I don't have any knowledge about modding nor do I want to do it. I've been thinking about getting the V3/"V4" from noob. As I've heard that J12 is not as good as noob or bp. 

Plus I don't want to spend more than 400$ on it. So I guess I should probably get the noob right ? 

Another question is: Are there any good tt reps out there ? I'd love the blue TT but I don't think theres a rep that is on par with the noobs right ? Its either the gold fading or the dial is too purplish. 

thanks buddy

I'm in the same boat as you, trying to work out what is what, there is so much info on this site it is spinning my head, Gonna read a good bit more before I make any decisions.