When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need end link help for ref. 6426 Oyster Precision

errrlend

So I have a gen 6426 Oyster Precision from 1959 that's gonna be a gift. I need proper end links. I've tried some from eBay that supposedly fit Air King 1500, but they're too short, notice the gap in the picture. Then I noticed an eBay seller with bracelets for sale pointing out his bracelets wouldn't fit pre-70s watches as the end links were different. So, this watch being from 1959, is that the case? Where can I get aftermarket parts that doesn't have this gap?

I googled some, and some say go with 57 or 60 end links on 7205 bracelet, others 557 end links on 78350 bracelet for the ref. 6426. The latter seems to be correct according to this chart, thought I don't know when this is from: http://img-2013.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/11/baryhe9e.jpg

I don't really care about what's historically correct, I just want a nice Oyster bracelet and end links without this gap. Suggestions?

Looking at the 60 end links here, they look a lot longer and gap less. But I'd prefer an aftermarket version: http://anonym.to?http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=366883

bilde-2_zps3d17768a.jpg

Edited by errrlend

First of all, get a spring bar and install the end link you have- I'm thinking you can line it up with the end of the lugs, but that's not where it will be when you put a springbar in there and install it in the holes. With the springbar in, it may move the end piece closer to the case.

You also may be able to make the end piece fit better by squeezing it closed some.

You don't say where on ebay you got your end pieces from- here's a bracelet from Riyi002 with the ubiquitous 455B end pieces

ebay.com/itm/19MM-BRUSHED-STAINLESS-STEEL-OYSTER-BAND-BRACELET-FOR-ROLEX-OLD-EXPLORER-WATCH-N/141380266460?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24192%26meid%3D829788e57e1d43fab01063c30efc8153%26pid

Those end pieces seem to fit 1500 Date watches pretty well- but yours is earlier. 

DW used to produce a 78350 bracelet with the 571 end pieces (for the early Daytonas, 6239, 6263, 6265). If you could find one of those it would be worth a try.

Or place a WTB in the Vintage Rolex Market- a 7835 would also work- it's the predecessor to the 78350

Mary at Watches International can also get you the rep 7835- that might work

Good Luck!

Thin case manual wind watches are hard to find hoods for. You will probably have to use either genuine hoods or modify aftmkt hoods to fit. Getting the hoods to touch the case and have the springbars line up with the lug holes can be a real problem because the hoods need to be longer from the springbar to the case than most aftmkt hoods that I have seen...just like in the picture. 

Many of these watches will have 14mm clasps and others may have 16mm clasps, either is correct.

Iirc some of the center links on the bracelets are not as wide as modern watches and will not work with later model hoods.

I have asked Watch International if they can help.

I have also ordered a bracelet from Yuki: http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6784664/8017259.htm - it's said to be for "old style Daytona" and has 557 end links, which is what I need, according to the chart in original post. I will see if that's a better fit.

Yuki also has this: http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6784664/10098473.htm - it's a bit expensive, but the 357 end links actually look a bit longer than usual, no? Might be what I need. Hm.

Hm, I don't know, it just seemed logic, given the shape of the end links and the shape of the lugs. Anyway, I will shortly have four different bracelets and end links to test (various eBay and Yuki), and I'll just choose the one that fits and looks best. I'll update with pictures when I can.

Here are a few examples from eBay on end links that do line up. I've always just assumed they were supposed to line up like this.

Ref. 6427 with 60 end links (I would guess the same case as my 6426):

$_35.JPG

Ref 6426 with 357 end links:

$_35.JPG

Ref 6426 with 361 end links:

$_35.JPG

Edited by errrlend

Huh. Well, color me stupid, I've never had one (rep or gen) that lined up perfectly. I just assumed they never did. I stand corrected. :)

Well, most of the Rolexes I see, don't have end links that line up. So I have no idea what's correct. Could this be what one bracelet seller on eBay referred to as «different end links on pre-70s Rolex watches»? That they used to line up, but don't anymore?

Edited by errrlend

• 2 weeks later...

To conclude:

I tried three different aftermarket bracelets from eBay - one of them made to fit vintage Air-King, the other two were for modern-day Oyster case - and the Yuki 19mm Daytona. The Yuki was the better fit by far! The vintage one from eBay was also OK. They modern day ones were terrible.

And it's no coincidence: Originally, the ref. 6426 had a 78350 bracelet with 557 end links, and the Yuki Daytona is excactly that. (On Yuki's page 571 links are pictured, but I got 557.)

oyster_zps1fb223a0.jpg?t=1410142562

PS: The end links don't line up perfectly with the lugs, as discussed above, but I guess they're not supposed to, then.

Edited by errrlend

I think it's more important as to how they fit next to the case. No big gaps that allow the end links to try to flip up. I have never really worried about the fit in relation to the lug ends. Correct size springbars are important as well. Too small will have slack and allow the bracelet to move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk