When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing a datewheel with a DWO? Any tricks or pointers?

DVNE

Hi RWG,

For the first time ever, I fudged up the keyless works on a clone 2836 BPSD. Is there a easy way of removing the datewheel without separating the DWO from it? I have seen video's on removing the datewheel but I can not seem to find any how-to's with a DWO on it.

Thanks!

DVNE

I have done it a few times.  There is really nothing to it if you can get to the 2 screws that retain the entire DW.  Sometimes the one screw is slightly obscured by the overlay, but if you use a smaller blade or go in at an angle you should be fine.  Reassembly is all about getting in at an angle.  I use Rodico to hold things in place, then screw the retainers down.

Just jump in.  If you can't access the one screw, you will have to remove the overlay.

• Like 1

You can't reach the spring with a dwo in place. Take your first and second finger and rotate the date wheel clockwise, you will line up the teeth in an opening. You'll feel it. Lift up with a single edge razor blade on the outside of the date wheel,it will pop off. To reinstall, take a 0004ths feeler gauge and slide under the date wheel against the spring, and rotate the bezel until you feel it drop down. Your done

• Like 1

You can't reach the spring with a dwo in place. Take your first and second finger and rotate the date wheel clockwise, you will line up the teeth in an opening. You'll feel it. Lift up with a single edge razor blade on the outside of the date wheel,it will pop off. To reinstall, take a 0004ths feeler gauge and slide under the date wheel against the spring, and rotate the bezel until you feel it drop down. Your done

Now this, I can definitely do (I hope!) I'll try this tonight.  Thank you Matt!

Agreed with all except that you can reach the spring on an ETA 2836-2 and similar, since it sits up so high. See my tutorial:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/159437-removing-an-overlayed-date-wheel-without-a-screwdriver/

• Like 1